neglecting your starter uke

ilovelaika

Reaction score
anybody else feel guilty for neglecting their starter uke? i got a Lankai CK-T a few weeks ago and haven't picked up my $30 starter soprano since. i feel bad, but now that i have something nice to compare it to it sounds so janky.

My first cheap soprano is my travel uke and has been to 4 continents and 20+ states. Plus I have spent 10-15 hours working on it - new saddle, lowered action, changed the nut position slightly. So I feel no guilt about it. It sounds OK, but my solid ukes do sound better.

I keep my Makala Dolphin tuned to ADF#B so I have an excuse to play it. It's not a terrible uke or anything, I just don't like sopranos very much.

Haven't had time yet. Just got my first this a.m.

More fear about neglecting the five basses I have in the other room.

Haven't had time yet. Just got my first this a.m.

More fear about neglecting the five basses I have in the other room.

Tell me about it! I have eight basses. I play bass in a couple of bands, but unless I am gigging or practicing with a band I never touch my basses anymore. I have a uke in my hands for several hours nearly daily.

My first ukulele was an Applause soprano. Once I got my first Bushman I don't think I played the Applause again.

I have definitely neglected my Tangi soprano that I learned on (back in the iamhawaii days). At one point, I almost sold it. Thankfully, I changed my mind before anyone bought it. And I still have it, but I keep it more for sentimental reasons than as a player. I'm not even quite sure where it is. I think I stashed it back in the shelf where I pulled it out from when I first started to learn...it might be in a closet. Either way, it's well protected for when I want to take a trip down memory lane. :)

My Bushman Jenny concert gets played about as much as any of my other ukes. In fact, I prefer it for certain tunes. I just sent my Mahalo soprano to my friend's son. She and her daughter are taking lessons with me and her son wanted one too. I recently took out the Lanikai soprano and put it on the hanger in the music room so it gets some play time. That is probably my most neglected uke right now.
Regards,
Ray

I did feel guilty about neglecting my 1st ever uke which was a blue Mahalo... until I sold it!

Tell me about it! I have eight basses. I play bass in a couple of bands, but unless I am gigging or practicing with a band I never touch my basses anymore. I have a uke in my hands for several hours nearly daily.

Sounds like you play bass better than I do. I am self taught and (after two years) am just starting to feel like I'm making progress, so I am unlikely to really neglect the bass line. Love the low end, but the uke gives me a way rethink music, sit on the front porch and noodle, and play the melody line. Bit more difficult on the bass. Plus the bass doesn't make my fingers hurt. :)

Sounds like you play bass better than I do. I am self taught and (after two years) am just starting to feel like I'm making progress, so I am unlikely to really neglect the bass line. Love the low end, but the uke gives me a way rethink music, sit on the front porch and noodle, and play the melody line. Bit more difficult on the bass. Plus the bass doesn't make my fingers hurt. :)

Well, I don't know if I am any better than you on bass, but I'll have 30 years under my belt this autumn. I like uke for the same reasons you do (plus a few others). It's nice to play chords and play songs that can be recognized by non-bassists (my wife can never even HEAR bass-lines in songs, and she's been around me for over 25 years!). Plus, it's hard to take an electric bass camping. Well, you CAN, but why WOULD you???

My first ukulele got turned into the uke used for "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Ukulele" project. It has been traveling around the globe for the past year. Hopefully at UWC it will get more signatures and then be auctioned off for charity.

Only because it was a gift from my Mom. That is the only reason I don't give it away.

My trusty Makala tenor gets almost as much play time as my others. Put a low g on It a while back and still enjoy the sound of that uke!

I neglected my tenor for the longest time only because I didn't take it to college with me (I know, I should've brought all of my ukes, what was I thinking?). Now that I'm home for the summer, I've been playing it almost as much as my sopranino (although now my soprano stays in the case because my Ohana does a better job of being a soprano than it does).

I don't feel so guilty about ignoring my starter instruments as I do ignoring my main instruments. I like to stay loyal to just one of 'em.

I only neglect my starter uke because I'm not in a baritone mood often enough. If I had some low GCEA strings on it, I'd use it a lot more.

My first ukulele is a Lanikai curly koa concert.I have since then acquired a Kanilea tenor low G and a kanilea soprano long neck.I must admit I love all 3 of them and play them all equally.

Top Bottom