PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments at UWC 2010

kilaana
06-07-2010, 01:14 PM
At Beeeeeeeejums suggestion, I'm starting a thread of favorite moments from UWC 2010. Here are mine! What are yours??

- Finding out out that Ukeyermind and Lonnab live just a few blocks away from me!
- Watching Beeejums play the "12th Street Rag". (I want to play like that someday!)
- Watching Dominator and DeG playing up close and in person. (I want to play like those guys, too!)
- Waking up at 8 a.m. to the smooth stylings of Batman loudly singing "Octopus's Garden" from the tent next door
- Hearing Dirk announce to the world that he had just eaten his first Twinkie
- Talking in French and learning some blues licks from Little6ster
... and the list goes on and on

CoLmes
06-07-2010, 01:24 PM
To name a few

-Bald Peanuts, I may have been super drunk but it seemed like that was the song of the event.
-Watching Dirk eat his first twinkie
-Having my first white castle
-Watching Andy Solve a rubics cube
-Singing Thank You For Leaving me with Seeso, very drunkenly.
-Hank's performance
-Zoe and Seeso "Belong to me"
-Dancing with Sally
-Group Picture
-Getting yelled at to stand still during the group picture
-Stealing beers from peoples coolers with Rob because we ran out
-Not remembering the 2nd song I did at the open mic on saturday.. I'm sure it was great
-Almost crying when everyone from the minijams all met for the first time
-Talking to RussBuss for an hour about lots of crap

more to come

Faricelli
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
-Stealing beers from peoples coolers with Rob because we ran out.

Thanks for not using any last names. Oh, and I guess meeting me and hanging out was not a highlight. I feel used.

CoLmes
06-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Awww so sensitive! Of course you were a highlight, so was night time with you. shhhhhh :D

Faricelli
06-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Awww so sensitive! Of course you were a highlight, so was night time with you. shhhhhh :D

I feel better now.

MissJonib
06-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Jamming with Bhatman at our campsite
Meeting people I'd only known on Facebook till then
Falling asleep to the sound of so many happy ukes (and wishing I could go back and join the fun; maybe next year!)
Making new friends and fresh ukulele connections
... I only wish we could have stayed through Saturday night and been able to jam with more people!

Melissa82
06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I can't pin-point one thing. Well, I can but I'd get in trouble hahaha! Just an overall amazing weekend!

- Meeting my big brother seeso for the first time
- Hanging out with the mother Gigapus herself, Zoe
- Ramon's dance
- Watching Lisa and Alex do the tiny uke jig
- Getting lost with Lisa and the two German's
- Smacking seeso real hard for making a perverted joke about me (if it wasn't that, I'm sure I would have just done it for past things he's said, lol)
- Giving Deach a big, well deserved hug
- Baron almost sticking his tongue in my ear
- Seeing Rob perform Bible Girl in person
- Jumping on Alex when I first saw him
- Witnessing the homoerotic antics between Baron and Russ (i swear they are long lost lovers)
- Meeting the awesomest ukers ever!

LOL, I keep coming back and adding to this...

markfromindiana
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Ahh...so, so many great memories and moments.....

-meeting everyone...(Hi to Gretchen and Mark, Jill (I think?) and Doug, sorikku, adeline and ostripovich, beejums, the list is toooo long!
-jamming with the Dominator! And enjoying great conversation with both him and his wife! You are both wonderful
-falling asleep and waking up to ukuleles, laughter, and singing. A picture of paradise, really.
-Jamming till 4:30 a.m in the morning....yeeeesssssss!!!!
-camping and eating breakfast with Mike and Rudy!
-jamming in nashville

ahhh, only 364 days until next year!

mailman
06-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Hearing the lyrics of The Who's "Pinball Wizard" sung to the tune of Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" during a round of "Uke or Dare". Damned if it doesn't work!

Monkeyswithladders
06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
The love. Best time ever.

Ugh, I am in desperate need of sleep right now; I'm so excited to look at all the pictures tomorrow.

I love all you guys and can't wait until we meet again :D

ukeeku
06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
ummmm
- meeting Dominator
- hearing Shani in person
- Seeing that there are other cigar box ukers out there that love them like me
- Going to David Gills house to see his workshop (man I should have bought that concert spruce top pineapple)
- Sharing in the great spirit, I ran out of beer and people just gave me theirs
- Being too drunk to do my second song (I will redeem myself next year)

DeG
06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
ummmm
-- Going to David Gills house to see his workshop (man I should have bought that concert spruce top pineapple)

I saw one of those at Weed Patch, I'm having the same regret... What a sweet sounding uke! Was David Gill at UWC? I wish I had known... (next year!)

jkevinwolfe
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Jodi introducing Germans to pop tarts.

Bhatman doing anything at all. (Glad nobody started a drunken Thai kickboxing invitational.)

Derik giving me a polished geode.

Talking Amish to Melissa.

Deech in overalls.

Duetting with Zoe.

Hangin with my cuz Seeso.

Finding out Danielle is not just virtual but a real live joy oozin' woman.

Picking up Sukie.

Aly ukin, hoopin and singin at the same time. (She may have been chewin gum too.)

jasnrocks
06-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I had a great time all around. Thanks to all the people who came, as well as all the people who preformed. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

bornagainjeeper
06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
wait y'all remember things...? whew...

but...judging by the pictures
I loved meeting everyone so very much
feeling the love when i was on stage!
big snuggle piles with some of my favorite UUers
seeing soooo many new faces!
i loved leaving and realizing i'll see ya'll next year

ukeeku
06-08-2010, 06:31 AM
No, David was not there. I called him and asked if I could go to his house to check-out one of the ukes he had there.

UKISOCIETY
06-08-2010, 06:54 AM
- Hearing "Balloon Boy" sung by mctrmt during Uke or Dare
- Kissing Seeso (again)
- Playing open mic and not forgetting the songs
- Seeing Aly so happy with her new uke
- Seeing people from last year and meeting everybody else for the first time

russ_buss
06-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Lonna and Shawn hooking us up with delicious grilled cheese sandwiches.
Meeting all the international folk.
Meeting all the national folk.
Jamming on a song with my uke heroes that surpasses Youtube's 10 minute limit.

PoisonDart
06-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Listening to Uncle Jeff playing Freebird ala Hank Williams.
Natalie blowing me away with Build me up buttercup.
Will the circle be unbroken harmonies with all my Appalachian Brothas.
Anarchist philosophy discussion with Jonny...

Everything. Everything was amazing.

iamdanielle
06-08-2010, 08:49 AM
oh man.. so many incredible moments.

-first and foremost, "the kiss" between two of my favorite men ever.
-finally being able to hug my lady soul mate, aly peeler.
-seeing EVERYONE perform live!
-checking out mike's shop and accidentally purchasing a gorgeous mango gloss finished concert from him.
-jamming with the beautiful and incredibly talented lisaxy.
-long talks with hank.
-carpooling with shani and my amazing best friend/sister julia.
-being able to introduce julia to the love that is the ukulele community.
-being so in awe of the folks who came from half way around the world to be there.
-getting to know nat and tom.
-watching colin fall asleep while sitting up at strawberry fields.
-realizing that seeso literally makes panties drop.
-chatting with grumpy coyote. i have always loved his music so much.
-THE BARON.
-getting to spend a lot of time with the man himself, deach.
-snuggling with aly, alex, julia and hanky during the last precious minutes of us all being together.
-having a kick-ass grilled cheese sandwich made by lonna and shawn when i had a little too much to drink and needed it most. thanks guys.
-meeting UCB. i love all of you.

i love you guys. i have so many more favorites.

hoosierhiver
06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
As I was breaking things down Sunday, my neighbor Don walked up to me with a serious face and said,
"I've only got one question for you", "Why do you build me up Buttercup?"

phanzo
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Oh man, where to start:

-Meeting Deach, while playing the Mook. That's pretty much the bees knees.
-Shooting the sh*t with Seeso and Russ
-Hank and Alex hitting on my girlfriend, Kenda, while I stood 2 ft away, smiling :D
-Dom and DeG on stage together. Yea, that really happened.
-All of Ramon's dances. Pretty much every moment with Ramon was a blast...
-The UCB "dead-like" jam
-Seeing Dirk's twinkie
-Meeting Jen Lowe. She was incredible!
-Watching Jen teach Kenda to play the uke, within 5 minutes of meeting. Priceless. Maybe I need to move that one towards the top bc that moment I will cherish forever.
-Going to the Mainland shop (although I REALLY wanted to buy one of those Red Cedar Pineapple Gloss buggers)
-Meeting ALL of the people that I have been "digital friends" with for so long
-Being the last one standing with Derik on Friday night, long after everyone had turned in

Yea, there's definitely more to come...

Rzr
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I really don't know what to say about the weekend. Everything was incredible! So many talented, kind, amazing people. Thanks again to our awesome hosts.

phanzo
06-08-2010, 09:22 AM
As I was breaking things down Sunday, my neighbor Don walked up to me with a serious face and said,
"I've only got one question for you", "Why do you build me up Buttercup?"
That is FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks again for everything Mike, you and Tootka are the absolute bee's knees (no hive pun intended :D.....well maybe a little bit)

markfromindiana
06-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey Jill!

Good to hear from ya! Yes, we should get together soon....that would be totally awesome! I would love to get together and jam! Woooohoooo. Although, maybe not until 4:30 a.m.....I think I am still recovering.

Friends,

Mark

dktoller
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
An incredible weekend.

-Jamming along with The Baron in a small group late Thursday night
-Bhatman cranking out song after song after song
-Grilled cheese, campfire style
-Driving that narrow road they built into Lemon Lake
-Banana wine tasting with Jonny
-Watching Yoppy improvise a washtub bass.

ukeeku
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Just posted more about the UWC on my site.
http://ukeeku.com/2010/06/09/ukulele-world-congress-2010/
check it out

Boozelele
06-08-2010, 09:59 PM
1. Eating kick-ass grilled cheese sandwiches with LonnaB and Ukeyermind....(two of the coolest people ever)

2. Laughing with the Baron

3. Taking straight shots with Adelle

4. Meeting 6ster, 14twelve, Baron, Yoppy, Danielle, Zoe, Mctrmt, Ben, etc....(now Ive started a list I cant possibly finish) everyone was great, and too many to list.

5. Seeing old friends again.

....This event will need to expand to a "three-full-day" affair..so I can meet and get to know more people. Either that, or I will need to drink less so that I remember all the great people I meet. Naw, three or four days would be better. :)

Abundamedia
06-09-2010, 05:59 AM
I ain't no Uke player but I did some drummin at the UWC10. It was THE MOST AMAZING weekend of my life (so far)! The open, non-judgmental and loving atmosphere was incredible. I feel like we are all in a new family together. Love, hugs, kisses to all!
Abundamedia = Gretchen

waterdog226
06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
It was great to meet you!

ukeyermind
06-10-2010, 04:30 AM
Has no one mentioned the 2 kegs of free beer that Mike scored for us? That was some excellent beer. Definitely a favorite moment.

hoosierhiver
06-10-2010, 04:34 AM
Has no one mentioned the 2 kegs of free beer that Mike scored for us? That was some excellent beer. Definitely a favorite moment.

My buddy Jeff Mease from The Bloomington Brewing Company deserves the credit. Great guy, great beer!

Rzr
06-10-2010, 04:39 AM

My buddy Jeff Mease from The Bloomington Brewing Company deserves the credit. Great guy, great beer!

Friday was so foggy for me I don't remember if I tried some. Another good reson to make sure I get back next year.

sukie
06-10-2010, 06:24 AM
There are way too many memories to list. But I think the favorite was getting a lesson from DeG on his song Summer Camp. To top it off, later in the evening he gave me the tabs to the song. Guess what I'll be playing on open-mic night next year? Oh! I guess I've made up my mind to attend next year too. Does that mean I've finally recovered from the weekend?

The Hoosierhivers are the best hosts around. Thanks for a wonderful weekend.

beeejums
06-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Finally gonna get around to this... My favorite moments:

-That first surreal moment when I got out of the car and saw people I found on YouTube shortly after deciding my music orientation was "uke-curious" and have been watching on the internet ever since. I was like, "Man, they *do* exist." It was like seeing Santa Claus. Or maybe I was just cross eyed from the 7.5 hour drive while looking at Deach and that dude from the Flea Bitten Dawgs standing next to each other...

-Meeting everyone. EVERYONE (yes, even YOU). Especially the people I remember meeting. I tend to be a little awkward at parties / big social gatherings, but you all made me feel very welcome and definitely like "part of the group." I was happy. I hope I didn't come off as rude or standoffish, because apparently I do sometimes. I liked absolutely everyone I met. Except those kids that crashed the party. They were kind of annoying.

-Being pretty inebriated from beer and banana wine, I thought it'd be cute to ask deach what his real name was (his answer: "deach"). In retrospect, maybe it was kinda rude... But I tried really hard to keep my drunken self composed during the rest of our conversation. Which was probably good. I admire deach, and would care about his impression of me, so it's a good thing I was too sloppy drunk to remember the sexual advances I probably made.

-Losing my T.V. Pal virginity. It was everything I hoped it would be (and more). :iwant: :iwant: :iwant: He even offered to sell it to me, but since we're in the middle of a move I could barely afford to be at UWC at all... It'll have to wait until I have a few more dollars to spare.

-Playing with DeG on Sunday after we'd only been through the song once. I thought it went really well for one half-assed rehearsal.

-Uke or dare, uke or dare. I hope you've got clean underwear.

-Jamming with so many of you... especially 6ster, Phanzo, Lisa, Russ... I don't even remember everyone I got to play with... but I saw so many things I didn't already know, and got to hear so many amazing voices... I'm inspired to play 2nd and 3rd position chords now, and to learn how to sing harmony... Maybe even one day give a baritone a try. They're great for playing in a group.

-The epic I'm Yours / Boiled Peanuts fakeout. Best song of the night. It's too bad Jeeper doesn't remember playing it (or does he? I'd be surprised. At least there's a good video of it).

-Getting cussed out by Sally because I'm responsible for the Bun Ban. We were both smashed, and it was hilarious. Then she gave me some rum. It was good rum, and I think I asked her eight or nine times what the brand name was. I still forgot, but I didn't want to be obnoxious.

But my fondest memory of all...

-The part before my set when deach zoomed around like a ninja (which he very well may be) and paid everyone off to pretend like they thought I was good at ukulele. UWC made me feel good about myself, which I really needed (hopefully I don't sound too much like a crybaby... it's just been a tough couple of months, and I couldn't have asked for a better vacation).

My only regret from the whole thing is that I didn't get to spend more time talking with people, getting to know people, playing music with people...

And I hope next year I can at least visit one of these cabins... It sounds like a crazy Japanese Party Boat from Dimension Z... I'll openly admit my curiosity... Besides, I love being naked (Not that I plan on getting naked in front of you all, of course... it was just a totally unrelated side note). ;)

Rzr
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Sally drinks Sailor Jerry's rum!

salukulady
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Sally drinks Sailor Jerry's rum!So did a few others there......I'm bringing a case next year. (And we must thank Sukie for the bottle, she had it waiting at her home when I arrived.)

CoLmes
06-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Some more

- being so happy to see everyone for the first time that I was downing beers and shots like it was my job.. I was drunk before we got to the field the first day annnnnnd Sally gave me a shot and I went around to a car and "accidently" dropped it. I told Sally this later and she said she was going to kill me.. i understand.
- dancing/grinding/middle school slow dancing with sally
- not remembering my 2nd song on saturday night
-not remembering dancing on stage during henry's thong song
- buying a camera so i can see all these things that i forgot i did
- getting stuck with the smallest couch in the room and having to use a chair and my bag to accompany my legs
- danielle laying down on my pillow and jumping up because she said the pillow smelled "like ass" it was actually my socks that were about 5 feet behind her head. i'm so proud.
- every group picture
- passing out with uke in hand in a perfect upright position at the cabins.....................................

more to come

Bassukuguy
06-11-2010, 07:16 PM
now that i have had a week to digest the weekend,

-Random Jams. seriously just a few people sitting around and boom a song pops out (and then fades out)
-Meeting everyone from last year
-meeting everyone who wasnt there last year
-Two kegs of beer that i barely remember because of the two kegs of beer *so good, these need to return for UWC III*
-meeting Beeejums and telling him i hate him off hand because he sniped me doing a cover of 99 red balloons.
-Jamming with Rel Bar and his girlfriend *name excapes me* way into the night on saturday/sunday morning and being the last men and woman standing.
-pondering as a group what would hap-pen in Uke or Dare if someone chooses Dare.
-meeting Yopp and him doing the "Snap Strum" and me watching in awe.
-Jonny's Banana wine
-Sally's Sailor Jerry's
-finally getting to have my "kid in a candyshop" time at mainland.
-one last one, meeting Melissa and her denying that i was me.

such a great weekend, and only 51 more weeks.

Melissa82
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
-one last one, meeting Melissa and her denying that i was me.

such a great weekend, and only 51 more weeks.What? You were never there...

;)

salukulady
06-11-2010, 08:07 PM
What? You were never there...

;)Then where did all my rum go?

Melissa82
06-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Then where did all my rum go?Ask the ground. Isn't that where Colin poured it? Haha.

sukie
06-12-2010, 05:32 AM
Something strange happened to me: I got home with more vodka than I left with!!??!! (Tis true)

salukulady
06-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Something strange happened to me: I got home with more vodka than I left with!!??!! (Tis true)That was a Canadian's bottle you took. (Yummy, Clamato Juice and Vodka.) But all the rum was gone. (And I never thanked you properly for that rum, THANK YOU, Sukie!)

sukie
06-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Then where did all my rum go?

Baby Carrots went wild with the rum. Oh! And you had a little bit yourself.