ebay question

Pilothawk

Reaction score
I purchased an inexpensive soprano uke from ebay. The listing stated the uke was "like new and had only been played a few times". When it arrived I changed out the strings to the Martin Fluros that I like and in doing so discovered that the nut had been filed down so much that the A string would barely vibrate as it was so close to the first fret. The grooves had been filed deep enough that I now have piece of hard plastic toothpicks in the grooves with the strings on top of the toothpick pieces.

I can understand wanting to lower the action, but this uke had been rendered in need of repair from my perspective. So, here is the question: Does one assume this kind of risk when buying a used uke or has the guy been deceptive enough that it warrants a bad ebay seller rating. If the guy had said it needed a new nut, I would not have purchased it. Your thoughts please.

This guy only has a small number of sales. I believe he was the original purchaser of the Kala soprano.

If you are not happy with the purchase and do not want to replace the nut, contact the seller. Let him know that you feel he/she did not represent the item fully and ask for a refund or compromise ($ back?) You have some protection if you used PayPal. If the seller does not respond or make things right, contact PayPal resolution center (links are provided on eBay site). It takes a bit of time to complete the process but the sooner you file a complaint, the better. Hopefully you will not have to go that route, contact the seller and see what they say...

How did it play with the original strings that were on it? Any apparent problems with them? It's very possible that the seller didn't know enough or play it enough to notice any problems. It's best to give a new to you, uke, a thorough checkup in it's original condition before any changes are made. Could you give us the URL or ebay Item # to the original ebay sale so we can see just what you bought? It would help us in advising you on how to handle it?

Jude

On the other hand, a nut can be put on by any competent guitar repair place for very little money. That's probably what I would do (assuming there is a guitar place anywhere near you), just to avoid the hassle and expense of sending it back to the seller. If the seller was just some person selling their own personal uke, and not an instrument dealer, they very likely were unaware of the problem (or at least that it WAS a problem).

I would send it back. You paid for an intact instrument and you should go for nothing less than that.

If it was a cheap uke, sending it back is probably not worth the time and money it costs for the delivery.

I'd go with replacing the nut for a cheap price. But do let the seller know of your dissatisfaction and see what he'll do about it.
Afterall, you have yet to leave feedback on him right?

yep good call on finding out how it played with the original strings.

Also agreed contact the ebayer letting them know of the issue...
I sold a Ukulele and missed something once, the buyer let me know. I refunded him some of the money and he was chuffed to bits as he had we came to a price he thought it was worth. I was happy as at the end of the day, I still believe in selling things for what there worth not making uber money and want to see people happy with what they bought.

I'm guessing you may or may not know how to replace a nut but its the easiest thing in the world to do a really neat job. Let me know if your unsure.

Communicate first in a friendly manner!!! Most people are not out there to con you and want to see you happy with your purchase. Ebay/paypal resolution centres are only there if you have problems or dissagreements with the seller.

I agree with Casarole45. So maybe find out how much to replace the nut, & ask the seller to cover the cost.

OR I understand a little superglue mixed with baking soda and dabbed with a toothpick into the slots will build a white plastic nut right back up. So you can probably get a few $ as a partial refund and fix it easily yourself.

Please don't leave a negative feedback until this is resolved. I was a seller for 12 years and always made things right if I missed something. I quit because after the feedback change a couple years back sellers could only leave positive or nothing, which let many of the buyers become very punitive as a form of extortion, and one negative feedback could get a seller suspended, and neutrals counted as a negative. I had nothing but positive, over 8,000, but I finally couldn't take the oppressive atmosphere and I quit. eBay had become a venue intent on driving out small sellers in favor of virtual strip mall dealers, and the restrictions were very hard. Sellers pay all of eBay's expenses, buyers pay nothing, but they gave the buyers all the power.

If it really seems like the seller intentionally misrepresented the uke then that's what you need to ascertain. Email him with the problem and save the response, eBay / PayPal will want it if it comes to that. Most people DO want to make it right.

Yes, I was only trying to be fair.

For those who asked it played, but not well with the original strings. They were black, and had the tonal characteristics of linoleum. The C string was all but mute. I have a Makala Dophin which is functionally the same soprano, but the nut on it is cut much less deeply, and much more narrowly.

I have a co-worker who is an amateur luthier. I will ask him to give me a hand, and I am sure he will be happy to help out. He builds his own guitars from scratch so I know he has the right equipment. Thanks for your input all.

Was it playing ok with the fatter strings on it?

Before you get all mad at the guy, realize that Martin Flourocarbons are very thin and will sit lower in a slot than nylon strings. If he set it up for nylon, and it works for nylon, I don't think you should get mad at him when you change to a different type of string. If it was playable when you got it, and you change the type of string like that, you ought to expect to put a new nut on there.

A nut is something you can easily replace or customize, it doesn't make it a shoddy or defective instrument. Stop by the guitar store an get a nut blank, and sit down with the sandpaper and a file and set it up the way YOU like it.

Top Bottom