Where should I take Ukulele lessons on the Big Island... (Kailua-Kona Vacation)

cheepguy

Reaction score
Last week I received my Kala KA-ST from MGM. Super fast shipping and great sound, thanks MGM.

So I'm heading to Kailua-Kona next week for a well deserved vacation:cool:, ok its only one week but I've got to make it count. Been 2 1/2 years since my last vacation.

Anyway, my guitar in a band playing friend said "why don't you take your uke with you and take a couple lesions while your there, that's where it all started, right?"

I'll have the wife and my son and daughter so can't go to far or long with the car, unless I can find something for them to do.

So anyone have someone they would recommend?
I'd like to learn some of those "ukulele Hawaiian riffs" I heard MGM playing on his youtube videos.

Thanks
Steve

I would also like to know who is a good ukulele teacher contact on the big island for when I move there

Kailua-Kona? Hmm... For Hawai'i we don't have as much in the ways of lessons as you'd think. It seems most of the knowledge is passed down from the uncles.

Just Ukes at the Kona Inn is doing lessons with Poncho Man (check our local Craigslist for times). Hmm... There's not much. I'm sure there are plenty of private teachers, but I'm not down that side so I haven't been asking about them. I'd be willing to teach if you are going to be up to Waimea or Honoka'a. If you are at the super beginner stage Jack Knight's Mele 'Ohana kani ka pila at the Keauhou shopping center Wednesday nights would be a good bet, but it's not lessons. If I think of anything I'll post it.

PonchoMan plays Wednesday and Thursday nights at Rosa's Cantina. I know he also gives lessons. Drop buy Just Ukes there in Kona to get more info.

Kailua-Kona? ....If you are at the super beginner stage Jack Knight's Mele 'Ohana kani ka pila at the Keauhou shopping center Wednesday nights would be a good bet, but it's not lessons...

I recently joined the MeleOhana group on Yahoo (you can join too it is free, just go to the group site page). Their home page states that they welcome ALL uke players even beginners.

But most of all........ENJOY beautiful Hawaii and have a safe and restfull vacation!!!

PS....they have a web site www.meleohana.org

Last edited:
I recently joined the MeleOhana group on Yahoo (you can join too it is free, just go to the group site page). Their home page states that they welcome ALL uke players even beginners.

But most of all........ENJOY beautiful Hawaii and have a safe and restfull vacation!!!

PS....they have a web site www.meleohana.org

Yes, yes. All are welcome, but it's mostly just strumming practice and playing with a group experience. It's great fun both ways, but a beginner would learn most from it. It's nice to be able to cruise and just play fun songs too if you are more advanced too.

I took some lessons at the condo we stayed at last March. Fellow's name was Kaleo. You can try his e-mail - kaleo1@aol.com.

Also as stated by Hippie Guy, Just Ukes in Kailua Kona does lessons.

DRice
Will do, looking forward to seeing Just Ukes. AND mabe enjoying a couple at Rosa's Cantina!
Steve

I'm going to try to make it.
Steve

Yes, yes. All are welcome, but it's mostly just strumming practice and playing with a group experience. It's great fun both ways, but a beginner would learn most from it. It's nice to be able to cruise and just play fun songs too if you are more advanced too.

I was going to be a smart guy and say if you have ukulele lesions you're holding it too tightly... but then I thought better of it. ;)

I was going to be a smart guy and say if you have ukulele lesions you're holding it too tightly... but then I thought better of it. ;)

Good call.

From Konaweb:

Kumu Rolinda Bean is teaching a beginner's ukulele class on the seaside terrace at Keauhou Outrigger Resort from 1:00-2:00PM on Tuesdays and
Thursdays. Rolinda has several class 'ukulele so just come and try one out or bring your own...

...There's a weekly intermediate 'ukulele kanikapila at the Kona International Marketplace (Old Industrial Area by HPM) in Kailua-Kona
from 10-11am on Fridays. At 11am there are free, ongoing, beginning uke lessons taught by Willie Perriera till noon. Bring your own 'ukulele,
a notebook and recorder, if possible. Basic chords and strums are taught to beginners. Handouts are provided. For more advanced students, scales,
higher octave chords, and basic picking techniques are taught. Students are encouraged to join the 10am kanikapila.

Hmm... I just can't think of much.

I was just listening to PonchoMan at Rosa's Cantina in Kona. A great way to end my week in Kona. The guy is great and a fantastic entertainer. Wish I'd found the time to take lessons with him.

Went over to Hilo Guitars & Ukuleles and checked out all the ukuleles I can't afford (yet!).

Wife is happy I ran out of money for spending before I went to Hilo. (I don't dip into the credit cards)
I took a couple free lessons, they were great.
Went to all the Ukulele stores in Kona, and spent money.
Thanks for all your help.
Steve
(I fly out tomorrow night, bummer):mad:

Top Bottom