PDA

View Full Version : Crowning

AC Baltimore
06-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I was wondering if you guys know where I can find a cheap crowning file or have any tips for a DIY. I really can't afford the stewmac offerings.

Michael N.
06-11-2010, 04:50 AM
2 options. Use a needle file. mask the board and using a permanent marker pen to highlight the flat on the frets. It's a little harder to do than a dedicated crowning file but it's certainly possible.
The other option is to buy a replacement burr (of the correct size) such as is sold for the Gurian. You don't need the cranked handle. Just set the burr in a thin block of wood with epoxy. I actually think that this is easier to use than the dedicated handle.

Timbuck
06-11-2010, 05:57 AM
If the fret board is flat and the frets are pressed in on a flat surface. levelling and crowning is a doddle co's there's not much metal to remove..I use a simple device to do my crowning needs
Made from a strip of plastic, with a groove in the edge and I just wrap a piece of abrasive paper around and use it like a crowning file...The real diamond crowning files get worn down after a bit of use and end up just polishing..Any way this is what I use...It works for me :cool:
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/PICT7265.jpg

AC Baltimore
06-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanx for the replies guys, I think I am going to try to have a got at the DIY on a shoddy neck and see how that goes.