Need Help Identifying This Exquisite Pineapple Uke!

freshthreat

Reaction score
I bought this lovely mahogany pineapple uke from a fella who said (on a reliable basis) it was from a popular company's NAMM show booth. He had bought all of they're ukes that were there on display. The only clue he gave me was that it was a Japanese company...anyone have any idea?! The craftsmanship is outta this world! :confused:

mahogonnyuke001.jpg

mahogonnyuke002.jpg

mahogonnyuke004.jpg

Whoa that looks a lot like it! It cost less than two hundred dollars...I bought it just over a year ago.

Kinda looks like an Ohana from the rosette, headstock, and finish.. Why is it not labled? Was it an internal prototype or something?

Last edited:
Kinda looks like an Ohana from the rosette, headstock, and finish.. Why is it not labled? Was it an internal prototype or something?

I can only guess...I think he was under an oath of silence to whom ever sold him these. It could be though, hence the no label and such. He had another one that was a gorgeous koa saprano...it was significantly more expensive though. But that one had a paper label inside that was torn out.

Ken Middleton and Hoosierhiver could both offer more authoritative opinions on whether it's a Bushman or an Ohana. You could try messaging one of them.

Ken Middleton and Hoosierhiver could both offer more authoritative opinions on whether it's a Bushman or an Ohana. You could try messaging one of them.

From what I have heard Bushman, Ohana. Vinyard ( and even Mainland) get their ukes form the same factory... so it could be any of those...

Last edited:
From what I have heard Bushman, Ohana. Vinyard ( and even Mainland) get their ukes form the same factory... so it could be any of those...

Good point cause I've been looking at the Ohana's and Bushman's and see similar qualities in both. Although the Bushman Pineapple is VERY similar from what I can see. Thanks for the help y'all!

From the shape of the end of the fretboard, it is just like the Bushman. Not sure how many here have Ohanas, but they have some really nice solid Mahogany ukes for under $200. I think I paid only $160 for my SK-35, and for a factory made instrument, it is a very well made, good materials, and great sounding Uke. That, and the finsih and rosette on your pineapple is what made me think it might be Ohana. But, if the other's come off the same lines, that could also be very well why it resembles any and all those. At any rate, any of those are really nice quality mass produced Ukes, and well worth owning. I love my SK.

Here is an Ohana Pineapple with that same looking fretboard. The headstock is different, but Ohana also uses headstocks like your pineapple, because that is the same as the SK. So, this may be sort of a basturd child prototype they were playing with. If that the case, it could very well have components of other models.
PK25G_front.jpg

Picture borrowed from Elderly's website.... So, plug out to Elderly my source of Ukes, and parts..

Last edited:
Here is an Ohana Pineapple with that same looking fretboard. The headstock is different, but Ohana also uses headstocks like your pineapple, because that is the same as the SK. So, this may be sort of a basturd child prototype they were playing with. If that the case, it could very well have components of other models.
PK25G_front.jpg

Picture borrowed from Elderly's website.... So, plug out to Elderly my source of Ukes, and parts..

I was looking at that one and some of the other Ohana's...but what led me to think it's a Bushman is both the tuner placement and headstock shape (exactly the same) and the binding transition from headstock to fingerboard...there's no denying that these guys are all made in the same place though. And to be honest I payed $110.00 for it. I loves it no matter what it might be! Now I just need a case for it!

Thats an awesome deal, with or without badges.. They make a pretty good Uke, and I am with you in thinking more a Bushman for the reasons you said. They are pretty much the same thing as mentioned before, and that being the case, it is a well made uke, especially for the money. You did good.. And, it being a prototype of some sort, makes it Unique..

I recomend these cases. They are very affordable, and very durable. I think even more than a standard hard case. They are heavily padded, felt lined, plastic shell, balistic type vinyl covered. Very light, and can take a beating and never effect the payload. I have two or three of these cases. Not sure if they have one specifically shaped for the pineapple, but they might. If not, it shouldnt be too difficult to modify the foam inside yourself for the pineapple.
http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-UC-S-...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1276208753&sr=8-1

51Jrmo1ELgL._SS500_.jpg

Last edited:
Not the same type of case, but looks pretty decent too, and for the pineapple.
http://www.amazon.com/inch-Soprano-...1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1276209026&sr=1-1-fkmr2

4196P93Z8ML._SS500_.jpg

Still prefer the zipper type, because it is also plastic, but has the added vinyl covering, AND, I just like the zipper better than the latches. I can not count over the years how many times I had a guitar dump on the floor from latch failures, or latch getting broken from being knocked around. The vinyl covered ones, don't because of the zipper, AND a velcro secondary closure/ zipper protection, AND the added security of the velcro "seat belt" for the uke inside. So, if it did open due to forgetting to zip it up, the Uke wouldn't fall out. Just a very well designed case IMHO.

Last edited:
On another note. I assume you have other solid wood ukes. You seem to have a collection yourself. But, just in case not, here is a tip. I make my own humidifiers for pennies. I take the little plastic cans 35mm film comes in. If you have a 35mm camera, or know someone that does, you/them probably have them laying around in your camera case, or even thrown out a bunch. If not, any film processing place would probably give you as many as you wanted (they throw them out in droves). Take an ice pick, or other sharp object, and puncture 5 or 6 holes in the lid of it (kinda like a salt shaker). Pack the plastic can with cotton balls tightly (5 or 6 cotton balls) fill the can with water enough to soak the cotton, but not so much as it pours out. Soak em, turn it upside down to pour out any excess water. Put the cap (with the holes you punched) back on, and toss it in your Uke case.. Refill with water as needed to keep the cotton moist. The same type simple humidor like this sells for $10 and up retail. You can make them just as nice as the retail ones like mentioned for nothing, or whatever a few cotton balls cost you.

Another secret I posted in another thread. Sometimes, depending on climate, the humidor could harbor mold. You can tell if the cotton starts to get gray spots in it. To combat that, if you add a couple drops of Eucalyttus oil to the cotton. It keeps the mold at bay, AND makes your Uke smell nice...

Last edited:
On another note. I assume you have other solid wood ukes. You seem to have a collection yourself. But, just in case not, here is a tip. I make my own humidifiers for pennies. I take the little plastic cans 35mm film comes in. If you have a 35mm camera, or know someone that does, you/them probably have them laying around in your camera case, or even thrown out a bunch. If not, any film processing place would probably give you as many as you wanted (they throw them out in droves). Take an ice pick, or other sharp object, and puncture 5 or 6 holes in the lid of it (kinda like a salt shaker). Pack the plastic can with cotton balls tightly (5 or 6 cotton balls) fill the can with water enough to soak the cotton, but not so much as it pours out. Soak em, turn it upside down to pour out any excess water. Put the cap (with the holes you punched) back on, and toss it in your Uke case.. Refill with water as needed to keep the cotton moist. The same type simple humidor like this sells for $10 and up retail. You can make them just as nice as the retail ones like mentioned for nothing, or whatever a few cotton balls cost you.

Another secret I posted in another thread. Sometimes, depending on climate, the humidor could harbor mold. You can tell if the cotton starts to get gray spots in it. To combat that, if you add a couple drops of Eucalyttus oil to the cotton. It keeps the mold at bay, AND makes your Uke smell nice...

Hey great tips on the humidifying! I have a half dozen Herco humidifyers goin on right now (especially the $20 Kamaka;)...(and especially in the Tucson desert) that's part of why I need a case for this bad boy. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on that molded one...it has a palm tree on it!!!

If ya do, let us know your opinion of it. I just saw it at Amazon, and thought it might meet the immediate need. I also liked the palm detail. It also looks like it might have a velcro strap to secure the uke in it.. Not a bad price either.. Its about half the cost of some I seen of similer tyoe..

BTW: take in consideration that the palm tree one required shipping charge too. Allot of stuff on Amazon has free shipping option, but I just noticed that one doesnt. The other one is a little cheaper, and also has free shipping. But then again, you might have to modify the padding some for the pineapple. Just food for thought..

I was just informed that there might be a tweed style case for it right down the road from here...but if not I'm prolly going with the cheaper one off amazon...break out those modding skills!!!

Top Bottom