G-String Ukulele - Closed down?

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack the excellent KoAloha thread on the front page, one paragraph caught my eye:

"Then I talked about ukulele current events with Alan. (Follow him on Twitter at @KoAlohaUke.) I found out that G-String ukulele closed a few months ago. I had no idea! But it would appear that they are now out of production. That’s unfortunate, since I still wanted one of the University of Hawaii G-String tenors…wonder if KoAloha would be willing to fire up that laser machine and let me order one when I graduate…. I also learned how The Ukulele House, a retailer with locations in Ala Moana and the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, came to fail. It was a real-world example of growing too fast and having cash flow problems. Selling more ukes does not necessarily mean fixing your cash problems…it may even exacerbate the problem. Ooh, I also discovered that Gordon Mark is my neighbor! I wonder if he gives ukulele lessons. :p"

I just recently bought a second (or third)-hand G-String concert ukulele and tried to call them. Their phone was definitely not working. I sent them an e-mail and Derek responded stating that he had downsized the business and moved to Hilo. I don't know what that means for their production capabilities.

I really like the G-String concert that I got - it has a Honu tattoo on it.

Any one else heard or know anything? I would hate to see them go out of business. I know the recession has been hard.

Rich

A friend who recently returned from the 808 mentioned if you have a G-String Uke you may just wanna keep it since they're closing down. I wasn't aware Derek moved to the Big Island, maybe he'll just build em as requested or commissioned. Their website is still active.

Not positive, but on my last trip to the islands, a friend of Derek said he was having some kind of problem with his hand. Don't know if it was cut or some health issue.

Yep, derek bought a house up the road from me some time ago. I believe he has talked about this move for a while.
On the other hand, Ukulele Pua Pua opened another store in Waikiki. Both stores are doing great business. Another uke shop here on the Big island just opened it's second location in Kona as well. The ukulele is alive and well.

I always thought of G String as being up there with kamaka and koaloha. I actually liked the wood label inside the uke, instead of a sticker and thought the designs like the laser tattoos were awesome.

Is Derek shutting down production for good or just no longer making production ukes?

Maybe I'll shoot him an e-mail...

I also learned how The Ukulele House, a retailer with locations in Ala Moana and the Waikiki Shopping Plaza, came to fail.....Any one else heard or know anything? Rich

I am in contact with a girl, Gina, that teaches uku at a couple of places on Oahu and she mentioned Ukulele House in Waikiki Shopping plaza just recently on Facebook and never mentioned anything about them going under. There is also a Ukulele House Band that she plays in. I'll double check but I think they are still in business. MB Ukes mentioned Ukelele Pua Pua. Are they the same company?

I believe Ukulele Pua Pua and Ukulele House are two separate establishments. The former recently opened a new store at the Sheraton Waikiki. Ukulele House has/had 3 locations; #1 @ the Ala Moana Shopping Center, #2 in Waikiki and #3 in Waikoloa on the Big Island.

Last edited:
Looking for a G String Tener Ukulele

Hello everyone,

My name is Jack W. I own a G String soprano uke and a G String baritone uke and I am in the market for a G/S 5 or 6 Sting Tener. I just joined UU and I understand the G/S is out of business? What a bummer. Does anyone know where I may be able to get a G/S 5/6 Tener?

I am located on the Monterey Peninsula in CA.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Jack W.

Ukulele Puapua has some occasionally, but not right now.

Top Bottom