High G/Low G For Tenors

Which do you prefer for tenors? High G? Low G?

• Total voters

luvdat

Reaction score
Between 2 tunings for tenors, which do you you prefer: High G or Low G?

I did not put an "Other" category. Simply asking which you prefer between the 2. The "No Preference" notion between these 2 tunings ...I also did not include. Simply limiting the question of preference between these 2 tunings.

Last edited:
One instrument in my arsenal and it's tuned low G. Nuff said.

One instrument in my arsenal and it's tuned low G. Nuff said.

Same here. Just one, and I hardly ever play that. All the others are tuned high G.

Last edited:
Do you have one tenor?

No, just one tuned to low G. All my others are tuned to high G.

The results so far in this poll surprise me. Maybe it is because many of the people on UU feel that low G gives them a fuller, more guitar-like sound when they are singing a song.

From my experience, the vast majority of tenor players us the traditional high G tuning. I feel this figure may be as high as 90%. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get at a preference between the 2 in this poll. A preference of course does not necessarily mean strongly disliking the other...(though that's also possible, LOL).

Last edited:
I recall that it was the Kala archtop you had strung low-G?
Not sure where I remember that from; a video perhaps :)

one high one low. but i do have both of my tenors tuned high g at the moment. i need to order strings. :D

I wonder how skewed the results are to those who play guitars and those who only play ukes? If I played the guitar (rather than just banging on it occasionally), I would probably have little need for a low G, since the guitar would furnish me more than enough bass for ballads, folk and country songs. As it stands the baritone and tenor have sort of become my guitars, while the soprano and concert are my ukuleles. I have an old classical guitar (build label says 1967) that has been missing the two lower strings for many years. Since I didn't play it, I saw no need to put more strings on it. Now that I am into ukuleles, I found that it makes a very fine baritone with deep tone, except the neck is a bit too wide.

It doesn't bother me at all that a low-G sounds like a 4 string guitar. 4 string guitars are easier to play (for me) and they sound good. It also doesn't bother me that there is no ukulele in my drum kit, or that my trumpet doesn't sound like a ukulele. Whatever instrument fits the music is OK by me.

Last edited:
I wonder how skewed the results are to those who play guitars and those who only play ukes? If I played the guitar, I would probably have little need for a low G, since the guitar would furnish me more than enough bass.

Do you prefer...? Should I infer...?

I don't have any tenors but I voted low G. I have two concerts, one acoustic and one electric. The acoustic is strung high G while the electric is low G and I play the low G uke way more these days. High G is cool and all, but I've been transcribing a lot of metal songs to uke and having that extra bass note makes it so much easier. A lot of metal songs ride the open E string on guitar, and with a low G string I can just move everything up 1 1/2 steps (3 frets) and ride the G string on uke. I have an acoustic baritone that would be even easier to do this with, but that's not nearly as cool and can't handle as much distortion as my electric uke can.

But yeah, if I could only have one uke and it had to be a tenor I'd string it low G. They both have their place, low G just suits what I want to do with the uke more.

Top Bottom