PDA

View Full Version : neglecting your starter uke

ilovelaika
05-29-2010, 03:24 PM
anybody else feel guilty for neglecting their starter uke? i got a Lankai CK-T a few weeks ago and haven't picked up my $30 starter soprano since. i feel bad, but now that i have something nice to compare it to it sounds so janky.

KevinV
05-29-2010, 03:30 PM
My Makala MK-S is my starter and gets played at work every day. It's one that I can be without for the weekend, but sounds so good when I'm looking for a respite from the grind and it's the only one there.

Pondoro
05-29-2010, 03:45 PM
My first cheap soprano is my travel uke and has been to 4 continents and 20+ states. Plus I have spent 10-15 hours working on it - new saddle, lowered action, changed the nut position slightly. So I feel no guilt about it. It sounds OK, but my solid ukes do sound better.

FourChordWonder
05-29-2010, 03:55 PM
I keep my Makala Dolphin tuned to ADF#B so I have an excuse to play it. It's not a terrible uke or anything, I just don't like sopranos very much.

oldrookie
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Haven't had time yet. Just got my first this a.m.

More fear about neglecting the five basses I have in the other room.

Chris Tarman
05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Haven't had time yet. Just got my first this a.m.

More fear about neglecting the five basses I have in the other room.

Tell me about it! I have eight basses. I play bass in a couple of bands, but unless I am gigging or practicing with a band I never touch my basses anymore. I have a uke in my hands for several hours nearly daily.

SailQwest
05-30-2010, 12:11 AM
My first ukulele was an Applause soprano. Once I got my first Bushman I don't think I played the Applause again.

experimentjon
05-30-2010, 12:22 AM
I have definitely neglected my Tangi soprano that I learned on (back in the iamhawaii days). At one point, I almost sold it. Thankfully, I changed my mind before anyone bought it. And I still have it, but I keep it more for sentimental reasons than as a player. I'm not even quite sure where it is. I think I stashed it back in the shelf where I pulled it out from when I first started to learn...it might be in a closet. Either way, it's well protected for when I want to take a trip down memory lane. :)

Raygf
05-30-2010, 12:53 AM
My Bushman Jenny concert gets played about as much as any of my other ukes. In fact, I prefer it for certain tunes. I just sent my Mahalo soprano to my friend's son. She and her daughter are taking lessons with me and her son wanted one too. I recently took out the Lanikai soprano and put it on the hanger in the music room so it gets some play time. That is probably my most neglected uke right now.
Regards,
Ray

Dusepo
05-30-2010, 01:14 AM
I did feel guilty about neglecting my 1st ever uke which was a blue Mahalo... until I sold it!

oldrookie
05-30-2010, 01:31 AM
Tell me about it! I have eight basses. I play bass in a couple of bands, but unless I am gigging or practicing with a band I never touch my basses anymore. I have a uke in my hands for several hours nearly daily.

Sounds like you play bass better than I do. I am self taught and (after two years) am just starting to feel like I'm making progress, so I am unlikely to really neglect the bass line. Love the low end, but the uke gives me a way rethink music, sit on the front porch and noodle, and play the melody line. Bit more difficult on the bass. Plus the bass doesn't make my fingers hurt. :)

Pippin
05-30-2010, 02:02 AM
The old soprano will get over it.

Chris Tarman
05-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Sounds like you play bass better than I do. I am self taught and (after two years) am just starting to feel like I'm making progress, so I am unlikely to really neglect the bass line. Love the low end, but the uke gives me a way rethink music, sit on the front porch and noodle, and play the melody line. Bit more difficult on the bass. Plus the bass doesn't make my fingers hurt. :)

Well, I don't know if I am any better than you on bass, but I'll have 30 years under my belt this autumn. I like uke for the same reasons you do (plus a few others). It's nice to play chords and play songs that can be recognized by non-bassists (my wife can never even HEAR bass-lines in songs, and she's been around me for over 25 years!). Plus, it's hard to take an electric bass camping. Well, you CAN, but why WOULD you???

sukie
05-30-2010, 04:03 AM
My first ukulele got turned into the uke used for "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Ukulele" project. It has been traveling around the globe for the past year. Hopefully at UWC it will get more signatures and then be auctioned off for charity.

wickedwahine11
05-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Only because it was a gift from my Mom. That is the only reason I don't give it away.

kenikas
05-30-2010, 05:53 AM
My trusty Makala tenor gets almost as much play time as my others. Put a low g on It a while back and still enjoy the sound of that uke!

StereoJoker
05-30-2010, 09:43 AM
I neglected my tenor for the longest time only because I didn't take it to college with me (I know, I should've brought all of my ukes, what was I thinking?). Now that I'm home for the summer, I've been playing it almost as much as my sopranino (although now my soprano stays in the case because my Ohana does a better job of being a soprano than it does).

I don't feel so guilty about ignoring my starter instruments as I do ignoring my main instruments. I like to stay loyal to just one of 'em.

haole
05-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I only neglect my starter uke because I'm not in a baritone mood often enough. If I had some low GCEA strings on it, I'd use it a lot more.

SailorQwest
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
My 1st uke was a 20$ Rouge Ukulele starter kit. I gave it to my nephew.

Big Bob
05-30-2010, 03:45 PM
My first ukulele is a Lanikai curly koa concert.I have since then acquired a Kanilea tenor low G and a kanilea soprano long neck.I must admit I love all 3 of them and play them all equally.

CountryMouse
05-30-2010, 06:08 PM
anybody else feel guilty for neglecting their starter uke? i got a Lankai CK-T a few weeks ago and haven't picked up my $30 starter soprano since. i feel bad, but now that i have something nice to compare it to it sounds so janky.

My starter uke, a little Mahalo covered in tropical fruit, still needs more work on the action. But I try to play all my ukuleles so none feels neglected. In fact, I played my fruity uke just a day or so ago. I just like to get various ones out and listen to their different sounds. Different songs sound good on different ukuleles.

What you might do for your starter is try different strings on it. I am still not happy with the fruity one's sound--too "tin can". I need some mellower strings for it (it has Aquilas at present). My Makala Dolphin, however, came with Aquilas, and it sounds sweeeet.

P.S. That photo is when the Mahalo had Worth Brown strings on it (ugh! wrong choice!) and no real strap yet.

CountryMouse, who has eleven (11--eeep!) ukuleles at present!

ilovelaika
05-30-2010, 07:24 PM
What you might do for your starter is try different strings on it. I am still not happy with the fruity one's sound--too "tin can". I need some mellower strings for it (it has Aquilas at present). My Makala Dolphin, however, came with Aquilas, and it sounds sweeeet.

there's a thought. my little savannah has aquilas on it now, maybe i should swap. i've heard good things about ko'olau gold strings....

ilovelaika
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
My first ukulele is a Lanikai curly koa concert.I have since then acquired a Kanilea tenor low G and a kanilea soprano long neck.I must admit I love all 3 of them and play them all equally.

okay, but it's a little different when your starter uke costs $200+. better quality starter means you're less likely to neglect it. :)

arashi_nero
05-30-2010, 08:07 PM
okay, but it's a little different when your starter uke costs $200+. better quality starter means you're less likely to neglect it. :)

yeah, i don't know how much i agree with that last sentence. my soprano is more than 40 yrs old and has a plastic fretboard. probably cost my grandpa about $10 when he bought it for my dad lol. when i bought my tenor, i almost stopped playing the soprano except when i wanted to play something in the bedroom right before going to bed, but it sounded horrible. but i changed the strings (first time in 12 years) and fixed the saddle and now i play my cheapie soprano as much as i play my tenor and concert eleuke. its like country mouse said about different strings making a difference. someone else said they play their different ukes for different songs, i love the sound of each of my ukes because they're different. it's like my kids, i love them all because they're not the same lol.

ricdoug
05-30-2010, 09:00 PM
My first uke was a Kima Music Products Nene. I still have 2 of them:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858Ukulele14.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858AXL1.jpg

My "beater" is the one I perform with at least 2 times a week. It's an
Ovation/Applause UAE20 accoustic/electric soprano. My black one's
been around the world, including being consitently being splashed on
in the china Sea in 100 Islands, Philippines:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858Ukulele110.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/35858Ukulele111.jpg

ricdoug
05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele228.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/ukulele324.jpg

I've got around 5 dozen amps. Not all are displayed here:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Keyboard1.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele460.jpg

ricdoug
05-30-2010, 09:26 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele562.jpg

thisnthat
05-31-2010, 08:45 AM
I only have my little Lanikai uke so I've got nothing to neglect it with. I'm hoping to get a concert size later in the year but I'll probably switch between the two. (She says now, watch me eat my words.)
I'm sure I'll move onto something else a bit better one day but I'm going to squeeze some more life out of this one first. ;)

SeanKy671
05-31-2010, 09:56 AM
I have also neglected my starter uke which was a concert koa oscar schmidt 0U5.
And YES I feel guilty...
Many many people have tried to get me to sell it, but I can't bring myself to do it.\
It never gets played, and I feel terrible lol idk why hahaha

allanr
05-31-2010, 10:36 AM
I seem to have come down with a severe UAS infection.

My first uke was an anonymous loaner, which I re-loaned to my wife when I bought my actual "first" uke, a lovely soprano Kala travel uke. This week the plastic fret-board, turtle-decalled loaner is going home to the folks that keant it to me. I bought a Gold Tone concert sized banjo ukulele a couple weeks ago that I just LOVE, and today I saw (and bought) a very lightly used Martin S-O which looks and sounds awesome, even with the original Martin strings on it. My wife is getting the Kala as "her" first real uke now, so I guess it will only be sort-of missed and hopefully now that she owns a uke of her own, my wife will play her mor often...

allanr
05-31-2010, 10:37 AM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele562.jpg

such a handsome couple!

hugmepleaze
06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm pretty certain the uke I learned on was a novelty item, and it was also busted into many pieces and glued back together when I was playing it. It doesn't stay in tune. But still when I see it I will pick it up and just play it even when it is ridiculously out of tune.

SweetWaterBlue
06-05-2010, 12:47 AM
My first uke was a Kala laminate tenor. When I first got my Flea, neglected the Kala. Then I got my Ohana soprano, and I neglected the Kala even more. For the last couple of months I have really been into the the tenor again (with a low G now). I never feel guilty about neglecting inanimate objects, but I do occasionally think about getting rid of the ones I no longer play. Then, I remember how the tenor came back, so who knows when I might start playing the soprano again?

Its hard to be monogamous for life with a uke.

kissing
06-05-2010, 04:08 AM
My starter was a Mahalo mahogany laminate soprano with passive pickup.
It didn't sound very good, and the intonation was pretty bad. So I had it hung on the wall for a while.

The other day, I didn't have any acoustic ukes with me, just my electric Risa. I felt a very strong urge to play something acoustic, so I got the Mahalo off the wall and tightened the strings on it (Addario).

It did not sound very good with GCEA tuning, so I cranked it up to ADF#B, and it sounded much better.
So if you have a cheapo uke that sounds bad with GCEA, try tuning it higher :)

Waterguy
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
My starter was an accident. I was wandering around my town's sidewalk sale and I bought what I thought was a small guitar. I brought it home and showed it to my dad, thinking he would say I got a good deal. He instead informed me that I had purchased a ukulele (Yay Dad!!...this was mid seventy's and I give him props for knowing what I had). I learned 3 chords on that instrument and played the heck out of it for a few months. No idea what happened to it. I picked up the instrument again over 30 years later due to a number of reasons, Jake's "Weeps" video being high on the list. The uke I bought was a yellow Mahalo. I thank Mahalo for making a cheap enough instrument that CT music store's carried them 2 year's ago. At this point, CT music stores are starting to wake up to the uke, but not really. I consider the Mahalo to be my second starter uke. I gave that one away to a complete stranger when my uke club ended up playing for someones wedding. I thought it might be a good gift for the bride and groom. No idea what happened to either of the ukes I've talked about but I certainly haven't been playing either of them. I now own a Kanilea' K1T and that is what jumps out of the case and into my hands every day.

janeray1940
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
My starter was my Ohana SK-20S, which I bought out of desperation when my first uke class started and I hadn't yet found the vintage uke of my dreams. As soon as I found my dream uke (which turned out to be not so dreamy, but that's another story) the Ohana got neglected for *months*. I almost gave it away, then a few weeks ago I put some Aquilas on it and was pleasantly surprised, so it's begun to get some play time too. No guilt here!

dianalele
06-06-2010, 07:50 AM
so guilty!
My starter uke, an oscar schmidt concert uke, lived all alone in the closet, never seeing the light of day for 5 months after I got my new uke.

But it holds true that distance- or time apart- makes the heart grow fonder. I took it out a few weeks ago and realized it's really not a bad little uke. it's actually pretty good! poor thing, always getting beaten out by my cordoba tenor.
Now I'm learning to spread the love more.
and I just realized how crazy i sound. is there a ukulele mental institution?

StereoJoker
06-06-2010, 10:37 AM
and I just realized how crazy i sound. is there a ukulele mental institution?

If there was one, I'm sure 88%* of us would be admitted already. I know I would!

(*I'm factoring 10% as luthiers who can control themselves, and the remaining 2% who have ironclad willpower.)

Skrik
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Neglected? Not so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/gammelost/06062010233.jpg

The tuners have gone on my baritone, the neck and the bridge will be going on a cigar box, the rest of the body will keep me warm for a few minutes next winter.

Pukulele Pete
06-07-2010, 01:56 AM
My first uke is a Hawaiian souvenir uke. It looks like a Duke komonawhatshisname uke,it says Hawaiian
Ukulele across the front. It's an old koa laminate I got on Ebay. I adjusted the action which cured the intonation problems, added Grover tuners and Aquilas and I play it more than my other ukes because it hangs on the wall next to my computer. I live in the Northeast and the humidity and lack of it doesn't seem to affect it. Because it is always out it is the one that gets played the most. The ukes I have that are in cases don't get played as often.

ilovelaika
06-07-2010, 06:23 AM
i figured out a solution to my guilt. sell it at half the cost i got it at to a good friend who's been dying to start learning. then put that $20 towards something nicer. win-win. no more guilt, and soon a nice new lanikai spruce-top concert in my hands.

1994deano
06-07-2010, 11:28 AM
the best thing to do with a neglected uke is to turn it into an eye catcher

mm stan
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Aloha All,
Just wanted to add that I still enjoy my starter uke, since then I have had the oppertunity to have
other more expensive ukes. However, I still play my starter mostly every few days. It's the second
one I would grab aside my latest aquesition. It is an Rogue RU-12 that I bought from musician's Friend
for $24.95. I like the sound and the playability from it. While it does not have the deep rich and bright
tone and substain, it has a sound and tone I am very fond of and it stays in tune and it is easier to tune and play. Since then I bought two more of these same ukes and tried different strings on them.
While I would reccommend this uke for any starting uke player, I bought about ten of them for gifts
and one out of ten was a dud. I can't blame them for that, because these are low cost and mass
manufactured ukes and I think I'm lucky for a low number maybe to their high company standards.
I even like the original strings on them and one I have'nt changed for over a few years and it still
sounds good to me. Even the neck is nice and thin which give it an easier playability too. the satin
finish when I received it was polished with an auto polish with many coats to give it a gloss finish.
So it looks kinda nice to me.(nu- finish auto polish) when learning new songs or techniques, I
would grab this one and learn on it then move on to my other ukes. Somehow it's easier on this
one, you'd have to try it to understand..... Anyways Keep um strings vibrating, uke on!!!!

kilaana
06-07-2010, 05:25 PM
I think the best thing you can do with a neglected starter uke is to give it to someone who doesn't have a uke. I gave my first uke to my partner's daughter, and she just loves it... plays it all the time. This is much better than letting the uke just sit in a closet!

Chris Tarman
06-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I think the best thing you can do with a neglected starter uke is to give it to someone who doesn't have a uke. I gave my first uke to my partner's daughter, and she just loves it... plays it all the time. This is much better than letting the uke just sit in a closet!

I gave my REAL first uke (a Santa Rosa soprano from Musicians Friend) to my 5 year old nephew last summer after I got a better uke (a Kala laminated mahogany gloss concert). I don't know if my nephew plays it at all anymore. He was maybe a little young when I gave it to him. I know he still has it though, and as he gets a little older I hope he'll learn a few things. He's my wife's sister's son, and I have to admit, I think he doesn't like me. Not that I can blame him... he sees me twice a year at most, and I am just some old scary guy who tells him not to kick dirt into the Dutch Oven when I am cooking on our annual camping trip together. I am sure as he gets older he'll warm up to me... I HOPE, lol. And hopefully he'll warm up to the uke too. He sure watched me a lot when I was playing mine on the camping trip last summer.