Jupiter Creek versus Risa electric solid-body ukes

ichadwick

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between two solid-body electric uke manufacturers for my next instrument; Jupiter Creek and Risa. Any comments on either?

I am torn between the beautiful, but expensive Risa Les-Paul-style tenor and a Jupiter Creek Telecaster-style baritone (or perhaps even a tenor).

I'd appreciate comemnts from anyone who has owned either or both. Quality? Intonation? Pickups?

And yes, I'm open to purchasing used ukes...

I like my Jupiter Creek concert, but I've never played a Risa, so I'm afraid I can't compare. The JC's aren't pretty (very hand-made look) but they play well and sound as good as an average electric guitar. Every one is unique which is nice. Mine has a P-bass pickup which works well because it has four poles. Intonation is completely adjustable due to Rob's fantastic hand made bridge.

The Risas are just gorgeous, but again, never played one so can't comment. Either way I'm sure you'll have a fun instrument. If cost weren't an issue, I probably go with a Risa. Shipping from Australia is a bugger too.

Last edited:
i thought jupiter creek had stopped making instruments for a while?
Selling instruments on eBay only. I missed a chance at a tenor, then baritone uke, then was at a conference out of town when another baritone came and went. I'm beginning to believe it's fate - or something written in the Mayan calendar - that I find another. But I keep an eBay search going just in case.

I like my Risa

I recently bought a Risa "Les Paul" tenor, and it is currently my favourite instrument. I can't put it down.

Whilst unable to comment on the Jupiter Creek offerings, I can certainly recommend the Risa.

My only criticism is that there is no solid case option - only a gig bag is available. If you could buy a solid case for it, things would be perfect!

^ You've pretty much said what I wanna say.

-Risa Les Paul tenor
-Favourite, can't put down
-Haven't used Jupiter creek

And I strongly agree on RISA's lack of better cases.
Surely you'd think if they're selling you such an expensive instrument, people would want something more to protect it with than a flimsy polyester gig bag (with puny pocket!).
Eleukes's gig bags offer much better protection for their ukes, and they're a fraction of the Risa's price..

Top Bottom