Has anyone ever aggravated the tendons of their strumming hand?

tuscadero

Reaction score
I played a lot over the holiday weekend and this afternoon the tendon between my index and middle finger suddenly screamed out in pain. It feels like there is a little bump between the knuckles and it's very tender to the touch. I wonder if I am holding my hand incorrectly. Has anyone ever had the pleasure of this particular injury? Any advice?

I had some serious issues with my hand after the NAMM show. Playing for 8+ hours a day for 4 days really isn't good for your hand.

Take it easy. Use anti-inflammatory medication (such as Aleve), Ice it, keep it rested. DO however continue to play, just much less than usual. Play for a few minutes at a time with lots of breaks in between.

yep, ive got RSI in wrist that i put down to my strum style. oh well, it hurts, but i aint gonna stop playing!

Nature of injury: small "bumb between knuckles" on which finger? You also talk about between fingers...

If having a hrad time extending finger with bump: "trigger finger" (bump on tendon) that later intereferes with extension, surrounding tissue...

How's the action on your uke? Good for left hand, not always good for right if too low nearer the sweet spot...IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. I am almost exclusively an index finger strummer (point your finger like a gun, turn it in towards yourself a bit, strum with the index finger.) There's actually two bumps that I've noticed, one between the index and middle finger and one that is really sore, right under the middle finger knuckles. I'm guessing they're just inflamed tendons and I've been icing them like you all advised.

I guess I was wondering if I should be strumming more from my elbow than my wrist or something that might be more ergonomic.

I would recommend wrist strumming vs elbow strumming.

Do you generally strum 'hard'? If so, take it easy.

If you already strum softly, it's hard to think of what could be causing the pain except for
use beyond the normal threshhold - playing longer and harder than usual.

If so, then rest and recuperation would seem to be the best practice.

Hope you're feeling better soon,

I wonder if it might be a ganglion cyst. That can be handled by a doctor. It sounds bad, but usually isn't a big deal. In my experience, tendonitis is much worse. I had it in my elbow when I was a kid, and it bothered me off and on for years. Get to a doctor, just to be sure. You can seriously hurt yourself.

I always tell guitar students, if it hurts, stop. Don't fight through it. Don't try to win. Your body is telling you to stop. Listen. The more you play and stop, the stronger the muscles get, the more you relax, the less strain on your tendons. Relaxing is the key. You might even find you can do the same strum in a more relaxed way.

I would also advise developing some alternate strums, just to vary the tension in your hand.

I have tendinitis etc...The best thing to do is warm up slowly before you start strumming hard. Practice slow at first, and when you are done you have to warm down also. I am sure this will help you.
www.myspace.com/killerukulele

Thanks for all of the replies. I am almost exclusively an index finger strummer (point your finger like a gun, turn it in towards yourself a bit, strum with the index finger.) There's actually two bumps that I've noticed, one between the index and middle finger and one that is really sore, right under the middle finger knuckles. I'm guessing they're just inflamed tendons and I've been icing them like you all advised.

I guess I was wondering if I should be strumming more from my elbow than my wrist or something that might be more ergonomic.

I think creating sustained between your index and middle finger by making almost a 90 degree angle? is causing it and aside from shift from wrist to elbow you need to consider some variety, finger independence even rolls that you might have ruled out as too difficult but really not for you would help, even softer sounding strums with your thumb, much less tension, variety would help.. after you give it a rest.

Related to this, I think, and it comes up in "strumming pattern" discussions is this "finding your strum" thing which IMO makes no sense considering the varieties of rhythms and music. Also, there can be the assumption that you have to strum all the the strings all the time which is common among people learning the guitar for example, like some kind of rule.

Last edited:
Top Bottom