Guitalele and U-tar Intonation

Dude

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Yamaha Gl1 guitalele but the intonation was so bad.... I can't really play it at all. I am wondering if there is something out there that has really really good intonation. kala U-tar owners, how is the intonation on the U-tar??? Any other recommendations on a guitalele? I wish Flea and Fluke make one soon...
thanx for your help

In NO WAY am I putting down the GL-1, but intonation problems are not unusual on cheaper instruments.
Guitars, ukuleles, banjos & all fretted instruments can suffer this ailment. There just is not that much time put into the hand finishing work on low end factory instruments.
One of th ebig difference in price of an instrument is the time it takes to build it and the amount and cost of the labor.
Getting a professional set-up can really help. If the nut and saddles are adjusted and set right not only does the action & playability inprove, but the intonation can drastically improve as well.
I have had some low and mid line instruments just have such a bad set-up that they sounded terrible. I trimmed the saddle on one uke and also had to sand the bridge down to get some string break, but after my workover the uke played like a dream and had pretty good intonation up the neck.
If you can't do the work yourself take it to a good repair guy and get it set-up with some good strings and you will be surprised. It will also be cheaper than buying another instrument.
I have played a few GL-1's and have been very impressed.

Yamaha GL-1 can sound very bad if you get a bad one!!! I owned 3 and one of the three, sounds very bad...It's has good intonation only with brand new strings but not long after, it's not possible to listen to it!!!

If you want a good guitarlele, you have to look for the Kanilea GL-6 or the Koaloaha D-VI, I owned both and they are both very excellent instruments....now we're talking!!!!

thanks

I am going to bring my GL-1 to my luthier and see what he can do... I really do like the sound of it, but can't stand playing out of tune. =)
The GL-1 was my first step into the world of Ukulele... can't wait for my tenor to arrive.

Top Bottom