de Vékey ukulele

Parlor Picker

Reaction score
I have just bought a de Vékey ukulele and done some work on it. I had never heard of the brand before, but some internet research indicates they were made by a Hungarian emigré who ran a music shop in Boscombe, near Bournemouth on the south coast of England.

They came in four styles (see: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/dennis.taylor/Page_025_de_vekey_ukulele.htm). Based on that picture, I think mine is a Style 2. The label reads "In four styles 1, 2, 3 and 4" and appears to have been rubber stamped with a (rather blurred) no. 2. An extra label over the instrument label reads "Keith Prowse & Co. Ltd. Branches all over London". I have seen all four models described as "tenor" ukuleles, although this one seems to fall somewhere between concert and tenor. It has 16 frets, with the body join at around 9.75.

The top is fine-grained spruce (presumably European) and the back and sides are stained maple. I guess the neck might be maple as well. The friction tuners have rather nice ebony buttons and the fingerboard also appears to be ebony.

I have taken off the original strings, cleaned the instrument, polished it, oiled the fretboard, dressed the fret ends and strung it up with a set of Aquilas which are just starting to settle in. I also replaced the motley selection of bridge pins with a matching set, but have kept the "originals".

The action is a little high, but the metal saddle has no room for adjustment, so improvement would involve removing the bridge and making it thinner, or even replacing the bridge altogether - a job for my luthier friend which would take some time. It has quite a rich tone, which may improve slightly when I play the ukulele a little, as I suspect it has lain neglected for many years. Speaking of years, they were apparently made around 1928. Again according to the internet, Styles 3 and 4 are worth in the region of £500, but I suspect this one is only worth half that amount or less.

Unlike other forums, I can't just insert images here, so will have to go off and see about hosting some elsewhere and inserting a link. Watch this space!
parlorpicker

Edit: Tried to put link to photos on Flickr, but it doesn't work. Pity you can't just insert photos like on other forums. How do I add pictures??

Last edited:
After accessing the "Quick Reply", click on the "Go Advanced" button located in the lower right hand corner. That will take you to the "Reply to Thread" page and you'll be able to manage your responses including adding attachments, smilies and so on.

Thanks for the help!

Pictures (hopefully) now attached.

Attachments

• DSC02441..jpg
    DSC02441..jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02438..jpg
    DSC02438..jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC02440..jpg
    DSC02440..jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC02442..jpg
    DSC02442..jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 36
Having decided the de Vékey does not do anything I can't achieve with my Pono, I am going to sell it. Most likely my friend (brandcook on this forum) is going to buy it. He can have it for the price I paid for it, as I have no desire to make a profit from friends. It's a fine sounding instrument and I will be glad if it goes to a good home.

Top Bottom