Kala's new Solidbody electric U-Bass!

happyslappysoong

Reaction score

Just saw this now...is this old news?

Looks cool! He mentioned a 6-string bass model too....WOW

Outside of looks and the brand of strings utilized, don't know that there's much difference between this and the Ashbory bass. The acoustic electric looking build at least had the visual sensibility that says ukulele.
Wonder what the price point will be.

Outside of looks and the brand of strings utilized, don't know that there's much difference between this and the Ashbory bass. The acoustic electric looking build at least had the visual sensibility that says ukulele.

I have to agree although I would not throw it out if someone gave me one. It's the same with the solid body ukes. I like the acoustic "look" better and I am planning on buying a UBass.

Well, the Ashbory is an 18" scale, the U-bass is 21" and that makes a world of difference with those fat strings. Also, the Pahoehoe strings stop stretching where I've read on bass forums that the Ashbory strings always stretch until they break or are replaced. I'd personally prefer one over the acoustic (which I just got) because it has onboard controls.

Well, the Ashbory is an 18" scale, the U-bass is 21" and that makes a world of difference with those fat strings. Also, the Pahoehoe strings stop stretching where I've read on bass forums that the Ashbory strings always stretch until they break or are replaced. I'd personally prefer one over the acoustic (which I just got) because it has onboard controls.

Ah! Thank you. So it's essentially a more hearty playing experience than my Ashbory would be. I wonder if it'll also be available in both fretted and fretless like the original U Bass

Ah! Thank you. So it's essentially a more hearty playing experience than my Ashbory would be. I wonder if it'll also be available in both fretted and fretless like the original U Bass
From what I've read on bass forums, the fretless version is much tougher to play. It's tough to accurately land your fingers in the small, unforgiving space without some sort of guide. You really don't feel or hear the frets on the fretted version, either.

I've read some comments on bass forums that the Ashbory is also tough to play at the higher frets because of the spacing. That alone made me delay buying one.

The U-bass is, otherwise, a nice short-scale bass with a hearty sound. I suspect this will have a similar sound - I don't think the hollow body contributes a lot to the amplified result.

The U-bass is, otherwise, a nice short-scale bass with a hearty sound. I suspect this will have a similar sound - I don't think the hollow body contributes a lot to the amplified result.

No, I'm sure it doesn't. It's just an aesthetics thing. The solid body U Bass does nada for me, and I've already got an Ashbory that I neglect. Though I am now very tempted to go ahead and try out the Pahoehoe strings on her.

That's what I thought too, not that it would take away from the instrument, though. It just doesn't seem to have much "uke"-ness on the surface, except for the strings. A precursory eBay search showed that the acoustic U-Bass price point was about 4-500 bucks depending on the type of wood used, so I would be surprised if this bass ended up costing a lot more (or a lot less) than that.

Just not sure you get anything with this bass that a traditional electric bass doesn't do better. The acoustic version does give that woody upright sound that hasn't really been available without an upright. This just seems lacking.

Seriously considering selling a nice electric bass to buy the acoustic version...I wouldn't even consider it for this version. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom