Can we talk about epoxy sensitivity?

Steve vanPelt

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot about folks having some pretty severe reactions when using epoxy. I've heard both that ' you either have it or you don't ' and ' you can build up sensitivity over time. ' I've used epoxy in one form or another maybe 100 times in my life and have never had a problem. Never knew there was a problem. Never really sanded on it much though either.

Can't say if it's out of fear or wisdom, but I always save epoxying for the end of the day. Put on long pants, long sleeves, shoes, gloves and a mask while sanding. And take a shower right after. I sort of feel like I'm being paranoid, but I'd feel pretty stupid being all puffed up and itchy after having been warned.

So what's your experience...Good? Bad? Didn't know?

thanks, Steve

Never been an issue with me either, and as a panel beater / spray painter for over 30 years I'm exposed to some pretty nasty chemicals on a daily basis. Lucky perhaps.

I've got a good mate who is the first that I've heard of developing a reaction to epoxy and it opened my eyes to what it can do. There is a good thread about it on the Australian / New Zealand Luthiers Forum.

I've got a good mate who is the first that I've heard of developing a reaction to epoxy and it opened my eyes to what it can do. There is a good thread about it on the Australian / New Zealand Luthiers Forum.

Thanks for the link, Allen! Not to complain, but good lord that dude's long winded. Did he think he was writing for a magazine? ;)

I am not allergic to epoxy but due to overuse of a polyurethane floor product at work (it was meant to be used once or twice a year, they were using it twice a week) I am hyperallergic to one particular polyurethane. (I am not allergic to other polyurethanes.)Along with that I developed allergies to contact cement, alder -pollen, dust mites and the list goes on. I was not allergic to anything enough to be aware of it until this hit me at 40 years old. My sinuses swell shut, my eyes get so itchy my vision blurs, I have been known to sneeze over 100 times in an hour (this will make your whole body hurt) and I break out with hives. There is more but unless you experience it you will never really understand. At least I hope you never will. Commonsense precautions are your best bet to avoid this kind of misery, good ventilation etc. Don't take it for granted that a previous lack of problems will protect you. I worked for a professional cleaning out fit for several years in my twenties which used many extremely nasty chemicals without any problem and almost twenty years later floor wax got me.

I've used a lot of epoxy in course of building a couple of kayaks and skiffs. Never had an issue. Always were gloves, never sand it when in the green state (partially cured), and always were a cartridge style dust mask when sanding.

Thanks for the link, Allen! Not to complain, but good lord that dude's long winded. Did he think he was writing for a magazine? ;)
Kim has a real gift for putting words together....to a fault at times. But on other subjects he can have us rolling in the aisles with laughter. Top bloke.

Yeah, Allen, it was Kim's thread that got me thinking about it. Somewhere in another thread he described how he was unable to take his hands out from under the running water for fear they would start itching again. That is an experience I don't want to have. Been up to my elbows in nasty chemicals for years and still remain bulletproof, but apparently that can change in time. Guess for now I'll keep wrapping up for the epoxying and hope for the best.

Top Bottom