D Tuning - why did it fall out of favor?

janeray1940

Reaction score
While looking through my collection of 1940s and earlier sheet music, I got to wondering about D tuning and what caused the shift to C tuning becoming more common. Any ideas? I've found lots of references that indicate that it was the preferred tuning in the early part of the 20th century, but none that elaborate on the topic.

Seems to me that a lot of the Vaudeville ukulele performers were either instrumentalists
(and D tuning, being higher in pitch seem to be louder or able to carry/project farther into the audience) OR
were Tenors so the higher notes of the songs were singable by them.

It could also be that song writers wrote in keys that lend themselves to easier fingering in D tuning.

Just a thought.

Keep uke'in',

Last edited:
I heard Joel Eckhaus say at a workshop that it was becasue in the Vaudeville days it made the ukes project better (louder) into the crowds. That was pre electric amp days. I play in D and like the volume when I play on the beach (the beach is loud when you are by the surf) and when using a mic. C definately seems mellower.

Interesting ideas so far, thanks!

Keep them coming...

It didn't fall out of favour. It's the favoured tuning in most of Eastern Canada, British Columbia and a lot of Europe. But it's the victim of Internet-alization. Just like British English is under siege from American English because of the Net. It has a tendency to homogenize things.

Ian, excellent point - as my ukulele circle of friends is strictly Californian, it never occurred to me that things might be different abroad. As is usually the case!

In fact - it was in part your sheet music DVD that got me to thinking about this! Guess it's probably time for me to try different tuning on the spare uke.

While looking through my collection of 1940s and earlier sheet music, I got to wondering about D tuning and what caused the shift to C tuning becoming more common. Any ideas? I've found lots of references that indicate that it was the preferred tuning in the early part of the 20th century, but none that elaborate on the topic.
AlohaJaneray1940
check out southcoast ukes. com they have section on those type of tunings..just click on the bottom right
"Keep them strings vibrating" Uke On!!!!!

It didn't fall out of favour. It's the favoured tuning in most of Eastern Canada, British Columbia and a lot of Europe. But it's the victim of Internet-alization. Just like British English is under siege from American English because of the Net. It has a tendency to homogenize things.

I play D on all of the songs we perform when I play a concert uke. There are a lot of D tuners in the SE.

i do find the D tuning pleasantly brighter, and louder due to the tension.

I also find that it improves intonation and tone on cheapo ukes that sound bad with GCEA tuning.

I've been occasionally frustrated by the rich tone of my soprano. Sometimes I'm looking for the brighter, more classic ukulele high sound and just can't seem to get it through string changing, etc. Maybe switching up to D tuning will bring the sound of old.

Now, which uke should I experiment with...

Top Bottom