Does anyone tune their baritone re-entrant?

ukulelearp

Reaction score
I've got a baritone coming in next week. Nothing fancy, Kala. I've played them before, but I was thinking it would be cool to tune it to dGBE with a high-D. I searched but couldn't find anyone mentioning much about it. Has anyone done it? How do you like it? I've found a few youtube videos, but they weren't terribly helpful.

I have one with gCEA, but not dGBE. Good idea though!

I have one with an Aquila high d set that I got from MGM, and it sounds REALLY nice!

I personally would not do such a thing, since when I am playing a baritone (don't own one yet), I am looking for bass to accompany something like a Johnny Cash song. On the other hand, this guy's sounds great with a high G. Of course it doesn't hurt that he has a terrific voice.

Re-entrant dGBE on a Baritone works well. My sister's baritone is tuned like that.
It makes the chords sound a bit less muddy, and a bit less guitary lol.

I prefer having the low-D though for the added bassness. But that's personal preference.

Re-entrant dGBE on a Baritone works well. My sister's baritone is tuned like that.
It makes the chords sound a bit less muddy, and a bit less guitary lol.

I prefer having the low-D though for the added bassness. But that's personal preference.

As I said earlier, my Islander bari is tuned with a reentrant dGBE, and you're exactly right. It brightens up the chords, and definitely makes it sound more like a ukulele and less like a guitar.

I can't decide quite what to do. I already have three guitars, so maybe re-entrant would be a nice change. I'll play around with both. I do like the way it sounds in that video though.

I can't decide quite what to do. I already have three guitars, so maybe re-entrant would be a nice change. I'll play around with both. I do like the way it sounds in that video though.

I just started a Youtube account today, and posted a video of myself messing with my old Martin. I was already thinking of having my next one be of my plastic baritone, just because it's so cool (and quite rare, I think). So maybe in the next day or two I can knock one out so you can hear a little bit of it.

I just started a Youtube account today, and posted a video of myself messing with my old Martin. I was already thinking of having my next one be of my plastic baritone, just because it's so cool (and quite rare, I think). So maybe in the next day or two I can knock one out so you can hear a little bit of it.

Please do. At the very least, it sounds like a cool ukulele.

I've got a baritone coming in next week. Nothing fancy, Kala. I've played them before, but I was thinking it would be cool to tune it to dGBE with a high-D. I searched but couldn't find anyone mentioning much about it. Has anyone done it? How do you like it? I've found a few youtube videos, but they weren't terribly helpful.
I bought a secondhand Pono baritone and it came re-entrant (high-D). It's okay, but I plan to restring it low-D. I play along with a lot of loops and jamming tracks, so think lower D works better for a baritone.

I recently purchased a plastic T.V. Pal baritone and strung it re-entrant because its plastic frets don't like metal-wound strings. I used a nylon B string for the d string and it sounds great. Will post a video soon since I can't find any videos of plastic baritones on-line.

4682042125_f8a5cb8e84_b.jpg

Last edited:
Opted for reentrant high D bari tuning on my cheapo Makala and I love it. Just used a nylon E from the other D'Addario bari set I had...

Last edited:
I recently purchased a plastic T.V. Pal baritone and strung it re-entrant because its plastic frets don't like metal-wound strings. I used a nylon B string for the d string and it sounds great. Will post a video soon since I can't find any videos of plastic baritones on-line.

4682042125_f8a5cb8e84_b.jpg

I saw that (or another just like it) TV Pal baritone on eBay. My Maccaferri is pretty much the same thing, but a little fancier (dark fretboard and fancier headstock details, and a "rosette". Video to come today, with any luck.
I strung it with an actual Aquila High D (unwound) baritone set, so I didn't have to mess with finding an appropriate substitute string.

High D

So one of you posted using an e string (tuned down) and another a b string (tuned up). Does it matter tone wise or just use what you have available? Also is there a reentrant baritone dGBE set sold by anyone?
thanks
cb

Aloha Alec 534,
I have several baritones ukes, and tune them different. As you know each instument is made as close as possible, however they are as individual
in sound because it would be hard to copy each one exactly. I tune by ear, looking for the perfect pitch in each string. What works for me may
not work for you, but try this out, there's nothing to lose. I just aquired an chinese made silver creek baritone uke with D'addirio low tension
strings and tuned it to....B-10, E-30, G#-20, C#-10 and my baritone sings...of course this slacked key or dropped tuning(no sure) I hope this
helps you out, check it out and let me know....cool!!!Have fun with you new Baritone when it comes and wait till the strings break in until you try this. "Keep um vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan...PS, you might need some fine tuning to the above tunings as every instrument and
strings are different.
out.

Last edited:
So one of you posted using an e string (tuned down) and another a b string (tuned up). Does it matter tone wise or just use what you have available? Also is there a reentrant baritone dGBE set sold by anyone?
thanks
cb

Mine is strung with a reentrant baritone dGBE set by Aquila. I bought them from MGM on eBay.

Top Bottom