String opinion on KoAloha Super Concert

jordan bello

Reaction score
I went to the Hawaiin festival in Northridge today where Music Guy Mic has a stand. I pulled the trigger on the KoAloha Super Concert I've been drooling over. Now what strings to put on it?

Currently on it are worth clear (not sure of tension) low G.

Anyone with a KoAloha Super Concert have recommendations?

I personally like the Worth BT's on my PS....

If you want it to sound like it did when it left KoAloha, Worth clears are the way to go if you can't get a set of the original KoAloha strings.

Jude

I think you should try Worth Brown on it. From al the strings that I've tried on my Koaloha Concert and Sceptre, Worth Brown is what give the most balance tone to the Koaloha instruments.

The original Koaloha strings made by them are nice, but just not enough tension in it...

Aren't the original strings, Worth Clears, that come on it?

I still have the original strings on it and now am afraid to take them off!

I tried some Aquilas on mine, didn't like them. Hard on the fingers. Ordered some Worth clears from MGM and loved them !

iDavid wrote:
Aren't the original strings, Worth Clears, that come on it?

I still have the original strings on it and now am afraid to take them off!

I think it all depends on when the uke is bought and made. A few years ago, they we're coming standard with Worth Brown and now, they are coming with I think Koaloha own fluoro strings........which looks and feels almost the same thing as Worth Clear....to my ears and fingers!!!!

So it's very hard to know if it's Worth Clear or Koaloha's own fluoro strings.

iDavid wrote:

I think it all depends on when the uke is bought and made. A few years ago, they we're coming standard with Worth Brown and now, they are coming with I think Koaloha own fluoro strings........which looks and feels almost the same thing as Worth Clear....to my ears and fingers!!!!

So it's very hard to know if it's Worth Clear or Koaloha's own fluoro strings.

You might be right that they are KoAloha's, but if you buy Worth strings the following is written on the pack "endorsed by KoAloha" with the double k insignia. Is it possible the KoAloha strings and the Worth clears are one and the same? I admit that the strings on by Super Concert have a harder feel than my medium Worth clears on my concert, but that might be because they are tenor length.

I'm going to keep these on for a bit then put on Worth Browns.

How about low g or high on your Super Concerts?

Hey Jordan,

I picked up a koaloha tenor from MGM yesterday and he had it strung with Worth Clears. They seem to be a perfect match for it. I usually like the higher re-entrant tuning, but mine is currently strung with low g. I'll keep it that way for a while, it sounds beautiful. Since I like to finger pick, and clawhammer some, I might just use one of my other ukes for when I need the re-entrant. Some of the jazz I like to play sounds terrific with the low tuning on it.

I have had Aquillas on my Super C since I bought it. I like low g, I have high g on my DaSilva tenor.
I like my Super C's voice with Aquillas seems to have really opened up.

Hey Jordan,

I picked up a koaloha tenor from MGM yesterday and he had it strung with Worth Clears. They seem to be a perfect match for it. I usually like the higher re-entrant tuning, but mine is currently strung with low g. I'll keep it that way for a while, it sounds beautiful. Since I like to finger pick, and clawhammer some, I might just use one of my other ukes for when I need the re-entrant. Some of the jazz I like to play sounds terrific with the low tuning on it.

He also mentioned someone picked up a KoAloha Sceptre. I had my heart set on the Super Concert so I'm glad no one got to it before me, but it would have been nice to play the Sceptre.

Top Bottom