South Korea, Anyone?

Canuke

Reaction score
Hey All! I am currently teaching in South Korea and just bought a Samick UK-60 in Jongno3-ga. Awesome uke, btw. I was wondering if there are any UUers here in Korea. Let me know, eh?

That's so cool! When I spent a summer in Korea I didn't see any ukes, but I probably just wasn't looking hard enough. I remember wandering Seoul looking for what was called, "the largest instrument market in Korea," but when I finally found it, it was closed (ftl!). What sort of teaching are you doing, and how long do you plan on staying (if you don't mind me asking)?

It's cool that you're teaching in S. Korea. I spent a year teaching English as a second language in the Seoul area back in the early 90's. I had a friend at the time that played a Uke but everyone else was into the guitar. Good luck hooling up with other ukers.

hells yeah! my girlfriend and I live near gireum (north of dongdaemoon a bit) If you're in seoul it would be cool to meet up. The two of us have only been at it for a couple months, but the bug bit hard. We know another 5 people that play too.

a few of the guys that work at the music market in jongno 3ga are really tallented, but I don't really know them well. Ukes are pretty expensive in Korea (more than in the U.S.), but most things of leisure tend to be expensive here.
It's cool that you picked one up!

Last edited:
I have been here since last August and work in Yongin south of Seoul. After buying my latest uke on Wednesday, I now have three of them. Been playing for about four years now since I took lessons in Japan. I like it here in Korea, but not a hotbed of ukulele love.

Top Bottom