How to restring tie bridge ukulele with Worth strings? Slipping

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Hi all,

I keep trying to restring my ukulele using Worth strings. However, the knot keeps on slipping it will not stay tied to the bridge once I begin winding. Is there a special way to tie them? Thanks.

EDIT:

I actually figured it out using this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJywsNAF1g&feature=player_embedded

The third loop did the trick.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for YouTube! I think the answers to most of life's questions can be found there! Back to re-stringing...I leave a bit of extra string on the bridge end. When you begin to tighten the strings (tuning), it can draw up a bit. After stings have settled down, clip the extra off. The 3rd loop makes all the difference too!

Try putting a glass bead on the end and knotting the string after the bead. Like this:
beads_01.jpg

I've done it on several ukes.

More comments on beads and tying options (for guitar, which work equally well on ukes):
emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/changing_strings.htm

Thats exactly what I do Ichadwick. I do some beading with my wife, and we have a lot of different types of beads. I use small turquoise beads to knot through and it works just fine. Not sure why some of the uke makers haven't gone to bead stringing. much easier and simpler to do. Maybe some do, but don't think I have seen any. Lozark

Are you sure that won't hurt the bridge at all? Or does it place exactly the same amount of pressure?
Additionally: is there a good seller or Amazon or whatnot that sells such beads?

Last edited:
I think same pressure is applied. I have seen no difference in tuning or changes in the uke. My wife happens to have zillions of beads in her inventory so it is easy for me. She gets most of her bead materials from fire mountain in Oregon. But in your area there should be some bead stores. Look in yellow pages and then go select what you want. Beads in small size aren't very expensive. I change around some. Whenever I changes strings ( not very often) I change beads just for a different look. Good luck. Lozark

I just put a knot in the string before tieing. When it draws up, it stops at the knot. Treble strings may require a double knot.

i had same problem, and i just used a pair of pliers to grip the excess string at the bridge as I tuned the string. made the knot real tight and hasn't come loose since...

Top Bottom