chord "B" is hard for me

tingyangs6

Reaction score
i'm having trouble with my chord "B". my fingers are short, and my uke has a longer neck. instead of buying a smaller size, what other chord can make up or sound like the b chord? thanks

have you tried barring the second fret instead of just holding the E and A strings? That might make it easier for you. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to get your hand in the right position for some chords.

Someone else may have a better suggestion for you, but I would try holding down all of the strings on the 2nd fret then using your 3rd finger (ring finger) for the G string 4th fret and your middle (2nd) finger for the C string 3rd fret...hope that helps! oh and welcome to the Underground!!

Yah!

How are you making your B chord? There are two ways to hold it:
Code:
A|-1---
E|-1---
C|--2--
G|---3-

Theres the standard way.

A|-1----
E|-1----
C|-12---
G|-1-3--

Then the barred version!

The dashes indicate the frets, and the number indicate what fingers to use. 1 is index, 2 is middle, 3 is ring, and 4 is pinky.

Essentially, you play a Bm chord, and add your middle finger to the 3rd fret of your C-string. It makes it easier to play for some people :] Just press harder.

Last edited:
If you are playing in the Key of B take the above advice but if you are playing in the key of E where B would be the dominant (or chord built on the 5th note of the scale) you can play a B7 chord (4320).

Some guitarist have trouble with that form as well (for them it's an F chord).

But here is an important question: Is your string height at the nut too high? This is VERY common in ukulele. If you see the strings bend a lot behind your finger when fretting at the first fret, this could be the problem.

When I first started playing the B was a very hard chord and I found myself shying away from songs that had the B or Bb and all forms!!! However, after practice, practice & more practice I can now fairly easily play the B and Bb. I would just grab the uke, and only try to form the B and Bb and after a short while, I found myself starting to nail one once a while. I kept at it and now have no problem.
Just keep at it and you will get it!!!!

Good point, Molokinirum.

A lot of difficult chords are like that - really difficult at first, then quite a bit easier
the more we use them.

I used to stay away from Fm7 (1313) and Am7 (2433) until I found songs that 'required' them.
Then they became easier with 'practice'.

I'm thinking FM7 (2413) will be the bane of my ukulele playing, but who knows? I might be able to actually
enjoy playing it... someday. For now I cheat with (2430). lol

Keep uke-in',

For the Fmaj7, I have a hard time with 2413 so I use 5500 and it works well for me. Fm7 I use the 5343 shape allowing me easier transition to the next chord.

Top Bottom