Happy Memorial Day indeed!

Yes, Happy Memorial Day! Many, many thanks to all who served and sacrificed. You will never be forgotten.

(cool dog!)

Let's not forget the veterans who have served and those who are now serving as well as those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our country.

These heroes are dead. They died for liberty – they died for us. They are at rest. They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines. They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest. Earth may run red with other wars – they are at peace. In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death. I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead: cheers for the living; tears for the dead. — Robert G. Ingersoll

Honestly, IMO there's nothing "happy" about Memorial Day. It's a somber occasion to remember those who gave their lives to protect our freedoms. It's a time to remember that there are wives and husbands and moms and dads and brothers and sisters and kids who will have a big hole in their life forever because their loved one died in service to their country.

It saddens me that it's become a "shopping holiday" about low prices at department stores. Or that it's just another three-day weekend and an excuse to fire up the BBQ for others.

IT IS THE SOLDIER

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

- Charles M. Province

Amen brother, amen.

Happy Memorial Day and may God continue to bless our greatest members of the military as well as their families!!!

IT IS THE SOLDIER

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

- Charles M. Province

Amen brother!!!
God Bless Our Troops!!!!

Please pause a momement to remember the members of the Military who sacrificed their lives so that we may continue to enjoy the Liberty and Freedom that Americans seem to take for granted!!!

By "happy" on memorial day I wish to express that one should be happy that they get to enjoy the simple freedoms we are priveleged to enjoy (and that includes the ukulele). Nothing makes me "happy" about not ever being able to meet my grandfather who was vaporized in Vietnam. or say a last goodbye to my other grandfather who served in Patton's 3rd army in Italy. or my great uncle who served on the Yorktown at Midway. or my great aunt who was in the first wave of nurses to serve in New Guinea. I WAS "happy" on memorial day because I know my family has done it's part. .....also.... http://www.flickr.com/photos/10353028@N04/4118082197/

my cover song on youtube might also prove i'm thankful

Last edited:
I was at a event selling Snowballs. I have to make the money when I can, even Memorial Day! My dad shared with me some stories of his service in Vietnam and we had a few laughs about the funny things he did with some of his buddies. I know he saw a lot of those buddies die in the line of duty. That being said, it was a happy day as I honored those who have served and I enjoyed some uke playing in-between customers and a lot of smiles from the passing Veterans!!!

Top Bottom