So my daughter Facebooked that she wanted a uke...

oldrookie

Reaction score
and her friend replied, "I"ve got one for you!" Fortunately didn't get our hopes up.

Novelty uke. 1/2 a coconut shell with a frame around it, hand made neck. Friction tuners that don't.

Still...has me wondering if a neck could be made to allow this to be played.

Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Buy her a cheapo Makala dolphin from MGM and sidestep invasive surgery, I mean, carpentry?

Actually, I did get her a Dolphin. Bright yellow. She loves it.

But this looks like another wacky misadventure waiting to happen.

WOO HOO! Go for it!

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with wacky misadventures!

Ooh.. good name for a band! "The Wacky Misadventures"!

If you do decide to do it, do a log, so we can all share in the insanity!

If memory serves me ( as I get older it sometimes doesn't!) Mike at Mainland sells nice necks, or you could just get a Grizzly kit for about $25 and just use the neck & tuners.

I think Wacky Misadventures is the album...................

Will log it, if I do it. Always wanted to learn how to use a spokeshave.

Built a 21' sailing kayak with what my neighbor described as, "A screwdriver and a rake," so this seems less life threatening!

Wacky Misadventures Rock! (It does sound like a band name.)

DSCF9614.jpg

DSCF9612.jpg

With my other uke, Stagg electric

DSCF9613.jpg

Have to get the bass finished (literally) before tackling this project
DSCF9618.jpg

Last edited:
What's the worst thing that could happen? You'd make it LESS playable?

Okay, so wandering through a flea market and spotted a pink First Act child-sized guitar. All the tuners were there and the neck joint pulled out from the body. Bought it for $2.00.

The wacky misadventure theme takes on new life and woobles off the starting line. Heh, heh, heh!

Oh, I think when it is done you will think, "Well, there some time I'll never get back." :)

Any way, thought you might like some pix of the donor

DSCF9639.jpg

DSCF9643.jpg

DSCF9644.jpg

My friend's 6 year old brother has a black version of that, I couldn't tell you about quality, it's always out of tune when I want to jam on it. Haha, I'm sure it'll be entertaining to say the least.

Im confused. Are you using the body to make a Uke out of it? Or you planning to rebuilt and/or upgrade it into a small guitar? Those things are kinda junk, BUT that said, a ton of fun for a kid, and it is what it is and ya can't fault them for that. They spark creative, and musical interest in kids. I bought one of those "First Act" ukuleles for my daughter (but I think they called it a guitar). It only had 4 strings, and was tiny. I bought that for her when she was about 2 years old, and she banged on that thing for years, and loved it. She would stand on the coffee table in concert many nights entertaining us. We would sit and watch her for hours instead of TV, she was a hoot. She eventually outgrew that thing at around 8 or so years old, when we bought her a small student accustic guitar which she banged on for a couple more years. She is now 13, and I gave her my Alvarez accustic, and then bought her her own Strat. She does pretty good, and also plays my Ukes too. All started with one of those crappy, fret buzzing First Acts... <grin>

Good luck, I am following this project..

No, my plan is far more ridiculous than that. I' going to try and marry the two instruments together. The pink neck onto the half-pineapple shell uke. I'll have to figure out what tuning I want to accomplish, but the easiest will likely be as a baritone since I wouldn't have to adjust fret spacing to accomplish the job.

The theme is wacky adventure-- but it could also be "messing about with toy instruments."

Though the body would make a decent uke. A few scratches, but otherwise sound.

Top Bottom