My First Custom Hand Made Ukulele

acabooe

Reaction score
On Sept. 16, 2007 I started my journey to becoming a luthier.
I took an old skim board, and started stripping off the clearcoat so that I could make it into an Ukulele.
Today, May 30, 2008 I have Finished that quest.

It took over 140 hours in my spare time over the last 8 months, and every second was worth it.

This Ukulele is made of the following materials.

Plywood: soundboard, backboard, headstock veneer
Oak: Headstock, neck, and heal
Basswood: sides, patches, and inlays
Black Walnut: fretboard, and bridge
Misc. Wood: bracing, tone bars, and tentalones
Plastic: nut and saddle

I used Ping Percision Tuning Machines ( made for guitars ) and I carved the nut and saddle out of the same type of plastic that cutting boards are made of.

I have had so much fun on this Journey that I am absolutely sure that Luthiery is what I want to do for a career.

I am going to attend Hana Lima Ia school of Ukulele making this fall, and after I have graduated I will be trained and equipped to sell my creations to you, my friends and peers.

Anyway, enough of that, here are some pics, I hope that you like them.

DSC08989.jpg

This is a view of my Ukulele from the front.
It is a Tenor size, with 19 frets, and uses the fan bracing pattern.

DSC08992.jpg

Here is a view of the backboard, and the neck.

DSC08990.jpg

Here is my logo for the Acabo'oe Ukulele Company.

DSC08988.jpg

Here is a shot of the headstock from the side. This is a good shot of the tuners.

Ok, I would like to take this time to point out that it doesn't have strings yet, because I am moving to Oahu in 4 days, and don't have time to do the final set up, but the main part is finished.

Is it perfect?...........no, but it is my first try, and above all else, I am proud of my work.

Thanks to all who showed interest in my first build as a luthier.

Aloha
Acabo'oe

Congratulations on your first completed uke! That piece of work looks amazing for your very first one. I hope your transition to Oahu goes smoothly.

as soon as you slap some strings on it...you have to make a video. who knows...plywood may be the way to go.

A skim board! That's awesome! A while ago, I read about a guy who made a guitar out of a coffee table from Ikea.

Great job on your first build. I can't wait to see more.

Last edited:
congrats on the first uke! a vid of it's sound would be awesome too. can't wait to see your future works. keep it up acabooe

Congratulations!!! OMG it's so beautiful!!!

And i wish u good luck and lots of succes over ther in Oahu!!!!

Ingrit

Top Bottom