So, which longnecks are concert neck length?

Sambient

Reaction score
I happened to already be thinking this, but see that my preference is shared in cassarole45's Ohana thread: wanting a good soprano with a concert neck.
Any recommendations?

The Kala Spalted Maple/ Sitka Spruce top - Long Neck Soprano has a concert neck scale. I like it a lot. It sounds different than the other ukes, and handles the low G tuning well (if you ever want to try it). I like the size, and will probably go for a high-end long neck soprano someday. I will probably look at KoAloha and Kanile'a for that... must choose in person though!
–Lori

yup, I know of
KoAloha Super Soprono (Koa) (own one of these, fair bit of money)
Kanile'a Super Soprano (Koa) (loads of money)
Kala Super Soprano (all mahogany) (not to much money)

The other option is finding a well recommeded luthier, but that may come at a fair cost. I'm guessing you have lots of luthiers over the water for Uke's, in the UK though I don't know of any uke luthiers myself. Plus the Hawaiian brands seem to favour Koa as a body wood, which is great if thats what you want but if you want something like Mahogany might be more tricky.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a longneck soprano, and in the "nice ukulele" range, Koaloha and Mya Moe seem to be the two contenders. That being said, it seems that Mya Moe have only ever made 2 longnecks. But with the tradition model, it's not THAT much more expensive than a Koaloha. Casarole has been threatening a review of his Koaloha for ages... ;)

Casarole, I recently found about 2 luthiers here, one in Wales methinks and the other English. They're on the list in the luthiers thread/forum thingy. Also, I'll be in Tiverton the end of July, and may have some free time, so if you're up to a visit, I might try to head down your way. Must remember my passport. As a Devonian used to say on local BBC radio, "I've only ever been to 2 foreign countries. Wales and Cornwall."

Hehe yup, must get round to that, but I'm on a course for work for the next couple of months (which I should be doing now =D ) so any recording and such has kinda halted for a while. I'm using it as my travel uke, which is a bit crazy as it's awesomely expensive compared to my other ukes, but nice to carry... and play =D (I got hit by an extra £108 tax and handling fee's =( which I have to admit has made me think about keeping purchases inland, those taxing swines).

Yeah I just caught those two on the luthiers thread, I fired off an email, about 5 mins ago too the one in Bude as he's only about an hour away from me.

Tiverton, yeah nip on through if you've got time... I think thats where the Purple Turtle is, they actually have a Kala Mahogany soprano with concert neck which I almost went for.

Don't worry about a passport for us in Cornwall, just selotape on a sixth fingure and you'll be excepted in no questions asked =D (cornish joke for those further a far)

Edit: My mistake, Purple Turtle is no where near Tiverton, I have no idea why I thought that.

Last edited:
Good afternoon everyone, Brueko make a nice longneck in any wood that you fancy ? Neck is nice (not too narrow) My Brueko is made out of Maple, and it has character (snappy - banjoey) . It has an arched back and there is no book matching. The purchase price is not too expensive. I also own a Koaloha longneck, and a flea with a concert neck and a rosewood fretboard. The flea sounds the warmest and is loud, neck is the best. The Koaloha is amazing in its own right. Neck is fine! Lightest instrument of the three! Soundwise less warm and less banjoey, soprano-ish (whatever that means), but unmistakenly plenty presence against an accoustic guitar ! FWIW.

G-String makes (or made...there's a thread somewhere on UU about how they might be out of business) a longneck soprano with a concert scale. I love mine but it does have some intonation problems (which I've read is not uncommon). Here's a video I did with it:

Aloha Sambient,
To answer your question, soprano's and concert's can come with long necks or called super soprano(with a concert neck) or super concert(with a tenor neck). correct me if I'm wrong guys.....And for recommendations, it's personal preference. Go in a shop and try them out to see what pleases you. Ukulele's are as individual as humans even within the same brands and models they may sound different....If you ask me which ukulele is the best, I would reply....the one you would like to play all the time. However it never hurts to get a short list and opinions from all of us here, It helps very much!! that's what Ukulele Underground is all
about.....Anyways I hope this helps you out, "Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan...
P.S. Almost forgot, the super tenor(tenor with a baritone neck) I've heard of them, but never seen one, anyone have any pics of one????

Last edited:
Aloha Sambient,
To answer your question, soprano's and concert's can come with long necks or called super soprano(with a concert neck) or super concert(with a tenor neck). correct me if I'm wrong guys.....And for recommendations, it's personal preference. Go in a shop and try them out to see what pleases you. Ukulele's are as individual as humans even within the same brands and models they may sound different....If you ask me which ukulele is the best, I would reply....the one you would like to play all the time. However it never hurts to get a short list and opinions from all of us here, It helps very much!! that's what Ukulele Underground is all
about.....Anyways I hope this helps you out, "Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan...
P.S. Almost forgot, the super tenor(tenor with a baritone neck) I've heard of them, but never seen one, anyone have any pics of one????

I think she was just asking for a list of people who do super soprano's that were not duff brands, so she could have an idea where to start looking.

All the best, J

On the Luthier recommendation I did ask a few near me how much it would cost to have a solid Mahogany Super Suprano made and it was coming out around the £1000 ($ 1,462) so its probably not a cost viable option to go the luthier route, positive side it made me feel like my Koaloha was a bargain =D

Last edited:
Hi, I have been interested in a longneck soprano as well. I've heard great things about Kelii mahogany ones (but they are rare) and the laminated Kiwayas in both koa and mahogany. I am not buying another uke unless I can touch it and play it myself and I haven't been anywhere where I could follow up on these. There was just a Kiwaya KSL1 that came available but the tuners had been changed for geared and I don't want a long neck with the extra weight up there. The concert Flea sounds appealing but I want to try one because it is 15.5 inch scale and I am struggling with some stretches on my concert uke that is 15.25 inch scale. Kiwayas I am told are 15 inch scale. Some longneck sopranos are under 15 inches, fyi. And some long necks aren't concert scale at all, they are soprano scale but with the join to the body at a fret beyond the 12th. So be sure you are getting what you want.

At any rate, I believe you can find some video comparisons of the KSL1 and KSL2 online.

I LOVE my R&L Koa super-soprano pineapple, sounds as pretty as she looks. Very affordable for a Hawai'i made 'ukulele (relatively speaking).
P1010167.jpg

Is that gorgeous!

I know it's already been said today, but good to see you on the boards again Ahnko Honu.

Aloha Uncle Honu,
That's an aweome looking ukulele, you've got there...Randy makes some awesome one of a kinds and they
sound awesome. What type of strings you've got on it? Sum really curly killa stuff!!! I haven't seen them
for a while, some time ago they came over my place withsome ukes for sale. I think they have a couple
of websites if I'm not mistaken. "Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan..
Ho'o lono ana i Ke Kani hone hone a Ka Ukulele-pause to listen to the sweet sound of the ukulele...

Also, Aloha Cassarole45,
Apoligies on the mix up, I was just reading Sambient post heading.....should have continue reading
more closely ahead. thanks for the correction....

Aloha Stan, Yes Randy's stock on Koa is amazing to say the least, love visiting his shop in Hawai'i Kai. His 'ukuleles are amazing sounding too. He uses only Koa that is at least 10 years dried with most of his stock being closer to 20 years. This allows him to mill down very thin without fear of instability and the thin sound boards really make his 'ukuleles sing. I still have the Hilo strings it came with but have had no desire to change them since they really sound pretty nice. I do have a set of Worth BMs for it though. Randy has a website but his wife Lenda's Ailani 'Ukulele website has been down for months. Her 'ukuleles were the R&L with extra bling including laser engraving. I prefer the simpler plain jane models Randy prefers to make. I like his Spanish heal neck attachment method as well as his use of 100% Koa throughout (including neck & fretboard). PS. Seems like Randy's http://www.ukuleleshawaii.biz websites is also down. I saw him and Lenda at the UGH Show a few months back so I'm guessing they are just cutting costs where they can.

Aloha Ahnko Honu,
I just found out Randy and Lenda moved to Lilliha, Kunawai Lane, but they still are using their same
telephone number. I just thought that you may wanted to know...If you need their number let me know.
Malama Pono and A Hui Ho!!! Keep them strings vibrating....Uke On!!! MM Stan....

Well, I went inexpensive because, well, that's all I could do. And even that I really shouldn't, but I saw a price I liked.
I'm trying the aNueNue Papa 1 Longneck Soprano.
Now I've gotta take some pictures of some things to put on the marketplace to justify this.

Well, I went inexpensive because, well, that's all I could do. And even that I really shouldn't, but I saw a price I liked.
I'm trying the aNueNue Papa 1 Longneck Soprano.
Now I've gotta take some pictures of some things to put on the marketplace to justify this.

ooo, not heard of that, looking foward to seeing it.

Edit: had a quick look on the site, yep I think I have seem them before, really cool designs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom