So I'm completely tone deaf...

4string4me

Reaction score
So my Uke arrived last night (YAY!)... and I began the task of learning how to tune it. This being my first attempt at learning any instrument I thought I at least came close... I was wrong... lol. I found a cheap app for the iphone that acts as a digital tuner. For now I am going to keep practicing and using the tuner to see how close I came.

I suppose this is the best way, but if any one has recommendations for developing my 'ear' I would certainly appreciate it :).

How are you tuning it by ear? Are you at least using some kind of pitch reference (like a beepy tone or pitch pipe or piano note or something) to get at least one tuning note from?

Because even people with fairly well-developed ears can't just tune a uke out of the blue and have it wind up exactly at A = 440. That requires perfect pitch, which few folks have.

On the other hand, the ability to match one pitch to another is definitely something that improves with practice.

JJ

I have been following the beginner lessons on http://www.ukeschool.com/.

They have a note reference for each string at the top. I have been trying to match those. I am getting better, but for some reason 'E' gives me a lot of trouble. On the bright side though I playing 'Happy Birthday' and 'Twinkle Twinkle little Star' like a champ!

Search iTunes for the Gibson Learn & Master Guitar app. It has an excellent chromatic tuner within the app that I used to tune my new ukulele the first time. Best of all, it's free!

I highly recommend you try a digital clip-on tuner. They are inexpensive, easy to use even in a noisy environment, and practically idiot-proof (after all, I use one)....

tuning by vibrations of the uke

Yup,
I say get used to using the chromatic tuner first, and when you get comfortable and more experienced
then try to tune your uke by feeling the vibration when you pluk the stings for the proper pitch. It's very
challenging but eventually you'll get it. At the Kamaka factory, they used to have disabled hearing imp-
aired workers there and they were the best tuners.

Not to worry, I think a lot of us can't tune by ear at all. After using a clip on tuner for the past couple years, I can tell when a string is off a bit, but that is it. Buy yourself a clip on tuner (I like the one from Kala) and you will be playing more and tuning less!

Top Bottom