PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back into the swing.

Timbuck
05-29-2010, 11:39 PM
While I was building the CNC machine..and Fixing a couple of broken down Cars..I sort of got out of building ukes for a while..so now i'm getting back into the swing again and I'm building a couple of soprano's and a tenor...this is the first of the soprano's ..usual Style"O" features dovetail neck join 1 piece neck rosewood fingerboard etc: http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT7038.jpg

erich@muttcrew.net
05-30-2010, 01:40 AM
Sweet! The wood, the finish, the classic look... real I-want-one class.

luvzmocha
05-30-2010, 01:53 AM
Beautiful!

Matt Clara
05-30-2010, 02:56 AM
It's gorgeous, Timbuck. Very clean, and the finish has character. Compliments to you and your wife. What kind of mahogany is it?

Timbuck
05-30-2010, 04:52 AM
It's gorgeous, Timbuck. Very clean, and the finish has character. Compliments to you and your wife. What kind of mahogany is it? It's an "African Mahogany" Matt ...I have to take it steady bending it, it also objects a lot to being planed against the grain, it's not easy to work with unless the tools are very sharp..But it looks good and sounds good...and I've enough to make about 30 ukes.

UncleElvis
05-30-2010, 05:35 AM
Only one thing to say, really...

WANT!

(Nice work, sir. Gorgeous.

Timbuck
05-30-2010, 05:40 AM
Only one thing to say, really...

WANT!

it is on E-bay at the moment.

Flyfish57
05-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Classic--love the FP!!

Darrel
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Very nice!

fahrner
05-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Very nice work indeed Ken. The finish is exemplary. Totally awesome:D:drool:

Vic D
05-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Beautiful uke as always Timbuck, like looking at a Martin in a music shop in 1920. One of these days I'll own one of your ukes... bet.

Steve vanPelt
05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
That's some swing. Just finished looking at all the pics on ebay. Stunning!. Can't wait to see the tenor.

Vic D
05-30-2010, 02:15 PM
OMG, You're squarepeg... lol I've seen your auctions before. It's a small world after all. That's a french polish huh... looks great.

Dominator
05-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Super, Super nice work. A thing of beauty for sure. Congrats.

I've been away from building for over a year and just a couple of months ago got back in the shop. It is like having to learn all over again but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Vic D
05-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm such a noob every day is like having to learn it all over again.. but i keep toiling away down in the dungeon like I know what I'm doing... day after day. I hope to make something I'll be proud of eventually. Until then I'll soak up the meandering output of knowledge from these cats.

zdiver7
05-30-2010, 05:57 PM
g'damn that's absolutely beautiful...

makes me itch to get started on my first!! My birthday is June 7th and I've been tipped off by my wife that everyone is getting me Home Depot gift cards so i can start to build my woodworking tool collection! :)

...on that note, too bad I can't use the HD gift cards to make an e-bay purchase and take that gorgeous uke off your hands :)

-Lenny

Vic D
05-30-2010, 06:12 PM
g'damn that's absolutely beautiful...

makes me itch to get started on my first!! My birthday is June 7th and I've been tipped off by my wife that everyone is getting me Home Depot gift cards so i can start to build my woodworking tool collection! :)

...on that note, too bad I can't use the HD gift cards to make an e-bay purchase and take that gorgeous uke off your hands :)

-Lenny

If you're ready to do you first you would be well advised to copy the greats. Timbuck's ukes are beautiful, and I'm sure, I'm absolutelty sure they sound just as beautiful as they look. There are Martin plans to be had and there is mahogany to be had. Take advantage of years (decades) of study and follow the plans. You WILL build a ukulele you are proud of right off the bat if you're very careful. Stand on the shoulders of giants before you leap. This is very sound advice.

Vic D
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm gonna have one of thos ukes Timbuck.

Vic D
05-31-2010, 06:14 AM
Dude, that uke went fast!

SweetWaterBlue
05-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Dude, that uke went fast!

That's because he isn't charging enough.

ksquine
06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Its another beauty. So when are you going to give us your secrets for finishing mahogany? You always get such a rich color and really pop the grain

Timbuck
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Its another beauty. So when are you going to give us your secrets for finishing mahogany? You always get such a rich color and really pop the grain No secrets
the grain is already there..Sand down smooth and then "Victorian wood stain" is applied" when dry " Sand down again..Re apply stain...followed by Tru-Oil...wait till dry (about 3 hours)..and then apply dozens of coats of "Button FP" at 1 hour intervals..sanding down at every 3 coats or so....Mrs Timbuck say's "It's up to you how you do it , find your own best method.. You need lots of patience.. and I don't grain fill as such , but i rub the shellac into the pores while wet..You can't rush it..and don't stop until you are satisfied with the results...and then sand down with fine paper .. then Beeswax and buffing by hand..takes about 4 to 5 days.

fahrner
06-01-2010, 11:06 AM
I read somewhere that the process of FP was like spit shinning shoes, one of the many useful skills I developed in the Navy.
Everyone had their own special technique or so called tricks. My approach was to study all the other methods which was met with mixed results.
Through that process I was able to develop my own consistently successful technique.
The point? I believe it when you say 'it's up to you how you do it' and that you have to 'find your own best method'.

luvzmocha
06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
No secrets
the grain is already there..Sand down smooth and then "Victorian wood stain" is applied" when dry " Sand down again..Re apply stain...followed by true oil...wait till dry (about 3 hours)..and then apply dozens of coats of "Button FP" at 1 hour intervals..sanding down at every 3 coats or so....Mrs Timbuck say's "It's up to you how you do it , find your own best method.. You need lots of patience.. and I don't grain fill as such , but i rub the shellac into the pores while wet..You can't rush it..and don't stop until you are satisfied with the results...and then sand down with fine paper .. then Beeswax and buffing by hand..takes about 4 to 5 days.

We need to get Mrs. Timbuck a pay raise!

maclay
06-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Welcome back. Nice work.

Jake Maclay
http://www.hiveukuleles.com/

Flyfish57
06-03-2010, 03:28 AM
No secrets
the grain is already there..Sand down smooth and then "Victorian wood stain" is applied" when dry " Sand down again..Re apply stain...followed by true oil...wait till dry (about 3 hours)..and then apply dozens of coats of "Button FP" at 1 hour intervals..sanding down at every 3 coats or so....Mrs Timbuck say's "It's up to you how you do it , find your own best method.. You need lots of patience.. and I don't grain fill as such , but i rub the shellac into the pores while wet..You can't rush it..and don't stop until you are satisfied with the results...and then sand down with fine paper .. then Beeswax and buffing by hand..takes about 4 to 5 days.

Interesting process--fantastic results! I'm guessing you're using the Tru-oil as a sealer for the stain so the shellac doesn't make a muddy mess.

Timbuck
06-03-2010, 05:17 AM
Interesting process--fantastic results! I'm guessing you're using the Tru-oil as a sealer for the stain so the shellac doesn't make a muddy mess.
That dead on right...The stain is spirit based..and the FP was dissolving it..it was only recently that we noticed that the Container small print read (Not compatable for French Polish and Shellac Base Sealers) So Mrs Timbuck solved the problem with Tru-Oil....Here are the next two in various stages of completion..the soprano is getting the bridge glued on ..and the tenor has just had 2 coats of FP with many more to follow...I took them outside to take the pic's while Mrs Timbuck wasn't looking..she dosn't like me touching them just in case I mark them.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT7069.jpg

Flyfish57
06-03-2010, 05:50 AM
I had the same problem with the alcohol based stain I use as well(obviously). I grain filled with epoxy in between. Never thought to use tru-oil--I’ll have to give that a try.