Any feedback on Collings tenors?

banjoker

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm ready for a purchase, and I'm considering a Collings tenor (or Mya-Moe, or GString). Any preferences? Caveats?

collings looks like some of the highest quality ukes on the market. Mya-Moes are awesome aswell and i think gstring went out of business or is downsizing right now. sorry i cant be of more help

I too have been eyeing up Collings tenors. I just bought a Collings guitar and WOW! So I've been anxious to at least get my hands on any Collings ukulele.

I had the chance today and it was wonderful. We were at a friends' house and they had a Collings UC-1, the concert size and I loved it! I'm still pretty new to the ukulele. I've only been playing about 6 months and I've only played a couple of ukuleles but this was really, really nice. I'm a pretty big guy and given my guitar background I figured I would always be a tenor ukulele guy but this concert Collings was really sweet! I can imagine the tenor would be too!

Depending on your budget, you could consider this one:

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/UT3M275.html

If I could, I'd be in the car tomorrow to pick that up! :D

Matt

Acoustic Music...

Hey Matt, in fact it was that very blue uke that caught my eye in Pittsburgh the other day. Didn't have time to play it, but I plan to go back.

Hey Matt, in fact it was that very blue uke that caught my eye in Pittsburgh the other day. Didn't have time to play it, but I plan to go back.

It sure is beautiful. If you get a chance to play it or buy it, I'd love to hear about it!

Matt

I have a Collings Tenor and love the sound and sustain. Workmanship is flawless. Have had it for a few months now, with no complaints or problems. I also tried the UC-1 concert but returned the uke after a couple of days. Just sounded a bit dead compared to my other mahogany ukes.

I have played just about everything. Collins is great. Great volume and the sound is very good. You won't be disappointed.

Hi Banjoker,
Mya-Moe ukuleles seem to continue to improve each year. I'd say that they are now worth the asking price. I have a Collings UC1 and a UT2. I ordered the UC1 as soon as I learned that Collings was building ukes. For the last year, I have played it more than any others. At less than $1000 the UC1 is a great value. There are lots of prettier ukes for that price, but pretty is as pretty does. The UT2 is several steps up and I waited over six months for a beautiful flamed Mahogany special order. It was worth the wait. I have played a G String tenor that was a nice uke, and James Hill plays G String ukes, but they want a lot of money for the custom series. Others to check out are LoPrinzi, and if you can afford them Kerry Char or William King. (All three wonderful to work with, and all craft beautiful ukuleles.) Happy hunting.

I've had a UT3 for a couple of months now and it's ridiculously good. Perfect tone, incredible sustain, amazing build. I have a 1930 Martin Tenor and a 1940ish Martin Concert, and I never play them anymore because the Collings is so exquisite.

I have a Collings UT-1 koa and I think it was one of the better values in all of the uke market. Such a wonderful tone, very loud since the soundboard is so thin and perfectly braced, and beautiful as well. I highly recommend their ukes.

Top Bottom