Fretting hand thumb position

etoilefilante010

Reaction score
I justed started playing uke a few days ago, looking through websites to figure out how to do everything. There is something i'm still wondering about though. I read on one website that your fretting thumb shouldn't stick up over the edge of the neck, however i find it almost impossible to hold my soprano uke up and play like this. I've played violin and guitar in the past, and know that on both those instruments you usually want space between your hand and the neck in order to free up the fingers. I noticed that a lot of people on youtube have their thumbs sticking way up when playing uke. I tried playing like this, and even though its much easier to hold the uke, its harder to play barre chords.

What does everyone usually do with their fretting thumb?

(and don't tell me to buy a strap :p )

I like to keep my fretting thumb on the center back of the neck. It is a habit from my classical guitar training. I play the banjo the same way. It is not really about the thumb, but what is your wrist doing? I like to keep my wrist straight, and below the neck. If you have to contort you wrist, or bend it too much you risk some serious carpel tunnel problems down the road.
Some people get away with it somehow. I see guitarist fretting with their thumb, and they seem fine with it. I guess it just depends on what your body can do. Just be aware that if you start to get pain, and it's not from developing callouses, that your body is warning you to stop doing it that way.

If you clamp hard with your strumming arm against the body of the uke, the neck is supposed to stay in place. I find that is uncomfortable, muffles the soundbox, and confuses my strumming arm. That is, however, the traditional way they do it.

I found the best sound comes when you hold the uke out on your lap/ thigh, away from your body. Try it... it is like night and day sound-wise. Needless to say, I use the Leash...

–Lori

I would like to keep my thumb on the back, but as I play the neck just seems to settle down into the crotch of my thumb all on it's own. Sometimes I catch myself and try and get it right, other times I just relax and let it go. It sort of depends on the piece and whether or not I need the extra freedom of movement.

I use both depending on the chord. I've noticed that Bb and G I put my thumb on the neck. Most other chords the neck rests in the crook between the thumb and forefinger. I used to worry about this, but now I find I've settled into what subconsciously feels natural for any given chord at any given time.

I have also noticed that if I play the uke standing up I place my thumb differently than sitting down.

What does everyone usually do with their fretting thumb?

(and don't tell me to buy a strap :p )
That advice is a load of codswallop. Hold the uke neck between thumb and first finger, most of the time. Other times I use the thumb to hold the neck from behind to give a better grip on the chord. Really depends on the chord, but nothing wrong with it sticking up over he neck.

And yes, a strap is also a useful tool.

Top Bottom