PDA

View Full Version : Southern Illinois Ukin' in the Woods campout and uke fest!

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Howdy!
Ever since last year (2009) UWC I thought it would be fun to get folks together outside, and try to remedy the longing for UWC time. That is why I'm Happy to announce this years Ukin' in the Woods camp out, in southern Illinois.

Camp out Objective(why)
The objective of this event is to not only build bonds of friendship but bonds with our natural world as well. Making music in the forest, near the water, or on a bluff with people have so much in common with.

Who- Open to all ages uke players or enthusiasts, friends, family, pets ect...I expect the turn out to be modest, around 20-30 people, and intimate gathering to share good music and conversation

When- DATE CONFIRMED FOR OCTOBER 15-16-17 2010....Arrive on friday anytime after noon (or just talked to me ahead and you can come earlier) and be leaving sunday evening ish....we have the event cabin from friday at noon until sunday at noon

Where- In the Carbondale, Illinois region. Carbondale Illinois is home to Southern Illinois University, the inspiration for the movie Animal House, (as Jim Belushi, Johns brother is an alum) And home to some of the finest forestry and radio/television programs in the nation. Just south of Carbondale is the Shawnee national forest which dissects the lower portion of the state from the Ohio to Mississippi Rivers, and south to the Kentucky border. So what? Southern Illinois is home to a larger diversity of plant and animal species than anyother place in the country (no kidding!) because it was never once glaciated or submerged under the ocean. The location is finally decided upon. It is a RUSTIC cabin, in the forest with a fireplace and some chairs, (no beds or couches) This spot is both the main event site, as well as accommodations for all who wish to stay in a more rustic setting. There is a great deal of floor space in the cabin to stretch out and sleep boyscout style, on pads with sleeping bags, as well as a large pasture/maple grove to set up tents for more privacy. There is water one site, as well as a porta-pooper, and showers and nicer facilities are just down the road at a campground (likely free of charge).

What One of the finest things we know about the UWC is that the lack of structure is where the magic lies...It is my goal to impart such a freeness to this event, however, i have a few events planned...
Friday- Just meet-greet, Jam and Eat. Participants will likely arrive mid to late afternoon. The cabin site does have electricity, to facilitate jamming into the night (as well as a wonderful fireplace)
Saturday- Southern Illinois is home to a wonderful array of wineries, (a dozen or more) many specializing in our most common local crops apples and peaches, as well as grapes as well. Saturday will be spent winding our way down the country roads and forcing our ukulele ways on the patrons of these fine establishments, as most of these wineries as very scenic areas to sit and enjoy the late summer sun (expect temptures in the 60's to 70s during the day, and 35-55 at night) This won't be a completely organized afternoon, though i expect the majority of us will travel together,being the wacky band of minstrels we are.
Sunday Either saturday morning or sunday will be spent enjoying the out of doors, either visiting one of the local wilderness areas (places left where no mechanical things, including chainsaws, bikes, and atvs are allowed) where we can find ourselves one of the many shelter bluffs (shallow "caves") to act as a natural amphitheater for an acoustic open mic. This Hike will likely be 2-3 miles and of moderate-difficult terrain. Canoeing will likely be a possibilty on Little Grassy lake, if the group size ends up being smaller.

Cost The cost of camping at the site is $7 per person per night, and we will be staying two nights. This money goes to touch of nature environmental center, to help with its programming for at risk youth, physically and mentally disabled individuals, and other educational programming, a good cause. Those staying elsewhere need not pay this price.
Other Accomodations:
If camping isn't your thing for physical or other reasons, and a nice comfy bed is the way you want to go, please look into

http://www.littlegrassylakecampground.com/Camping.html for Full RV hook up or tent camping nearer to the shower facilities

http://giantcitylodge.com/lodging/#cabins_historic a state park about 1.5 miles from the likely event site the cabins are fairly nice, but not luxurious

the Towns of Carbondale (9 miles from site) Marion (15 miles from site) Anna (15 miles from site) and Murphysboro ( 15 miles from site,) all have many hotels

Travel information: The nearest large, international airport is St louis which is roughly 2 hours away, chicago is roughly 6 hours (and it is likely the people will be driving from there, so rides may be arrangeable) Memphis is 2.5 hours, and the nearest local airport is Marion Illinois (Williamson county airport) which does connecting flights to St louis and Chicago. Carbondale is the nearest city and is located on Highway 51 and Highway 13, about 15 minutes west of Interstate 57. Also if you put a canoe in the mississippi river in Minneapolis Mn, it will take you about 1.5 months to get here, and i can pick you up then.

Final Thoughts: Southern Illinois is fairly centrally located in the US and many midwestern and southerners can get here in less than 8 hours by car from IN, MO, LA, AL, GA, TN, WI, MI, IA...ect, so i hope i can make this event as accessible as possible, any private concerns or questions feel free to PM me
So thats about all for now, I will update this thread often, as i get more information, I should be able to make confirmation about the cabin site within the week.

Thanks and please post if you are seriously interested so i can started putting together a fuzzy count

Alex

Melissa82
06-08-2010, 01:30 PM
This is awesome, I really hope I can make it.

I love youuuuuuuuu Alex!

PoisonDart
06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Yesss!!!! Ninth is my bday, even!

iamdanielle
06-08-2010, 02:05 PM
see you in october, mountain man! thanks for doing this.

itsme
06-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The objective of this event is to not only build bonds of friendship but bonds with our natural world as well. Making music in the forest, near the water, or on a bluff with people have so much in common with.
I really need to get my eyes checked... for some reason I read that as in the buff, although that could be interesting, too. :D

Pondoro
06-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I am interested, if you start a mailing list add me. Not sure of my schedule yet though.

Rzr
06-08-2010, 02:36 PM
It's almost 800 miles from my house. I'll think about it.

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
not an impossibility..nuff said.

Faricelli
06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a date. I"m in.

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 02:50 PM

i'll likely also be at the milwaukee fest as well...that one might be a little more realistic for you

ukeeku
06-08-2010, 04:12 PM
From central IL to Southern IL, I should be there with bells on. I mean it literally, I will have bells of all kinds (Pants, cow, beer.....)
Can't wait, keep us in the loop. The minute the date is final I will put it on my site also.

dktoller
06-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Wow. Sounds like a fabulous idea Alex.
Just talked it over with my wife and I could make the Oct 16-17-18 weekend. The other one would be much harder to do.

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow. Sounds like a fabulous idea Alex.
Just talked it over with my wife and I could make the Oct 16-17-18 weekend. The other one would be much harder to do.

well sir as long as i don't get any "NO WAY 16-18" from people i like more than you (jokes) then i'm pretty sure it'll be the latter weekend, and all will be well, i very much hope to see you again....i should know a final date asap

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 05:15 PM
From central IL to Southern IL, I should be there with bells on. I mean it literally, I will have bells of all kinds (Pants, cow, beer.....)
Can't wait, keep us in the loop. The minute the date is final I will put it on my site also.

sounds fantastic! its only about 4 hours from normal

dktoller
06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
people i like more than you
What? I thought I was the BFF. Although I did see you kissing... ah nevermind.

Anyhow if a different date happens I'll just have to lobby a little harder -- this kind of advanced notice always helps.

kilaana
06-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I am totally and completely down with this plan! I'm suffering UWC withdrawls already. I will bring beer.

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 07:15 PM
I am totally and completely down with this plan! I'm suffering UWC withdrawls already. I will bring beer.

great to hear! just keep checking for more information

phanzo
06-08-2010, 08:07 PM
haha yea, it's over 1,500 miles for us :D

We most likely wont be able to make it, although we would love to be able to. Our financial situation for the summer is gonna suck since I just got furloughed at work. Also, we have a Jack Johnson show to attend on the 10th, so money will be a bit tight. We'll find out more when it gets closer, but as of now, it will have to remain a fantasy. In which case, it will be "in the buff" :D

Bassukuguy
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
dude: Ukes, hiking, wandering around southern IL. Eff yeah. ill be there.

bornagainjeeper
06-08-2010, 08:19 PM
dude: Ukes, hiking, wandering around southern IL. Eff yeah. ill be there.

well you can more or less spit and be there, so i was hopin so my local friend

harpdog
06-09-2010, 03:26 AM
I'll keep an eye on this - appealing

hoosierhiver
06-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Groovy, I'm in!

RevWill
06-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Groovy, I'm in!

That makes me happy.

I think I can make this one.

austin1
06-09-2010, 06:24 AM
I am so there!

MissJonib
06-09-2010, 06:27 AM
Yes! Please keep us posted!

revdrjim
06-09-2010, 07:07 AM
i hope to make this one

Skitzic
06-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Hm...15 hour drive....it's possible. Have to see what I can talk the sig-o into...

Ukulelerob
06-11-2010, 01:33 AM
I would like to be part of this Alex.
We didn't get to shake hand at the UWC. What a shame.

Oh by the way LOVED THE BOILED PEANUTS song.

kilaana
06-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Oh by the way LOVED THE BOILED PEANUTS song.

Oh, so THAT'S what he was saying! I thought... oh, nevermind.

bornagainjeeper
06-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh, so THAT'S what he was saying! I thought... oh, nevermind.

you hear what you wanna hear dear....you hear what you wanna hear

salukulady
06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
I would so love to be there. Alas, Alex that's just too far away for me to get to. Once a year a trip to the midwest is all I can wrangle. Gotta save my pennies for UWC next year.

salukulady
06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
i'll likely also be at the milwaukee fest as well...that one might be a little more realistic for youI've been to several uke fests. You can't compare a uke fest with what we had last week. Two different animals.

Ukulelerob
06-13-2010, 01:14 AM
It looks like the Devils Kitchen Cabins are unavailable for these weekends.

bornagainjeeper
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
It looks like the Devils Kitchen Cabins are unavailable for these weekends.

thanks i'll make a note of that!

bornagainjeeper
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
OKAY! location is confirmed it is a RUSTIC cabin (no furniture of any sort, simply a concrete floor and lights BUT VERY VERY cool) it does have a beautiful fireplace and a big potbelly iron stove. I will have pictures up fairly soon. We can likely sleep about 20 people inside if not a few more, there are also large covered porches, and PLENTY of room for tenters. The cost is $7 dollars per night per person and i don't have to have a deposit or anything, so it seems that you can simply pay when you arrive.... The site is alcohol free....but uh....we'll just keep that on the DL no one will really be around to bother us after dark i spoze...

JT_Ukes
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
alcohol free.. whats that? I'm gonna read it as Free booze! Whoo Hoo!!!!

revdrjim
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM
OKAY! location is confirmed it is a RUSTIC cabin (no furniture of any sort, simply a concrete floor and lights BUT VERY VERY cool) it does have a beautiful fireplace and a big potbelly iron stove. I will have pictures up fairly soon. We can likely sleep about 20 people inside if not a few more, there are also large covered porches, and PLENTY of room for tenters. The cost is $7 dollars per night per person and i don't have to have a deposit or anything, so it seems that you can simply pay when you arrive.... The site is alcohol free....but uh....we'll just keep that on the DL no one will really be around to bother us after dark i spoze...

Hi - Sorry for being dense but what are the dates again?

shanifawni
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
i'm so excited for this count me innnnnnn!!!!

bornagainjeeper
06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
dates are October 15-16-17

seeso
06-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm in dammit.

William L
06-25-2010, 04:54 AM
I'm in........save me a spot for my air mattress!

Hankthetank
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
How have I not responded to this yet? I think I gave you a verbal yes before but I am making it official now. I will be there Alex.

dktoller
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM
dates are October 15-16-17

The kitchen pass has been signed! Shout if there's anything I can bring/do to help you get ready.

bornagainjeeper
06-28-2010, 11:19 AM
There have been some questions about travel arrangements...
I large won't be able to give folks rides from the airports (except the most local Williamson County Airport in Marion IL...) BUT large groups of people coming down from Chicago and St Louis i'm sure they will be available to give at least some rides.
St louis is the nearest large airport (about 2:15hr away) that is Lambert Int'l....
Chicago is roughly 6:30hr away but as i mentioned there are a number of folks coming down, so some carpool action is a distinct possibility. Any other questions FEEL free to ask and i will help y'all sort it out!

RevWill
06-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Amtrak also runs from Chi-town to C'dale.

bornagainjeeper
06-30-2010, 11:54 AM
yess in deed.....it runs from chicago to carbondale...tickets tend to be about $70 when bought in advance (round trip) i cant easily pick up ukers at the train station

Dreambear
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
This looks like a lot of fun! I don't know if I am good enough to go yet. I need to practice.

ukeeku
06-30-2010, 05:06 PM
This looks like a lot of fun! I don't know if I am good enough to go yet. I need to practice.

You don't have to be good to go. Playing the uke and things like this are for everyone. At the UWC I saw a bunch of people just enjoying watching and many teaching others how to play. I hope you come and see what a great spirit these types of events have.

sorikku
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Ohhh! Count me in! I will be bringing between 2 and 4 friends with me. As long as my school schedule allows it, I'm totally there!

bornagainjeeper
07-09-2010, 07:11 PM
zingo wizbang bump

RevWill
07-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Pretty sure I'll be there, at least some of the time.

revdrjim
07-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Pretty sure I'll be there, at least some of the time.

pretty sure when i'm there i won't be there all the time

gooeyday
07-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I am a new uker and just registered for the forum. Voila! A uke campout in my neck of the woods! I'd love to come with the family (hubby and 2 kids). We have a VW bus ~ I hope there is a nice spot to park/pop the top for camping? Please add me to the mailing list, if you create one. And thanks for organizing this swell sounding gathering. XD

Peace
~* Laura

bornagainjeeper
07-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I am a new uker and just registered for the forum. Voila! A uke campout in my neck of the woods! I'd love to come with the family (hubby and 2 kids). We have a VW bus ~ I hope there is a nice spot to park/pop the top for camping? Please add me to the mailing list, if you create one. And thanks for organizing this swell sounding gathering. XD

Peace
~* Laura

thanks so much for your interest Laura, there is room to park the wagon!
i'll put together some sort of list when the time draws nigh, look for us on FACEBOOK under ukin in the woods the best info will come on this thread at UU, but you can also ask questions there....where are you from, im in Carbondale (actually makanda, ) we should get togther and uke sometime!

iamdanielle
07-12-2010, 12:48 AM
bought my plane ticket! see you all in october.

MrsMeyerMusic
07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
We just might be able to make this one!

gooeyday
08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
i'll put together some sort of list when the time draws nigh, look for us on FACEBOOK under ukin in the woods the best info will come on this thread at UU, but you can also ask questions there....where are you from, im in Carbondale (actually makanda, ) we should get togther and uke sometime!

I am up in Alton, actually... Too far for casual ukin', but easy enough for a weekend gathering! Looking forward to cool weather and some good times among the trees. :)

~* Laura

bornagainjeeper
08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
bump...yeah i'm that guy.

ADD
08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Uking in the woods with lots of other ukesters sounds like a lot more fun than last time I did it - a large group of people but only 2 of us with ukes (more of a sing-a-long) in 1967. Sure hope I can make it.

salukulady
08-30-2010, 03:53 AM
Uking in the woods with lots of other ukesters sounds like a lot more fun than last time I did it - a large group of people but only 2 of us with ukes (more of a sing-a-long) in 1967. Sure hope I can make it.Bornagainjeeper wasn't born yet, otherwise you woulda had a better turn-out.

austin1
09-01-2010, 04:13 AM
work has officially given me the days off (which I requested a month and a half ago). Hooray!

Bassukuguy
09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
After a crappy couple of months i need to get psyched about something... Get out of here September i need some group ukin'.

austin1
09-18-2010, 01:18 PM
shameless bump

this is happening soon! and I am excited about it!

ukeeku
09-19-2010, 07:56 AM
http://ukeeku.com/about/ukin-in-the-woods-shirts/
Howdy yall!!
I talked with Alex and asked if I may do shirts for this awesome event.
Well here is the deal in a nut shell.
Buy it on the site and get a little discount and I will bring your shirt to the event all washed and stuff.
I can do special orders for things like girls and kids shirts or anything else that you may want the logo on.
I will have some at the event, but not a ton and they are more at the event and it will be likely that you will have less choice in color.
Pre-order stops October 3.
Can't wait to see yall there!

http://ukeeku.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/shirtmocks.gif

So goto http://ukeeku.com/about/ukin-in-the-woods-shirts/ for more info

iamdanielle
09-19-2010, 08:01 AM
hey poopy faces, unfortunately i wont be able to attend this amazing gathering. i didn't realize that culinary school was going to be as intense as it is and i really can't miss a day unless i want to be ridiculously behind. so for the first time in my life, i'm going to have to do the responsible thing and choose school over ukulele because for the first time in my life i actually love school. have an amazing time though and please call me when you're all together!

(i still bought a t-shirt though. i am a shameless poser.)

bornagainjeeper
09-19-2010, 09:56 AM
OK Y'ALLL I'm compiling a somewhat final list here...I've said from the beginning i'm happy if 4 people show up of 40...Lemme know how many of you plan to come by sending me a PM and i can more accurately plan our fun events (if there are only about 10 or 15 we may be able to canoe...if there are more we will hike down to a little cave) SO lemme know if you plan to come! and then i'll put together a mailing list and get you the most up to date information

Jerlial Prophet
09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
OK Y'ALLL I'm compiling a somewhat final list here...I've said from the beginning i'm happy if 4 people show up of 40...Lemme know how many of you plan to come by sending me a PM and i can more accurately plan our fun events (if there are only about 10 or 15 we may be able to canoe...if there are more we will hike down to a little cave) SO lemme know if you plan to come! and then i'll put together a mailing list and get you the most up to date information

Do you have a deadline? Also, leading people down to a cave out in the woods sounds a little scary to me. You don't wear people as hats or anything do you?

salukulady
09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Do you have a deadline? Also, leading people down to a cave out in the woods sounds a little scary to me. You don't wear people as hats or anything do you?(insert theme song from Deliverance.....)

Coconut Willie
09-20-2010, 04:37 AM
(insert theme song from deliverance.....)

lol.......................

salukulady
09-20-2010, 04:47 AM
lol.......................Well....have you met Alex? I have. You won't find me attending this event.......just sayin'....

UkuleleMcvey
09-20-2010, 06:40 AM
That's only about 50 miles away from where I live, I'd love to go! Only problem is, I'm low on gas and I'm as broke as a joke ):

seeso
09-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Well....have you met Alex? I have. You won't find me attending this event.......just sayin'....

To an outsider, this post might look harsh. I assure you all, Sally's just pokin' fun.

salukulady
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
To an outsider, this post might look harsh. I assure you all, Sally's just pokin' fun.Yeah, sorry Seeso. I forgot I wasn't in poho land.

Alex is one of the sweetest most lovable guys here on UU, and I so wish I could attend. I seriously hope he becomes my son-in-law someday, and I really love my daughter. Please everyone that does go, give him a big old bear hug from me.

sarastro
09-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Wish I could be there. I attended SIU 1972-77. OK, it took me 5 years to graduate, but who's counting?

penel
09-22-2010, 05:06 PM
What luck for me to have stumbled onto your mention of this event.
A month back my daughter invited my mr. and me for a weekend a stay at her place on Lake of Egypt the very same weekend.

We'll be driving down from Chicago on Friday and I'm not so sure we'd be up for the wilds that night (after the 6 hour drive) but the possible agenda some time during Saturday looks fun if you'd be willing to put a modicum of planning into it.

Saturday- Southern Illinois is home to a wonderful array of wineries, (a dozen or more) many specializing in our most common local crops apples and peaches, as well as grapes as well. Saturday will be spent winding our way down the country roads and forcing our ukulele ways on the patrons of these fine establishments, as most of these wineries as very scenic areas to sit and enjoy the late summer sun (expect temptures in the 60's to 70s during the day, and 35-55 at night) This won't be a completely organized afternoon, though i expect the majority of us will travel together,being the wacky band of minstrels we are.

I'd just love for us to be rambling around little egypt with family (daughter, s-i-l, grand kids, and perhaps a few local relatives) while singing with our ukes and to seemingly by chance "stumble" onto 20-30 other folks (y'all) all armed with ukes who just happen to be in a neighborhood winery

but for that I'd need time estimates and GPS coordinates, eh?

Its probably more planning than you'd planned for but ever since seeing this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gMpRCMttSM I have been so envious.

Penel

ukeeku
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Just a reminder that shirt orders will stop October 3rd
Just go to http://ukeeku.com/about/ukin-in-the-woods-shirts/
and order yours today. If you want one but not keen on using Paypal, please e-mail me with a name, size and color and I will have it at the site for you. I will not be mad if you don't claim it or something happens. I just want to make sure that the pople who want one get a shirt one way or the other.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YALL THERE!!

hoosierhiver
09-28-2010, 04:26 AM
I think I might be dragging my buddy Derek along with me. Looking forward to this!

Hey Jeeps' how about a google map to the site?

PoisonDart
10-04-2010, 07:32 AM
I second both bringing Derek and also google map or GPS co-ords of the location.

bornagainjeeper
10-07-2010, 06:58 PM
ALRIGHT LONG AWAITED DIRECTIONS! Here is the easiest way BY FAR (and its easy!)

Get yourself to CARBONDALE IL 62901

If coming from MARION IL or MURPHYSBORO IL you will be on HIGHWAY 13 (it runs E and W and is known as MAIN ST and WALNUT Street only in Carbondale)

On the East End of Carbondale you will Find a Walmart, Burger King, Taco Bell, Macdonalds, Kroger Grocery...This is GIANT CITY ROAD
(there will be a brown sign to Giant City State Park and Touch of Nature)

Go SOUTH (away from Walmart) On GIANT CITY ROAD something like 10 miles or so

You will see a LARGE SIGN for TOUCH OF NATURE ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER (this is NOT where you go, but you are within about half a mile)

The road will go up and down several steep Hills and you will see a small Gravel Road near the top of one of the hills called UPPER FORTY rd.
YOU'RE THERE! There will be a Large ukulele main of carboard or something, and you will see large yellow gates opened. Follow this small road (drive carefully) until you dead end (about 1 or 2 minutes) at a cabin...can't miss it.

I'm having a hard time getting my account to work on Google, so let me try to figure out that map in the next few days here.

I will be at the site Likely after about 2pm...so try not to arrive before then, and we will wrap up the event at Sundown on Sunday for those staying that long (leaving earlier is fine too!) If anyone is making a longer trip out of it, I can get you directions to other cabins or tent camping just down the road

A few things to keep in mind:
If you think you've seen deer on the road before, you don't know nothing yet ....BE VERY VERY CAREFUL on Giant City Road, if its past 3pm you WILL see TONS of deer.
If you see Giant City Stables, Beaver Rd., Giant City Campground, Or Giant City State Park, you've gone just a little TOO far, head North a little bit.
If you have on board GPS on your Car You may want to try SIU TOUCH OF NATURE ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER...as that is very near (if it won't find Upper Forty Road) Also Giant City State Park is very near. BUt keep in mind it is on GIANT CITY ROAD and not at either of those two mentioned places (its between them actually)
It really isn't hard to find, i'll be checking fairly regularly this week and answer any questions, It would be wise if you PM and tell me you are coming so I can give you my phone number. Though ATT cell reception (my carrier, is fairly poor out that way)

On monday or tuesday i will be making a video with real live driving from carbondale and a tour of the cabin

WHILE I"M THINKING CABIN:
Let me give you a little list of things to think about

There isn't any food set up, so you'll need worry about that for yourself. I will have TWO small webber style grills and a LARGE propane burner (would work for fry pants and pots) I will also have one large pot (like for pasta). So anything else you think you'll need : bring it.

There IS water on site, but a Jug or two of drinking water might not be a terrible idea

I don't really have much camping gear availible, i will have an extra tent...and the university rents sleeping bags and such for 5 dollars a day...let me know and i can try to get it worked out with you.

Keep in mind, the cabin is availble to sleep in (it is just a concrete floor, but there is a cast iron stove and a fireplace) so if that were the case all you would really need is some blankets or a sleeping bag, and probably a foam ground pad (just dollars at walmart)

IF you have extra sleeping bags or tents, and you have room in the car...it wouldn't be a bad idea to pack them for your fellow ukers! some people flying or traveling far, and some of them city folk, might not have everything the need.

Another quick note on the Alcohol situation....the cite is owned by southern illinois university and is officially "alcohol free" those are air quotes...people who run the place are not far off on friday when the sun is up, so we need to keep it on the down low until dark...and be careful about where we throw things away....I don't anticipate problems, and i can help fill you in when you get there...we can enjoy some drinkies...just not until the sun goes down on friday basically. (We could all go together and make up some boozy Cider or something in a cooler!) Also keep in mind, that there will be families and such at the event, so best behavior haha!

I have alot of FUN stuff planned as I mentioned before. All stuff is optional of course, and if wineries or hiking isn't your thing, i (i am a wilderness guide by profession) can you get you set up with directions and other things at the event! Just ASK! This weekend is also Makanda ILlinois' (in my Hill Billy Lullabye Video) Vulture Fest...a very small little craft fair with GREAT music and a little bit of food...so that would be a worth while hour or two diversion on saturday or sunday and is only about 5 minutes from the cabin

bornagainjeeper
10-07-2010, 07:11 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=37.632994,-89.126244&spn=0.122894,0.300064&z=12&msid=115978900743128033042.00049213e24e48e9cb15a

This should get your settled at least!

Any problems PM me! i'm MORE than happy to help
anyone excited yet!

bornagainjeeper
10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
bumpy bumper bumpity boo

ukeeku
10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=37.632994,-89.126244&spn=0.122894,0.300064&z=12&msid=115978900743128033042.00049213e24e48e9cb15a

This should get your settled at least!

Any problems PM me! i'm MORE than happy to help
anyone excited yet!

YES, I could pee myself I am so excited. I will bring a butt ton of stuff. Like an extra sleeping bag, an extra tent if my 14 person does not work for you, and other propane cooking stuffs. I have other things too.
Hope to see yall there.

dktoller
10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
It's a beautiful time of year. This should be amazing.
I'll pack an extra tent and maybe a full sized Weber if it fits. On the other hand if I can find a good place for the hammock I might just sleep outside!

bornagainjeeper
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
It's a beautiful time of year. This should be amazing.
I'll pack an extra tent and maybe a full sized Weber if it fits. On the other hand if I can find a good place for the hammock I might just sleep outside!

There shouldn't be any trouble getting you slung up in a hammock bud...lots of trees...being the woods and all...

THanks to you two for being able to bring a little bit of gear, really helpful...i just don't want anyone to be without...all anyone really will need is a sleeping bag...and someone to feed them haha

bornagainjeeper
10-12-2010, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7YZh1Kws6s

I went to the site today, and discovered there IS NOT A WATER TAP THERE ANYMORE...so you'll need a few gallons or so

bornagainjeeper
10-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Little bumpy poo

Bassukuguy
10-12-2010, 10:18 PM
im like 95 percent sure im still gonna be there. just getting over a 4 day sickness so we shall see.

bornagainjeeper
10-13-2010, 08:06 AM
im like 95 percent sure im still gonna be there. just getting over a 4 day sickness so we shall see.

big boy pants matt....big boy pants.
GET BETTER....don't drink beer at ukin in the woods, just grab a six pack of 'tussin

Ukulelerob
10-13-2010, 09:29 AM
My sister Lynn and I will be traveling down Thursday. I got a motel that night in Marion. See you Friday Alex.

PoisonDart
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Took off friday, be there sometime in the afternoon! yeeehawww!

ADD
10-13-2010, 04:01 PM

I went to the site today,

Darn, I want to uke in the woods and meet all of you. Thanks for the letting me come along for the ride and tour the place. Wish I could do it this weekend in my own car. Maybe next year. Have fun.

bornagainjeeper
10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Darn, I want to uke in the woods and meet all of you. Thanks for the letting me come along for the ride and tour the place. Wish I could do it this weekend in my own car. Maybe next year. Have fun.

Love to have you...where in the midwest are ya? This will be in carbondale IL

Also for those of you who are coming, remember to have 15 dollars for the site, i'll have a bucket out, it would be really great if you pay cuzz if not, i may end up playing it aaaaaaaaand....that means ramen for a month! I CAN"T WAIT to see you'unz....it looks like we'll have a nice sized crowed AROUND 20ish so it should be alot of fun....remember some jugs of water....maybe a pot or pan if you have anything in mind (i'll be bring a few but likely not enough to feed the crowd)

There is also fast food and pizza galore in town...i wouldn't make fun of anyone for just doing that either

So the most recent schedual of events (all optional)

Friday- 2pm-Meet Greet Uke
Fridaynight campfire

Saturday 9am (can't we sleep til noon...) ADVENTURE UKULELE HIKE! I will have a woodsy song printed out and maybe create a youtube video out of it Hike should be about 3 miles of relatively flat (fairly easy terrain)

Saturday 12pm WINE TRAIL....Planning to hit up two or three wineries, about an hour at each...Most have mostly free tasting (sometimes you play for the glass but get the money back when you return it) glasses of wine are typically 3-6 dollars, bottles 9-20.... For Non Drinkers and KIDS who don't want to come along on that part of the SINsational wine tour (the wineries are all quite family friendly with NA drinks, some food, and large beautiful grounds, perfect for catch, football, frisbee ect)
Saturday 4pm This would be an ideal time to head down to VULTUREFEST which is a SMALL festival in a VERY unique little hippie art community...the music is usually pretty great...(i'm not positive how late things rock and roll down there, if not saturday they should still be doing their stuff til about 3pm on sunday as well)
Saturday Night- UKE JAMMIN CAMPFIRE

Sunday- I imagine lots of people will need to head out noonish on sunday, for those who can stay around, there is tenetively a canoe paddle planned (or even a pontoon ride MAYBE) it all is based on availiblity at the marina, and since i work there, i get it for free, but behind paying customers...If not a water activity, another beautiful hike is certainly possible...
Sunset on sunday is time to pack up and go home

A last note on alcohol at the site.
The cabin is university run, so they said to me "remember its alcohol free"...i'm certain that means, "Don't Burn anything down"...and i SERIOUSLY DOubt anyone will come and bother us about it....but we will need to be descrete. I ask that any drinking be done at night, or out of discrete containers (water bottles, sippy cups, baby bottles, plastic cups) I'm not gunna be a jerk about it, so lets just Keep the jeeper from getting in trouble, and enjoy our beer at night AND HOWWWWWWWWWWL AT THE MOON

love ya all
See you SOON

kilaana
10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Wow! It all sounds like great fun, and I had hoped to make it, but it looks like work conflicts are gong to keep be from being there. I hope you guys have a really great time... and as an act of solidarity I shall find some time this weekend to sit on my back deck, sip some wine, and play my uke. And, what the heck, for added solidarity maybe I'll even pee in the woods! :)

ADD
10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
And, what the heck, for added solidarity maybe I'll even pee in the woods! :)

Made me laugh, but gotta say I'd have to drink a lot to willingly go pee in the woods. Now if I were a guy.....

ADD
10-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Love to have you...where in the midwest are ya? This will be in carbondale IL

About 50 miles west of Mississippi River in south cental Iowa. Wouldn't be far if I was free this weekend.
Video live directions is the ultimate. Is there an app for that?

PoisonDart
10-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Packin my stuff up tonight, leavin with Shani and Seeso in the morning! wahoo!

bornagainjeeper
10-17-2010, 09:42 AM
From my point of view ukin' in the woods was an overwhelming success, and truly no cause of mine, I want to reach out the biggest thanks and hugs to all my friends who came, and all those who wished they could have, for your support in helping me organize this opportunity.
We had intimate, cozy, but star studded wonderful turn out. Austinlove (Tina) was the first to arrive and graced us with her beautiful uke playing and loverly charms (AND COOKIES! sorry guys i ate them all).
Followed by Ukulelerob and his sister lynne, A major thanks to you two for helping us provide some of the supplies and comforts for some of the folks who didn't have all the gear they needed. I'll never forget all the laughs i had with rob and lynne around the fire both nights.
Next Ukeeku (Tim) arrived, Ukin' in the woods t shirts printed and in hand, and a tent so large it would make PT Barnum shake with envy (though it lacked the required number of elephants for a real circus...but full of clowns)
DKTOLLER (Derrick) played some many wonderful songs for us around the campfire, a oft' requested one teaching us just how how many wings there are on a cow...(apparently the same number up fingernails on a dolphin)
BassUkeGuy (Matt), a long time uke friend, and southern Illinois neighbor arrived with his extraordinarily complicated uke...he said it was a hammer dulcimer, i think someone just lost count when they were stringing up the thing (20 courses of strings! i only have 2 hands!) Next year matt, I'd love to hear a cover of Hawaii 5-0, or POSSIBLY Something by sting and the police!
Then RevWill (willie) arrived...Friday night was FULL of countless jaw dropping bluesy favorites in full glorious RevWill style (MAN that guy can play and sing)...and is an overwhelmingly joyful person to be around (i tell you whhat)...
Then Thom from the Flea Bitten dogs showed up, a surprise and VERY welcome guest for most of us. There is nothing better around a camp fire than a few beverages, and Thoms childrens songs about Fish Guts, Rice and Beans, or reminding us how to say the alphabet (JUST MY SPEED). More than just kids stuff, there was always some amazing finger work going on from his side of the campfire and yelling "Pick it Thom!" insured a blazin' solo break.
We all sat around, very much happy and enjoying ourselves, but something was missing....a few somethings! We knew Seeso, Shani (shanifawni) and Ben (PoisonDarts) were on their way, but a tad behind schedule! Then the party bus showed up. Seeso (this was his first campout! WOOO yeah!) did what many of us know as seeso's greatest talent, bringing people closer, breaking down barriers, and building the ultimate jam session, I don't recall looking at him once with out seeing him smiling and strumming along. Shani gave us so many wonderful songs, regina spektor, some AMAZING originals, and others sung in that beautifully delicate soprano voice of hers. Often singing along was Ben, who i met for the first time at UWC PART ONE, was there, beeritone ukulele in hand, also performing some great originals, and providing southern hospitality to our early morning visitor!
On saturday we went on a hike to Panthers Den Wilderness and performed country roads as a group under a big sandstone bluff, with some birds and bees singing back up, reading chord changes scratched into the dirt. We then visited a few of southern Illinois wineries, ordered a pizza and settled in. You ever open xmas presents, and feel like life can't get any better, only to find one you didn't know you had hidden under all the mess the next day?! WELL On saturday we had a WONDERFUL surprise from HoosierHiver (mike of mainland ukes) and Derek from Indiana, complete with the worlds fanciest washtub bass, and the mainland banjo uke. We were also treated to a few Killbilly Caldera tunes

And then there was me. In pink camo. Happy as a fly on poo. Biggest thanks for all of you who dropped everything to come join me in my neck of the woods, for some goofy little uke campout. The memories are endless and the friendships just beginning.

Truely Love you All
Alex.

salukulady
10-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Ohhh Alex, it sounds wonderful. I'm so glad it turned out fun. So wish I coulda been there. Thanks for the update.

UncleElvis
10-17-2010, 10:10 AM
I am so happy for you guys!
It sounded like an amazing weekend. I'm more than a little jealous!

I'll be expecting vids and pix as soon as humanly possible!

ukeshale
10-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Sounds like you all had an amazing time. I've seen pictures of the campsite on Will's FB. JEALOUS

RevWill
10-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Willie and Seeso jammin' around the campfire was pure bliss.

Watching Tina play my Fluke was wonderful.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs786.snc4/66596_484667555451_647940451_6891680_998000_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs157.snc4/37197_484368475451_647940451_6886884_495306_n.jpg

Bassukuguy
10-17-2010, 08:06 PM
ahh, such a wonderful weekend. it seriously couldnt have been a more perfect Southern IL weekend to show all our friends from out of region. in all seriousness i have to say in one word, it could have summed everything up... Intimate. special thanks to Alex setting everything up and Tim for running the shirts and organizational stuff.

hopefully next year i wont have to call the cops.

hoosierhiver
10-18-2010, 04:27 AM
It was a great time, if there would have been another 10 people it would have had a different feel to it. It was a great chance to get to know everyone a little better.
Intimate and memorable for sure.

PoisonDart
10-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Choice weekend for sure! Nice little hike down to Panther's Den, wonderful uke playing. Beautiful weather, only lost one toe on the first chilly night, but I think my heart is warmed forever!

dktoller
10-18-2010, 06:21 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs157.snc4/37197_484368475451_647940451_6886884_495306_n.jpg

Beautiful people, beautiful weather, and beautiful scenery. Alex did a marvelous job of setting this up, and then just letting it happen. I can't wait to the see the Country Roads video.

seeso
10-18-2010, 07:37 AM
I had a great time! It was my first time sleeping in a tent. This city boy has returned alive, with all his limbs intact. Thanks for everything, Alex.

Except for that persimmon. It was gross. But hey, I tasted the woods!

ukeeku
10-18-2010, 09:45 AM
One of the best camping trips ever. I hope it happens again next year. I may have brought to much stuff though :P
On the really cool side, I can now say I slept with Seeso.

Ukulelerob
10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
OK, here's some pictures from the week end:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000590801667#!/album.php?aid=42010&id=100000590801667

olgoat52
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
One of the best camping trips ever. I hope it happens again next year. I may have brought to much stuff though :P
On the really cool side, I can now say I slept with Seeso.

Was it everything that you dreamed???

olgoat52
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
OK, here's some pictures from the week end:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000590801667#!/album.php?aid=42010&id=100000590801667

When I saw washtub bass I no idea it would that ornate. The piano cracked me up. ;-)

olgoat52
10-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I had a great time! It was my first time sleeping in a tent. This city boy has returned alive, with all his limbs intact. Thanks for everything, Alex.

Except for that persimmon. It was gross. But hey, I tasted the woods!

Seeso, who did you ride down with?

RevWill
10-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Seeso rode down with Ben (PoisonDart) and Shani.

Bassukuguy
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
that washtub bass was fantastic. if i only had the room...

ADD
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
What a wonderful weekend for all of you. Sorry I had to miss it. Hopefully next year. Any chance of youtube video to hear some camp uke-ing. Love to hear that bass and piano, too?

seeso
10-18-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm not sure if anyone took video from the campfire jams. Man, I hope so.

bornagainjeeper
10-18-2010, 04:44 PM
I got a little, i don't think i got any full songs, but i intend to make a highlights video

seeso
10-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I got a little, i don't think i got any full songs, but i intend to make a highlights video

Sweet. Thanks, Alex.

PoisonDart
10-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Where are the videos, people?!?!?! ;)

UkuleleHill
10-19-2010, 05:34 AM
Sounds like you all had fun!

bornagainjeeper
10-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Where are the videos, people?!?!?! ;)

workin on it tiger

PoisonDart
10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
rawwrrr, i'm not a tiger, i'm a mountain lion!

seeso
10-19-2010, 08:01 AM
False alarm! I found my toothbrush.

austin1
10-19-2010, 05:50 PM
this was pretty much the best weekend ever. I pumped gas for the first time! also, we saw panthers. True story.

Bassukuguy
10-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Has anyone posted the Country Roads vid, or am i just entirely out of the loop?

bornagainjeeper
10-24-2010, 05:55 AM
i don't believe it has been...i regret not turning around for my camera ...

ADD
10-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for posting your Compilation of Ukin' In The Woods, bornagainjeeper. Looked like you all had the grandest time, especially Seeso on that little piano. Enjoyed so many of your other videos, two hours went by in a flash. Thanks much for all (music, photography, ideas) that you put into your entertaining, some very funny and sometimes thought provoking videos.

earljam
12-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Damn! Right in my backyard and and I didn't know. Hope you do it again.

earljam
12-03-2010, 03:30 AM

I live in Makanda too, well, not the metro area but close. Sounds like we need a SHawnee Region Ukulele Gang.

lonerhino
09-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Bonita may have just convinced me to make the trek.

olgoat52
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Bonita may have just convinced me to make the trek.
Hey Loner Hino (:)) This is last years thread. The new thread is here http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?50354-Southern-Illinois-Ukin-in-the-Woods-2011!-THE-SEQUAL!

Hope to see you there.