No, I am not addicted to KoAlohas...this one is for a friend!

experimentjon

Reaction score
I paid a visit to the KoAloha ukulele factory the other day to visit our forums’ Kaneohe til the End…and walked out with another KoAloha tenor. This one—as much as I would love to keep it—is going to one of my best friends, who I know had been looking for one of these with the crown bridge. This post is the story of what I did while at the factory yesterday, followed by a comparison review of the two KoAloha tenors that I now have in my possession. Keep in mind that this is just one data point, and hopefully, it helps some of you in your purchasing decisions.

Factory Visit

Strangely, I have yet to do a proper guided tour of the KoAloha factory. And yesterday, I did not visit for a full-length tour. But maybe I should visit someday and tack on to a visiting tour group to learn more about their building process. Nevertheless, I got to see some cool stuff there.

First, I got to touch Brittni Paiva’s custom tenor that was in the shop for some work before the Na Hoku Hanohano awards show this weekend. It felt very solidly built, but not too flashy. The color of the koa was beautiful, and had nice grain—but it was not particularly flamed. Only real accents were her name inlaid on the fret board and the classy ebony top and back bindings. The integration of the Fishman Prefix pickup with a nice palette of onboard controls was well done and looked very high tech. Sound-wise, I would say that it felt very precise. It had lots of control at all dynamics levels, and a warm, round, mellow tone. The quality of the construction was definitely the most outstanding factor. As a custom, it felt sturdier than any of my off-the shelf instruments; it just had perfect fit and finish.

I also got a hard copy of Victoria Vox’s newest CD: “Exact Change.” The CD has the coolest packaging of any CD that I have ever seen. It has a washing machine theme, and on the cover, features water that moves, and a small fish inside! The disk runtime is a bit on the shorter side, but features nice tracks that are typical Vox—fanciful vocals with a colorful splash of ukulele backing. Definitely buy the physical copy if you enjoy her music. It adds collectabililty value over the digital download copies.

Another extremely unique piece that I saw was hidden in Alan’s office. He was doing a bit of work on it: a KoAloha soprano with a laser etched hibiscus-pattern rosette around the soundhole (they were still using a circular soundhole back then.) Alan said that there were only about a dozen or so in existence. Sadly, I neglected to snap a picture of it. Anyhow, it was the first time I had ever seen one, but I’m sure if you wanted something similar, KoAloha can do it for you as a semi-custom in their laser engraving machine.

Then I talked about ukulele current events with Alan. (Follow him on Twitter at @KoAlohaUke.) I found out that G-String ukulele closed a few months ago. I had no idea! But it would appear that they are now out of production. That’s unfortunate, since I still wanted one of the University of Hawaii G-String tenors…wonder if KoAloha would be willing to fire up that laser machine and let me order one when I graduate…. I also learned how The Ukulele House, a retailer with locations in Ala Moana and the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, came to fail. It was a real-world example of growing too fast and having cash flow problems. Selling more ukes does not necessarily mean fixing your cash problems…it may even exacerbate the problem. Ooh, I also discovered that Gordon Mark is my neighbor! I wonder if he gives ukulele lessons. :p

Naturally, since I had the chance, I played most of the ukes they had on the wall. The two that really stood out to me were the 6 String Tenor and the Soprano Pineapple. That 6 String Tenor was amazing. I’ve played some other companies’ 6-string tenors, but this one just blew them all away. The instrument had an overflowing rich tone, and was extremely responsive. I felt like it could do anything I wanted it to do—only constrained by my own lack of skill. I also got to try the tenor-neck soprano. It actually felt pretty good in the hand, and sounded very nice, and did not have the giraffe-look at all. I’d highly recommend it for anyone who likes soprano tone, but wants more fretboard space.

Then Alan offered to sell me a tenor that he had been working on. It was a 2005 tenor with a crown bridge. Long story, short, I raced to the bank, and a little while later, walked out with it.

But before, I get to the review, I must mention that Brian has found a miracle finish restorer. I saw the tenor I purchased undergo the treatment and transform from a dusty antique to looking better-than-new. What is the miracle juice? Fender/Meguiars 3-step instrument care kit. I purchased a set for myself yesterday off Amazon, it shipped today; so I will eventually be testing it on various brands of ukes to see how effective it is on other models. But I can tell you right now, that it works wonders on KoAloha’s finish. If you have a KoAloha, buy a kit. It’s fairly priced at about $25, which is about what it would cost you to buy 3 bottles of car-cleaning supplies. It wouldn’t really be a stretch for KoAloha to sell the kit at their shop to new buyers either, b/c there is a lot of synergy there.

KoAloha Tenor Comparison

KoAloha Tenors are awesome. The KoAloha tenor that I own is currently my most played of the Big 3’s tenors (Kamaka, Kanilea, KoAloha). I will turn to the KoAloha about 50% of the time when I want to play a tenor, which is a testament to how great the instrument is. But I will say that the tenor I just picked up is just as impressive—just in different ways.

The KoAloha tenor that I own is a 2003 model and a harder-to-find build. Features include: a one piece top, one piece back, one piece sides, plastic fretboard binding, asymmetrical neck profile (think the newest Gibson Les Pauls), and a string-through one-piece bridge. This ukulele embodies what I believe is the trademark KoAloha tone. I would describe it as boomy and deep, with lots of treble and bright pop in the sound. And of course, like all KoAlohas, it has tons of volume ready to be unleashed. The best part of this instrument is how easily I can get it to play loudly. It is definitely the loudest ukulele I own, and is extremely responsive all the way up to fortissimo. However, I will admit that it lacks control and finesse in the lower dynamic range.

The KoAloha tenor that I just picked up is a 2005 model. This one felt and played differently from the 2003 model. First of all, it was heavier, and felt more solidly built. The bridge was also the typical crown bridge that you associate with KoAloha—two piece ebony construction with a zebrawood accent. They also use ebony for the fretboard on this model, which is what we are more familiar with—I’m not sure what wood was used on the 2003 model…maybe rosewood…Brazilian Rosewood. In all seriousness, it still had a one piece top and one piece back, which I thought was cool, although the sides were bookmatched. An gold end-piece was also installed for use with a strap (extra feature.)

Sound-wise, the 2005 tenor has a more complex tone than the 2003 model. Whereas the 2003 plays mostly plucky bright tones, the 2005 has a more lush sound, accented by dark undertones. In my opinion, the 2005 model can play more musically. Also, it offers more control, and can play in the softer dynamics range with more precision. But while it is capable of playing relatively loudly, it cannot play as loudly as the older model. I’m not sure what factors are responsible for the difference in tone. It may be the different koa boards combined with different bridge styles. Regardless, there is definitely a very notable difference in sound.

Both sound excellent, and if you are familiar with KoAlohas, you would be able to tell that both of them are KoAlohas in a blind-listening-test of tenors from the Big Three—they both have that distinct KoAloha tone. Which one do I prefer? I lean slightly towards the 2003 model. I have yet to find another off-the-shelf instrument that is as responsive and easy to play as that 2003 KoAloha Tenor. The 2005 model is excellent, and I know my friend will love it, especially since he wanted a crown bridge, and I wouldn’t be able to keep it from him anyway. :p

In other news, as promised on another thread, I will try to write up a more definitive review of the KoAloha v Kanilea v Kamaka tenors, since I know that’s one of the major purchasing decision that we have to go through. That writeup will either go up on the forums or on my secret blog. (Probably forums first until I get a chance to proofread it…haven’t proofread this post yet.) Now that I’ve got 2 Kanilea tenors, 2 KoAloha tenors (for now), and 1 Kamaka tenor in my possession, I think I can do a pretty decent review.

Also, for other reading: How I became a KoAloha Fanboy (and bought my Pineapple Sunday and Sceptre.)

DSC_0428.jpg

The 2005 Tenor. For my friend. Really nice-looking ukulele. And crown bridge FTW.

DSC_0433.jpg

The 2003 Tenor. Mine. What a special instrument.

IMG00565-20100524-1534.jpg

Cameraphone pic of Brittni Paiva's Tenor. Hawt

IMG00570-20100524-2135.jpg

Cameraphone pic of Victoria Vox's new CD.

Last edited:
IMG00566-20100524-1534.jpg

Cameraphone pic of their seconds wall. Actually the most well-stocked I've ever seen it. Go visit and be sure to strum all of them! Caution...you might fall in love and walk out with one.

DSC_0444.jpg

2003 and 2005 Tenors. Remember, that each instrument is handmade, and no two are exactly alike. But you can easily spot a number of differences between the two model years.

DSC_0430.jpg

2005 body and tail pin

DSC_0436.jpg

2003 body

Last edited:
DSC_0449.jpg

My KoAlohas to date.

(I know it's quite a few...but the 05 tenor is going to my best friend as soon as he comes back from college. And yes, I do plan to play it until then.) :)

Last edited:
Your 2003's fretboard looks similar to my custom Koaloha, which is also Ebony, but not the typical all black Ebony.

Your 2003's fretboard looks similar to my custom Koaloha, which is also Ebony, but not the typical all black Ebony.

I thought it might be ebony too, because I have seen lighter ebony with dark streaks like that, but the grain wasn't as tight for the 2003. But it might indeed be ebony. I do prefer the darker, super tight-grained boards though.

Jon, I'm proud to call you my friend! I'll be home soon to pick it up!

I saw that laser etched sound hole when I was back in March in Alan's office. I know my little one would love it!

experimentjon wrote:
That 6 String Tenor was amazing. I’ve played some other companies’ 6-string tenors, but this one just blew them all away. The instrument had an overflowing rich tone, and was extremely responsive. I felt like it could do anything I wanted it to do—only constrained by my own lack of skill.

hi experimentjon!! I was wondering if the 6 strings tenor is the model that they call 'Imaikalani'' tenor? Did you try more than one of the 6 strings at Koaloha? Do they sound all good or there's some inconsistency from one to another one? I'm askingn since I'm quite interested to try this model. It seems to be very nice.

thanks

A PS and a Sceptre on the "seconds" wall?!!!! ACK! I would have a hard time resisting! I picked up a nice Concert from the "seconds" wall last year. :)
Thanks for the pix!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I found out that G-String ukulele closed a few months ago. I had no idea! But it would appear that they are now out of production.

This is very sad news, and it seems to be the only report of their demise on the web. I wonder what's happening to their stock?

experimentjon wrote:

hi experimentjon!! I was wondering if the 6 strings tenor is the model that they call 'Imaikalani'' tenor? Did you try more than one of the 6 strings at Koaloha? Do they sound all good or there's some inconsistency from one to another one? I'm askingn since I'm quite interested to try this model. It seems to be very nice.

thanks

Yes, I was talking about the Imaikalani, the one like the Kamaka Liliu, as opposed to the Dan Ho guitarlele style D-VI. I only played one of them, but it was just awesome--just as responsive as my 2003 tenor. Naturally, there will be differences between each individual 6-string tenor, and the one I played on their wall was definitely extraordinary, but I don't think you'll find one that you will call a lemon. It also depends on whether you want a certain color or grain pattern to the wood, as that will differ too, and is usually more obvious than the sound...at least for me. But anyway, I highly reccomend the KoAloha 6-string. Check a few of them out if you can, and I don't think you'll regret it if you are looking for a bright and loud 6-string sound.

experimentjon wrote:

Yes, I was talking about the Imaikalani, the one like the Kamaka Liliu, as opposed to the Dan Ho guitarlele style D-VI. I only played one of them, but it was just awesome--just as responsive as my 2003 tenor. Naturally, there will be differences between each individual 6-string tenor, and the one I played on their wall was definitely extraordinary, but I don't think you'll find one that you will call a lemon. It also depends on whether you want a certain color or grain pattern to the wood, as that will differ too, and is usually more obvious than the sound...at least for me. But anyway, I highly reccomend the KoAloha 6-string. Check a few of them out if you can, and I don't think you'll regret it if you are looking for a bright and loud 6-string sound.

Hey thanks a lot for the infos!!! I've always asking myself what's the purpose of a 6 strings tenor vs standard tenor? Is it more suitable for strummers or solo playing. I'm more a fingerpicking guy so I just don't know if it's something that suits for my style of playing.

An addiction is only an addiction if it's to something bad, like heroin. Your KoAloha hoarding is healthy and rational!

Your friend is lucky! Assuming it really is for a friend. ;)

I just realized that my own KoAloha tenor looks like a combination of those two: it has the same fretboard as the '05, but the same bridge shape as your '03 (except mine has pins). It's neat how so many variations on a standard model can exist!

As for six-strings, I LOVE to fingerpick on my Maui Music 6. Sounds great strummed too, but with a little practice, you can get some really unusual sounds out of a fingerpicked six-string. I imagine KoAloha makes a fantastic one.

DSC_0449.jpg

My KoAlohas to date.

(I know it's quite a few...but the 05 tenor is going to my best friend as soon as he comes back from college. And yes, I do plan to play it until then.) :)

After seeing that pic, regardless of whether the latest is for a friend or not...I still think you're addicted to KoAlohas. :drool:

I love that crown bridge tenor. I'm so very jealous....

I kind of secretly hope that KoAloha will return to the crown bridge styling on their tenors. I only dare to hope because of all the changes they made on the PS (going back to the debossed top and a spiky style bridge -- sigh, why didn't I wait to get one of those!!!) so I'm hoping they change back to the crown bridges. I think they are so distinctive looking (almost signature like) and obviously, there is a huge aftermarket amongst KoAloha fans for those "vintage" ukes that have it.

Hey Jon, does your Sceptre have an engraving on it? And what's on the side? I've been trying to figure it out, but my eyes do not feel like cooperating with me tonight.

Otherwise, yeah, that '05 tenor is one helluva beaut'. From how you've described its sound (compared to your '03 tenor), I think it would've very well been close to my Ideal KoAloha. You're a generous friend, for sure!

I kind of like the 2003 Tenor Bridge shape. It has character, without being too spiky. I also like the straight cut fingerboard that goes with it. I guess I like more simplicity than some folks. It is very interesting to see how the details effect the overall look of the uke.

–Lori

I played a KoAloha soprano in Denver about a month ago. I liked it well enough, but it wasn't GREAT. But it was the only one in the store. When I saw your picture of their "Seconds" wall I thought "Man, I need to go to Hawaii!". I imagine if I had a bit of time, I could find one I liked there, even if it was a second!

I have to ask (and I know this might be like asking which child is your favorite), which Koaloha is your favorite?

Top Bottom