Help with playing with a guitar!

vehement

Reaction score
I'm going to be practicing with my church group this Saturday and playing the ukulele. The rest of the group is an acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar and drums. I don't want to walk in there and look silly as I have never played accompanied by a guitar. I know the key and tuning for the ukulele and guitar are different, so do I play the same chords as the guitar, or something else?

My ukulele group has also asked me sometime to play the acoustic guitar with them. So I guess the same question go the opposite way. Thanks for the help.

Hi. Play using the same chords as what they are using. I do get much practice and much needed jamming sessions with our church band too. I don't join them during the actual worship service though. I just practice with them. Since the ukulele is still fairly an "odd" instrument here in the philippines, im afraid the church congregation might not worship at all and just look at me playing a funny looking small guitar. Have fun!

To answer your first question: You play the same chords as them. If they play a C, you play a C. You and the guitar folks will be doing different things with your fingers, but a C is a C. The same applies to any instrument.

The second question confuses me. Your first question made it sound like you don't play the guitar. Why would your uke group ask you to play an instrument you don't play?

Yep, the same chords but be aware that if they have a number of guitars including amped electrics the uke sound may be drowned.

Thanks guys, just what I needed. I do actually play the bass, guitar and ukulele, sorry if the post made it confusing! I have a Roland AC-33 and sometimes use the looper to record myself on one of the other to practice, but wanted an outside opinion to just be sure. I don't think I'm going to amp myself, as I'm new playing with the band and will still get used to playing with them!

Try not to watch their hands! If you see them playing what looks like your C, it will actually be a G for them, as mentioned. It takes a LOT to be able to make the switch in your head.

I'm originally a guitar player and took up bass a number of years ago when I played at church.

Quite often when a band is playing and there are a couple of guitars one is playing open chords and the other is playing barre, capo or chords/fill up the neck. As a ukulele player I would think you will probably be providing that high end.

John

So I play the ukulele with them tonight and it was the first time I played with a full band. I was definitely being drowned out by the drums and electric guitar. Not sure what I'm going to do, maybe get a signal booster pedal or something?

Top Bottom