My second Mahalo Les Paul came with a big surprise! (improved electronics?)

kissing

Reaction score
So I was missing my Mahalo Les Paul acoustic electric, after I let it go to an avid musician in Cambodia.
And I ended up ordering a new one from www.melmusic.com.au

It came today, meticulously wrapped in bubble wrap and in that uke-box that looks like a uke coffin.
And it was brand new, wrapped in plastic bag, untouched.

Here it is:
3-3.jpg

For those who have owned a Mahalo Les Paul, it would seem all too familiar.
The Aquila strings, Mahalo tone and volume.
The typical output jack hole (which some of you will know to have been quite weak and flimsy) and the typical watch battery compartment (which some of you will know tends to get stuck)?

I think not!
1-5.jpg

2-3.jpg

My new Mahalo had a whole new output jack and battery unit!
It takes a 9V battery and the output jack is a lot more durable as it is integrated with the plastic casing that contains the battery tray.

And it sounds very good through the amp. I don't have the old model Les Paul to compare it with, but I think it sounds better than the earlier model!
The annoying hiss that was on the older model seems to have been eliminated.

I'm very happy! The Mahalo now seems much less like a toy, but a true instrument.
Has anyone else seen a Mahalo Les Paul (or Telecaster) with the improved electronics?
Would this be a newer model (or an older one?)

Last edited:
NO way! It's amazing the difference the 9v can make in output. I might have to track one of these down.

I'm not sure if the output became louder, but I'm pretty sure that the tone has become more consistent and that annoying hiss seems to be gone.

I remember on the old model, there was a noticeable hiss if the Volume knob was on high.
I can't hear that hiss anymore. And I can have gain turned up high on the amp without problems.

The sustain is still a bit lacking compared to my Risa stick and Eleuke on the same settings. But if I turn the gain up to max on the amp, it becomes somewhat equivalent.
The C string seems a bit overpowering, though this can be adjusted on the tone knob.

Last edited:
I've got a mahalo telecaster with the old electronics, it was my second uke.
I just use it when I feel like playing loud, now that I've got a nicer uke (but doesn't have a pickup).

It's alright for playing around with, but it's nothing special tonewise.

Top Bottom