Trying New Strings

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After finding nothing but Martin strings at my local music stores I decided to go on an Ebay shopping spree. I'm currently using Aquila's and really like them but wanted to see if there's something that is a better match for my 'uke.

My main gigging instrument is a Kala Acacia Tenor that I installed a Mi-Si pickup system in. I do a fair amount of fingerpicking and find that it is tearing up my A string. In an effort to find what will work best for the mix in my band and my style I just ordered...

• D'Addario J54 Black Nylon
  • D'Addario Pro Arte Clear J71
  • Ko'olau Alohi All Plain
  • Black Line Flourocarbon
  • Kala Red metal wound C
  • Worth Clear

I'm staying away from low G for now as I really like the traditional tuning. This should give me plenty to experiment with for a while.

Any observations on the above mentioned strings are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Worth clears are my favorites next to Worth browns. The browns are more mellow while clears have a bit brighter of a sound. I like the Pro Artes on my Kanile'a. They sound a lot like the clears to me but the actual strings are fatter.

Just ordered some Worth's Low Gs for my tenor - can't wait to try them!

I've tried several of those brands, plus a handful of others. Most of them were okay. Some I liked better than others. Part of my string issue is that my concert fingerpicking needs to not get lost against my husband's tenor strumming.

But no matter what brand, my A string always goes bad first. :p

My main gigging instrument is a Kala Acacia Tenor that I installed a Mi-Si pickup system in.
I am really interested to know your opinion of the Mi-Si pickup system. Would you go for that again? Does it sound good with the Kala Acacia (I have the same model)? Do you notice a big difference between charged and uncharged ie. between active and passive? Did you DIY or get someone to fit it?
Penster

I'll probably try the Worth's first. I'll have to look into a set of the Brown's too, although with the Acacia I think accenting the high's is a good thing. The wood seems to be naturally mellow so I don't want to subdue it anymore.

I am really interested to know your opinion of the Mi-Si pickup system. Would you go for that again? Does it sound good with the Kala Acacia (I have the same model)? Do you notice a big difference between charged and uncharged ie. between active and passive? Did you DIY or get someone to fit it?
Penster

Hello penster,

I'm happy with the Mi-Si system. It does as decent a job of reproducing the sound as much as any undersaddle system can. All I know is that I like what I hear when I plug into the PA system. I haven't tried it passive...I always plug in the charger as soon as I arrive and by the time I get a beer cracked open and am back to my position, it's ready for the night.

I installed it myself. I don't know if you've ever installed a pickup before, but it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure that the hole you drill at an angle through the bridge isn't going to come out one of the top braces, and be sure to dress it so it's a nice smooth transition for the pickup to come through.

Just a tip...I use a metal BBQ skewer with a slight bend in the tip to install the jack. Just feed the skewer through the end hole you drill, feed the jack over the skewer through the sound hole, tip the 'uke up, and work it into position.

I installed it myself. I don't know if you've ever installed a pickup before, but it's pretty straight forward. Just make sure that the hole you drill at an angle through the bridge isn't going to come out one of the top braces, and be sure to dress it so it's a nice smooth transition for the pickup to come through.

Just a tip...I use a metal BBQ skewer with a slight bend in the tip to install the jack. Just feed the skewer through the end hole you drill, feed the jack over the skewer through the sound hole, tip the 'uke up, and work it into position.
Thanks for the advice.
Penster

you are on the slippery slope of a million string changes, much as I did... (see - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2009/11/all-things-strings.html )

My current set up which I think I am sticking to is...

Cheap ukes, such as Makala Dolphin - Aquilas
My Fluke Corporation Flea - tried Aquilas, but too brash - now settled with Worth Browns - nice balance of warm and bright.
My Mainland solid mahog - Aquilas were overkill. Ko'Aloha golds really disappointed in keeping tuned - I have settled on Martin Flouros which really make this baby chime.
Eleuke - Aquilas

Just switched my Kala Acacia Concert from Aquilas to Worth Brown Mediums. It's mellower (I, too, was afraid of an over-mellow ukulele), but also has more clarity. My wife, who is a violinist, and has a better ear than me in many ways, says that it "sings" more than it used to. I think the sustain might be better, but can't test that in any way. The A seems to really ring.

Next step for me is a saddle replacement, as I have one of Kala's infamous wobbly saddles. Just ordered some tusq. Hopefully, that will add all the more to the clarity, brightness and ring.

I think Aquilas have good treble response, but in the low treble range. Sort of in the 1-3k range. I think maybe some other strings either have a flatter tonal response, or maybe a bit of brightness up in the 4-8k range. Dunno. But my ukulele has lost a certain brashness that it had, which I didn't like all that much.

And most of the fingernail sounds have gone now, especially when doing fingerpicking.

I'm sure I'll keep experimenting, but I'm happy so far. Except for the breaking in time, of course. Ukulele club on Thursday, so I hope they're stretched by then.......

Ukulele club on Thursday, so I hope they're stretched by then.......

Give em a pull with your fingers - its what i do - it works, can get em stretched in half a day!

Yeah. Used to do that with my classical guitar. Just not sure how much tension to apply. There's something about a ukulele's smallness which gives me pause. As if I will tear off the soundboard in my gargantuan fists (which i do not possess - always 3rd to last in PE).

Thanks, pauljmuk. Sometimes people need to tell you what you used to know. ;)

I've tried several of those brands, plus a handful of others. Most of them were okay. Some I liked better than others. Part of my string issue is that my concert fingerpicking needs to not get lost against my husband's tenor strumming.

But no matter what brand, my A string always goes bad first. :p

I think organic considerations are the best, in what context, venue, what am I looking for. What's interesting for me when I read these threads and not meant as a put down is the extent to which folks (and I've done it big time) attempt to establish a kind of uke identity (when there already is one) and/or compensate for what invariably is a particular uke's tonal ID. Frankly apart from some volume considerations, I think going against the grain is NOT the best approach ( I agree with puleluhua)...esp. near- overboard attempts for example "to brighten up" a mellower or darker toned uke end up sounding a little tacked on.

Frankly and suprisingly I actually like Aquilas with the Lanikai spruce top tenor and can get a real range (the ID of spruce) not changing strings but how I play with my right hand.

@pulelehua. Ha! Yep, you do need bit of care with ukes, I slip forefinger under and pull up about half inch, hold a few secs, retune and repeat several times.

Should we take bets on how long the wound C in the Kala set will last? ;)

A friend of mine has Worth Clears on his Kala Acacia and it sounds great. It's a pretty loud uke to begin with so the Aquilas can be overkill.

I've had a set of Worth Browns on my Kala Acacia Tenor since last september when I got it. I also put a low wound G Aquila on it coz I love a wound Low G. I also changed out the nut and saddle to TUSQ. I really like it best when playing by myself but find myself getting lost in the mix when playing with others. I just ordered a set of Worth Clear Low G in hopes to cutting thru a little more. I'm not going with the low wound aquila G this time tho, it was the first string to die and buzz when the frets cut thru the winding. I wish Worth made wound strings!!

I've had a set of Worth Browns on my Kala Acacia Tenor since last september when I got it. I also put a low wound G Aquila on it coz I love a wound Low G. I also changed out the nut and saddle to TUSQ. I really like it best when playing by myself but find myself getting lost in the mix when playing with others. I just ordered a set of Worth Clear Low G in hopes to cutting thru a little more. I'm not going with the low wound aquila G this time tho, it was the first string to die and buzz when the frets cut thru the winding. I wish Worth made wound strings!!

You could try some classical guiter strings. I'm currently using Savarez strings. You can also buy single D'Addario strings in lots of music stores. I have one but haven't tried it yet. You need to use the "D" string for the low g on ukulele.

... On the string stretching, I usually keep them tuned up a extra 1/4 step or just over until they settle to stretch them out quickly. Not enough to ruin the strings but enough to help get them settled in as quick as pos.

In the years I have been playing music, I have played most every fretted instrument known to man. The Ukulele is in my opinion more impacted by string choice than any of the rest. I believe with this instrument it is important to try many strings.

Should we take bets on how long the wound C in the Kala set will last? ;)

Have there been issues with this particular string in the past that I'm unaware of? I changed the strings to the Kala Red's last night, so we're on day 1...I'll let you know how long it makes it. The wound C is aluminum, reminds me of silk and steels. The E is also wound, but is nylon.

All but the Worth strings arrived yesterday. The Kala Red's feel like they have a lot more tension than the Aquila's that were on there. I don't notice a difference in volume between the two which is good...I have read that Aquila's tend to enhance volume and I didn't want to lose any of that. I'll give them some time, and they're definitely going to get a workout and I'll post my evaluations when it's time to change out again.

Top Bottom