Completed Stewmac Tenor Build

CulpRJ

Reaction score
Here are some shots of my first ever ukulele build. It's a Stewmac tenor kit which I modified in a couple ways. Most notable changes are the cutaway and the slotted headstock.
GEDC0692.JPG
GEDC0693.JPG
GEDC0696.JPG
GEDC0699.JPG

You can watch the whole build process on my YouTube channel. Here's a link to episode 1 of 14.
Uke Build Ep.1

Wow, you sure went to town on that kit!! great job! How does it sound with the sound port? I wasn't a big fan of them until I played a Moore Bettah with one last month. Now it's on my list of things to try...

Awesome job!! How long did it take you? I LOVE the tuning pegs/gears...what a cool look!

Awesome job!! How long did it take you? I LOVE the tuning pegs/gears...what a cool look!

Thanks. Started around March 3, finished May 24, 2010, working sporadically. Re the tuning pegs, someone mentioned them here at UU and provided a link to ebay. I bought a set ($24 shipped), modified them to fit, routed the headstock and installed. I like how the koa buttons nearly match the mahogany headstock (from the rear).

That looks really nice. I'll have to check out your youtube page.
How about a link for those tuning machines? They look very slim

Congratulations on your completion, your intestinal fortitude for making the modifications you wanted and tenacity to see it through. Looks and sounds pretty good.

Great job. I just went through the video process and it was very entertaining. Congrats.

way to go your finished !!!!!!!!
finishing is one of my weak areas
looks great :)

Nicely done...and thanks for taking the time to post the video log. It is very interesting.

Pretty cool . Makes me want to do a soprano this winter. Great job on the video .

Beautiful work. Could you tell us about the strings and the saddle compensation together? What I'm looking at is new to me and I'm dying to know.

Could you tell us about the strings and the saddle compensation together?
Not sure what there is to say. Strings are d'Addario baritones. I checked the intonation for all four strings and the second string was a little sharp. A little file work moved the contact point a little to the rear and voila, perfect intonation. The other three strings were right on.

Thank you so much. Watching the video now. Wondering if you've tried tenor strings on it. One of my favorite songs... Sympathy.
BTW, it sounds fantastic, you're very talented. I especially like your piece titled Midnight Swim.

Last edited:
That's a mighty fine first 'uke. The cutaway looks great and the slotted headstock rocks! I've been trying to work out a slotted headstock; all I got was a few more grey hairs and another neck I can't use. Great job! Can't wait to see what you build next.

Steve

Watched your build videos and they were excellent! A very neat series to follow the progression of the project!

Question, for the slotted headstock, did you just "connect the dots" in a sense...? Basically, did you just route the same diameter from the top hole to the bottom? Or did you need to widen the slot(diameter of the original holes)?

Also, the tuners you used...would they have fit into the pre-drilled stew-mac peghead? Or are the tuner pegs spaced differently? Thanks for any info! :)

Last edited:
Wondering if you've tried tenor strings on it.

No I haven't. But I am curious as to how it would sound. Maybe my next string change.

zdiver7 said:
Question, for the slotted headstock, did you just route the same diameter from the top hole to the bottom? Or did you need to widen the slot?

Also, the tuners you used...would they have fit into the pre-drilled stew-mac peghead?

I made the slots slightly wider than the holes. If you've seen the video, you saw how I made a template, then cut the slots with my dremel. I used a flush-cut bit called a "drywall bit," but it works fine with wood too. The tuners do not fit the original holes unfortunately.

Top Bottom