New Kala Spalted Maple with Spruce top

lozarkman

Reaction score
I ordered a Kala Spalted Maple with spruce top tenor two days ago and supposed to be delivered Monday. From MGM and am impressed with their free UPS shipping and service. This Uke is supposed to be a limited edition from Kala according to MGM. Anyone know what this means: only certain number being produced, or until spalted Maple runs out? Does anyone have any experience with the spalted Maple wood and this particular Uke? Thanks! Lozark

I have one! I am in love with it! I sell Ukes and people see mine and ask "How much is that one?" and they seem dissapointed when I tell them it is not for sale! It is a nice and loud uke! Sounds just as good as it looks! You will enjoy yours!

I have a concert version. It plays quite nicely, but comapared to my solid wood ukes, its sound is much more muted and duller. Mainly due to the laminate and the amount of gloss coating on it I think.
Tuners work nicely, plays nicely, just not that big sounding. But if you don't have a lot to compare it to, you will love the sound. I don't know how limited they are as I bought mine back in early '08.
Cheers,
Skottoman

I have the tenor, the only tenor I own, and find the sound mellow and warm. When I first started playing it, it did seem muted, but putting Aquila's on it seemed to bring more life to it.
--G

yeah, it's a great uke

I play mostly tenor, a Kanilea k-1 which is wonderful, but when I was looking for a concert I played a Kala spalded maple with a spruce top and was very impressed. It sounded very close to my Kanilea. Good choice. I don't know how limited they are but they're beautiful. I believe spalded has something to do with the beginning of a disease in a wood.

No, I didn't get the Kala concert. someone came along witha Bushman Jenny and I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
I have the Kala Spalted Maple/ Sitka top long neck soprano. I have it strung up in low G. I love the look of it, and it sounds very plucky. It is nice to have a small low G instrument to carry around. The Spalted pattern on mine is especially nice (Spalted wood had a fungus which caused the black figuring).

–Lori

I love the sound and looks of my Kala spalted tenor! The front is kinda boring but the inlay around the sound hole gives it a bit of flair. But the back....a thing of beauty! I took two pictures for you all to check out. I bought this a few months ago at my local music store-I couldn't put it down!

That's beautiful, Tim. The first thing I saw was a thyroid gland...but then again, I'm use to looking at x-rays and CT scans. And I have to say, I love your sig line. I was just talking about the same thing at work the other day.

Last edited:
That's beautiful, Tim. The first thing I saw was a thyroid gland...but then again, I'm use to looking at x-rays and CT scans. And I have to say, I love your sig line. I was just talking about the same thing at work the other day.

haha...I saw a butterfly when I first saw the uke.

Top Bottom