PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got My Ukulele

Babycham
06-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Like two days ago. And I learned how to tune it. Then I learned the C cord, and THEN I realised that it didn't sound like a C at all and that I was actually holding the Ukulele upside down and had tuned the strings backwards (Doh!). So I corrected all that and I'm ready to go.

So today I'm learning the F and G7 cords so I can play Twinkle Twinkle, but I'm having some trouble with them. I'm finding that my fingers holding down the strings are getting in the way of the other strings and stopping them vibrating.

So I'm guessing that I just have to learn to hold the strings down with the very tip of my fingers so the chubby bit of my finger (haha!) doesn't get all up in the C strings face. But what I wanna know is did other newbies have this trouble at first? Is using the very tip of your finger the right thing to do?

Basially I just want to know I haven't done another epic fail like the infamous upside down, backwards tuned Ukulele debacle!

Thanks

hoosierhiver
06-10-2010, 04:31 AM
At first it's natural to have to pay attention to your finger placement to get a good sound when fretting, as you get better and your fingers and brain get used to where they are supposed to go and you won't even think about it.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
06-10-2010, 06:02 AM
You are well on the learning curve and will be making mucho progress as you keep at it.

Don't think of it as 'practice'. Instead, you're just 'playing' your uke.

Sure your fingertips will feel sensitive and hurt a bit, and muscle memory and finger dexterity
will take a little while, but check yourself out in a couple of weeks and WOW!

Celebrate your progress by keeping at it and in no time (to speak of) you'll be strumming along
with your fellow ukulele players.

Welcome to the UU Family!

Keep uke'in',

And please enjoy the freebies via the links under my signature.

cletus
06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
You are SO much a better player than you realize! Keep playing and having fun. Ain't it grand?

hawaiianmusiclover06
06-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Welcome to UU! and congrats on your new uke! any pics? Keep on playing.

Coconut Willie
06-10-2010, 06:22 AM
You are well on the learning curve and will be making mucho progress as you keep at it.

Don't think of it as 'practice'. Instead, you're just 'playing' your uke.

Sure your fingertips will feel sensitive and hurt a bit, and muscle memory and finger dexterity
will take a little while, but check yourself out in a couple of weeks and WOW!

Celebrate your progress by keeping at it and in no time (to speak of) you'll be strumming along
with your fellow ukulele players.

Welcome to the UU Family!

Keep uke'in',

And please enjoy the freebies via the links under my signature.

Uncle Rod is right!!! At this point, don't look at it as practise, but look at it as playing your uke!! BTW, there will many times when your playing ability will plateau a bit. Don't let that stop you, just keep playing and having fun!!

Babycham
06-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks eveyone

Heh yeah I do actually have pictures of my Uke:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/701818/RabbitUkulele01.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/701818/RabbitUkulele02.jpg

I thought to myself "I can't take a picture JUST of the Ukulele, that'd be weird" so I decided to get Madeline in shot too, to make it doubly weird.

cletus
06-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Silly wabbit.

Nice green uke!

Babycham
06-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Okay, so thanks guys. Some days on I am now playing three cords finger-fudge-free and doing an AWFUL but improving version of Twinkle Twinkle