PDA

View Full Version : Okay, so I've got my heart set on this Pineapple Uke...

AriWolf
06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Problem is, I have absolutely no experience with ukuleles. (Save playing my friend's every once and a while.) I'm having a little trouble deciding if I should get it or not, but I really, really love it already, and... Now I suppose I need to actually say what it is.

It's the Luna Tattoo Pineapple Ukulele, and there are absolutely no reviews except for a few on amazon and several about how beautiful it looks, not exactly the sound. The little reviews I found varied from 'Gorgeous sound!' to 'The strings buzz, but it can be fixed with a lower groove'. So I'm a little nervous.

First question: Has anyone played this or the other Luna Soprano? How does it sound? Has anyone found an in-depth review or, even better, a video of it playing?

Second question: Are repairs like lowering a groove something I can do as a beginner? I think if I get it and there are problems, I'd have to go to a repairman - I don't trust myself with fixing it!

Frankly, any advice at all would be really helpful! My friend is just a beginner too, and all we've got is the internet for uke advice!

cletus
06-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Probably best to go through a seller that inspects and "sets up" their ukuleles, insuring that there are no buzzes, and that the uke will stay in tune(VERY important).

My uke came with a case and a tuner, also important.

Check out ebay- musicguymike is HIGHLY rated, and for good reason.

Best wishes in your search!

AriWolf
06-03-2010, 05:20 PM
This isn't the first time people have suggested I try musicguymic :) Is he one of the sellers that sets 'em up? Thanks so, so much for replying! There's a lot I just don't know about ukuleles yet.

Chris Tarman
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
This isn't the first time people have suggested I try musicguymic :) Is he one of the sellers that sets 'em up? Thanks so, so much for replying! There's a lot I just don't know about ukuleles yet.

Yes, musicguymic sets up the ukes he sells, and upgrades the strings to Aquilas (which are very popular, although not universally loved.. but still better than the stock strings on most ukes). He dresses the frets so they don't have rough edges, and makes sure they are level and that the uke plays in tune with itself all the way up the neck (or as close as possible). I've bought 3 Kalas from him, and they all play very nicely. He also usually includes something like a chord book or a tuner, and most of his items have a case. You can probably get the same ukes for less someplace else, but for a little more money you can get them from him with a case and nicely set-up. Most places don't bother (or know how) to set up a ukulele, especially with less expensive ukes.
He doesn't carry Luna ukes, but has other reputable brands in the same price range.

AriWolf
06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
:( too bad the ukulele I want is so new. It isn't even on ebay, much less in musicguymic's store. Would a place like Guitar Center have/refer me to someone that could repair a ukulele if it came with a few problems? Or maybe a different music store.

BadLands Bart
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM

You just answered your own question!! Can't go wrong with MGM especially for your first uke!

dparrothead1
06-04-2010, 10:58 PM
http://ukulelehunt.com/buy-ukulele/brands/luna-ukulele/