Lanikai (Kanilea'a) Solid koa soprano (LK-1S)

Gillian

Reaction score
I just indulged my UAS, but before I did, I did some research and found that Kanile'a made (note past tense) some solid koa ukes for Lanikai. If you compared one of these Lanikais against a Kanile'a costing at least $225 more, the only difference is the name on the headstock, inside label and the price. Same shape, bridge and pins, chrome Grover tuners, gloss finish, abalone dots, everything. This little Lanikai/Kanile'a is gorgeous. The inside label says "handcrafted 'ukulele built in Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii"

I heard that Kanile'a told Lanikai that the demand was now great enough that they could sell their ukes on their own so they stopped making them for Lanikai. Is this true?

This may be ancient knowledge to many on this board, but to anyone looking for a great opportunity to get a handmade Hawaiian uke without paying $600+ for one, try to find these few Lanikai's that remain out there in "ukulele land".

I've gots me a concert size, sounds very nice. Still needs to open up a bit, and perhaps get new strings. But overall, it's good. And everything you have said was what I had speculated in my book. You don't hear much from the Kanilea companies or the Lanikai companies about the product... it's like a child that caused a divorce XD

I found one on ebay and I am going to pick it up the second I get the funds. There's a scratch on it but getting what's basically a Kanile'a K-1 Soprano for about 250 is such an amazing deal. I hope none of you guys pick it up now just because I mentioned it haha.

If you compared one of these Lanikais against a Kanile'a costing at least $225 more, the only difference is the name on the headstock, inside label and the price.

Close but there is one key difference.
the (newer) Kanile'as have what they call TRU bracing

Most Lanikai LKs have a more traditional bracing seen on the older Kanile'as
I recall reading a quote from Joseph Souza which led me to believe there may be a few LK Lanikais that have the, newer, TRU bracing.

take a look inside your LK and let us know what type of bracing you have
truBracing.jpg

I found one on ebay and I am going to pick it up the second I get the funds. There's a scratch on it but getting what's basically a Kanile'a K-1 Soprano for about 250 is such an amazing deal. I hope none of you guys pick it up now just because I mentioned it haha.

If the one I saw on eBay is the one you are referring to, it's not a scratch, but a crack below the bridge that the seller said was professionally patched, whatever that entails. But if playability isn't affected, then that IS a good deal.

Kanile'a also made there "Nalo" line of 'ukuleles which have the same great quality and sound but usually sells for quite less than one with the Kanile'a label on them. All the Nalos I've seen had sound boards made from Spruce or Cedar, and if I recall the sides and back were non-native wood (not Koa) though not sure if all Nalos came this way. If you see one grab it! I saw one on local Craigslist, a tenor selling for $125 with hard case, referred a local UU'er to it and he scored! If it was shaped right (like a pineapple) I would have grabbed it myself. ;)

Top Bottom