PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Advice Required

Timbuck
06-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Two days ago I took a 16LB Salmon out of the Deep Freeze..Mrs Timbuck asked me to cut off 1 or 2 steaks off it for Dinner..It was frozen so hard that the bread knife wouldnt cut it ...So I took it into the workshop and sliced off a few .75" thick steaks on the Bandsaw..it cut through with no bother and I put the remainder back in the freezer...Mrs Timbuck was very pleased..Now! the problem is (How do I get rid of the smell) I've cleaned down the saw inside and out (Twice), and changed the blade..but every time I use it, it gives off this fishy smell.:confused:..and it seems to get worse with the warm weather.
Even the wood I cut seems to pick the same aroma.

SweetWaterBlue
06-09-2010, 02:46 AM
I would try white vinegar first. Most animal smells (like dog and cat urine odors) are produced by proteins. Vinegar breaks down protein, thus its use as a meat tenderizer. I sometimes use it when my dogs have an accident.

This stuff also works wonders on doggy smells, but its way more expensive than vinegar.

http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php

I have never tried vinegar on fish smells, but malt vinegar sure makes my fish and chips taste good. I'd use ordinary white vinegar to clean the saw. It will also take off any rust if you let it soak. I use it all the time to clean up slightly rusty old bicycle parts.

http://askville.amazon.com/fish-smell-kitchen/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5105174

Pete Howlett
06-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Great British humor I think?

SweetWaterBlue
06-09-2010, 03:59 AM
Great British humor I think?

I must say I did find it quite amusing, but I can probably blame that on the BBC programs they love to show on our public broadcasting stations here :)

fahrner
06-09-2010, 04:31 AM
There's something fishy about this post.

6stringconvert
06-09-2010, 04:52 AM
How about liberal spreading of warm Hollandaise, or a parsley butter sauce?

6sc

fahrner
06-09-2010, 05:42 AM
I'd be a little concerned about the vinegar with the tires of the saw. Not sure what it might do.
A better idea might be home made pizza.
You take your pepperoni and cut it up nice and thin on your bandsaw.
Now, instead of smelling like fish it'll smell like an Italian restaurant. Much less offensive than that fishy smell.

tattwo
06-09-2010, 06:18 AM
I would spray a little bleach

erich@muttcrew.net
06-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Ken, you forgot the chips! You take some nice big taters and cut 'em up on the bandsaw, and hand 'em over to Mrs for frying. When you're done you rub the sawblade with the leftovers (skins and such) and you're all set. The potatoes contain something or other that works wonders and will even remove rust from sawblades and other tools - can't remember what it's called.

Enjoy!

ksquine
06-09-2010, 07:32 AM
How did the saw dust taste on the salmon? You might be onto something here.....self smoking salmon

Flyfish57
06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
wash it down with beer...

Timbuck
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
How did the saw dust taste on the salmon? You might be onto something here.....self smoking salmon

All this is completely true..I did slice it on the bandsaw..I had been sawing some Ebony prior to sawing the Salmon....and a black Ebony finish was left on the normally pink slices, this was easily washed off under the tap ( Fawcet)...and the Salmon tasted really good:D..The smell is still there tho':mad:

Doc_J
06-09-2010, 03:18 PM
I imagine you got little bits of salmon all through the band saw/housing. Guess you might have to clean all around where ever the offending pieces might have come to rest.
I agree with SweetWaterBlue, vinegar would be the best cleaner. However, little orange oil might cover up the smell.

itsme
06-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Take the blade out and clean it separately? Metal is not capable of absorbing odor. Then sanitize any surfaces the salmon touched.

fahrner
06-09-2010, 07:29 PM
You might need to replace the rubber tires.
Hmmm.... salmon with a touch of ebony smoke. It could catch on.
On the other hand, mahogany with a hint of salmon essence? Probably not.

Kekani
06-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I think you should locate the source, and clean. Two things will affect that smell - the salmon "scent" itself, or bacteria (which would turn foul). If its bacteria, then a disinfectant to kill the bacteria that causes the smell. In your case, its probably the salmon scent itself. Unfortunately, clean is the only way. How about a shot (more like a full dosing) of oven cleaner - at least your blade will thank you for it.

Also, what about your guide area? Even though metal may not absorb odor, the seals in bearing (etc) may.

Let us know what works in case we decide to do the same. . .

Aaron

Timbuck
06-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Got it!... I found a big blob of black sawdust and Salmon Goo wedged beneath the table in between the guide bearings...I removed that and gave the area a spray with WD40..And now it's not bad at all...I'm going to saw some bone this week for some nuts and saddles..so I'll have another smell to contend with.:D:D

urcuzzn
06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
hahahahahahaha

Ken W
06-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Glad that you finally found the source of the odor. Based on your experience, I have vowed to only cut frozen fish with my chainsaw. This post alone has been worth the price of admission to the forum.