PDA

View Full Version : soprano, concert, tenor or baritone?

vin_023
05-29-2010, 07:25 PM
What kind (soprano, concert, tenor, baritone) of ukulele would you recommend for a beginner like me?

What are the differences of these?

also, i visited music guy mic on ebay. i checked the shipping and handling fees and found out that they do not ship to philippines. what should i do?

DoctorFinlay
05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Personally I started with a concert as I struggled with the sopranos (I have fat fingers!) I have since bought a tenor and find this easier to play as a guitarist. If you can play some different types first that would be best as you can then pick your favourite type for yourself. Not sure how easy that is to do in the Phillipines though! Happy ukulele hunting!

d2d
05-30-2010, 03:40 AM
I had the same question when I started. I began with a tenor since it seems to be very popular on the forum. I also have big hands and didn't think I could make a soprano work. However, it occurred to me that Brother Iz and all these other big Hawaian guys have no trouble with a soprano!

In short, it's a mindset. It is what you get used to. Now I prefer the soprano! It is smaller, easier to take with you and easier to reach all the frets because it's less distance! On a tenor, it's sometimes a stretch.

My guess is many people used to guitar find the Tenor an easier adjustment so it gets preference. But that doesn't mean you won't be able to play or prefer the 2 smaller sizes.

So, start in the middle (concert size) and it's a short step of an adjustment either way you go - larger or smaller. It's also the most popular size so that seems a safe place to start.

In the end, you will have to spend time with each size to give it a fair chance so plan on buying one of each. If you really don't like one size in the end, just sell it.

Finding your size is part of the fun of Ukes.

Welcome to the revolution!:)

luvdat
05-31-2010, 06:59 AM
If you had asked me maybe less than 1 month ago I would have recommended soprano for nearly everyone. For many better first stop maybe concert to acquire fluency with less initial frustration prior to sop or even tenor later...

If a sop's OK then fine, but no virtue in starting with what could be a dealbreaker for you, esp if you've never played a fretted instrument. Those stories about guitarists and bass players who have no probs and love a soprano...yeah, they've been playing a fretted instrument for years...