PDA

View Full Version : Southcoast ukes

Pukulele Pete
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I just put a new set of strings on my Kiwaya KTS-4 .They came from a company called Southcoast Ukes.
I wasn't happy with the original strings and put on a set of Worth clears and they didnt do it for me.
I had heard of this company and checked it out and they sell their own strings. I ordered a set and boy am I happy. My Kiwaya now sounds the way I expected it to sound. Sounds great. Big difference.
Thanks.

LoMa
06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Which of theri string sets did you get, and what kind of strings are they - nylon, flourocarbon, or ???

Are they bright in tone, loud, mellow?

Always interested in new strings!

Pukulele Pete
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I dont know if I can explain it but there wasn't alot of sound coming out with the Worths. The new strings from Seacoast give it a full, more low end, more sustain. For me it makes it sound the way I thought a Kiwaya would sound . The first two sets of strings on the Kiwaya didnt project or have the sound I expected. The new strings are great. Check their website. I got their medium gauge strings.

mailman
06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
So is the company Southcoast, as in your original post, or Seacoast, as in your last reply? I'd like to check them out....

mds725
06-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I found this website (http://www.southcoastukes.com/index.htm) for a Southcoast Ukes in Louisiana, but I couldn't find anything about strings.

Pukulele Pete
06-08-2010, 12:12 AM
Sorry about that. Chaulk that up to old age? Any way the company name is Southcoast Ukes in Louisiana. If you go to their website there is a box in the lower right hand side which will lead you to the section on strings.

Pukulele Pete
06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
check them out. Southcoastukes.com I got the medium gauge for my Kiwaya KTS-4 and it has never sounded better. Look for the box in the lower right hand corner of their webpage.

uke552
06-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the link and information. There is some interesting reading on tuning the ukulele too.

Pukulele Pete
06-08-2010, 04:35 AM
I am really impressed with their strings. I just ordered two more sets. I was a little disapointed with my Kiwaya's sound with the original strings. I tried Worth clears and they were not what I was looking for. Southcoast's strings did the trick ,It now sounds the way I expected it to. I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisement but I love the way my Kiwaya sounds now.

Kanaka916
06-08-2010, 05:02 AM
I think you should really do a review of the strings. BTW, I merged your two threads because of the subject matter.

CTurner
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
I just tried a set of Southcoast strings medium on my Kanile'a concert and am <very> impressed. Clear separation between strings, lovely balance, really makes the Kanile'as natural rich sound into a balanced sound. So far, I like these better than the Worth Clears I was using, though those are not bad at all. The Southcoast strings feel very nice as well. My $.02.

Ahnko Honu
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
You convinced me. I ordered a combination set which has both light, and medium sets for $12.00 including shipping. These strings are 30" so can do 2 sopranos each set. Sounds like a deal. ;)