'The Mighty Uke': A Musical Underdog Makes A Comeback

UkeyLove

Reaction score
I love the last paragraph. It pretty much sums up my musical philosophy these days, and why I like the uke so much:

"'For centuries, music was an integral part of our lives. All of us played music or knew someone who did,' Coleman says. 'Then, at the beginning of the 20th century, the record player came along and all of a sudden we weren't good enough. We were encouraged to listen, to be passive listeners. And I think that we lost something very fundamental to our souls: making music together'."

JJ

Just heard it on NPR this morning on my way to work. I love documentary films, I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one.

I love the doc, the writeup, and the producers. I met them at NY UKe Fest, they are so nice!

That was kind of nice hearing that on NPR this morning. I also like that theory about the phonograph encouring people to be passive listeners.

I love this article. Thanks for sharing. i gotta keep my eye out for this documentary.

I agree completely!
Just started playing three months ago and love it. Each morning, after a good cup of joe, the uke beckons. I can't resist. Finally, the chords, lyrics, and, to some extent, the strumming are coming together. What a feeling of accomplishment!

I am so looking forward to playing with others...Elderley Instruments this month, and, hopefully, with the Corktown group in September. Looking forward to learning and growing into a musician. It will be a long, but, rewarding journey!
Especially, with the mighty uke as a companion.

I agree completely. It is the people's instrument. Some uke players hate when someone might say it is easier than guitar or that people don't take it seriously, but that is why I love it. From my experience on this forum, Uke players don't judge each other. They help each other out and encourage each other. It just makes everyone smile.

Great that it's making a comeback!

But what caused its original setback?

Thanks for the heads up on this segment! I loved it! I noticed there are several other ukulele related articles over the last few years...that's cool!

It's really frustrating that this documentary is not showing anywhere near me, and it's not available on DVD. It's quite annoying.

Hang in there Jim, the movie is quite good and hopefully the DVD won't get delayed again. I think initially it was supposed to come out in January, then May, now I think I heard the Fall. But it is worth it, hopefully we won't be waiting much longer than that for the DVD.

I'm an NPR junkie, and I was surprised and delighted when I heard this on my way to work this morning. I was lucky enough to see James perform live back in April, and he totally knocked my socks off - he's my official ukulele hero.

NPR has done several ukulele-related stories recently (over the last few years).

Top Bottom