Just got a Blue Snowball, what next?

tnobes

Reaction score
Here is my situation:
I have a Macbook Pro and have just used Garageband with the built in mic to mess around with recording. However, I want to get a little more serious about it, so I purchased a Blue Snowball. So, here is my question: What other tools are great to have for a beginner studio? I'm not interested in anything too fancy, I'll probably just end up messing around as usual (I make some CDs for friends and family).

Thanks for any help,
tnobes

Maybe a good mic stand with a boom, so you can better position the Snowball where you want it?

Or how about a pop filter?

JJ

I'm with JJ -

Decent mic stand and a long USB cable. Other than that, it's a fine set-up. I'd eventually like something like this to isolate noise:

But that's pretty fancy. You can make soemthing like that very inexpensivly. Not required, but handy.

I'm with JJ -

Decent mic stand and a long USB cable. Other than that, it's a fine set-up. I'd eventually like something like this to isolate noise:

But that's pretty fancy. You can make soemthing like that very inexpensivly. Not required, but handy.

Now, with all the AMAZING craftsmen we have around here, surely SOMEONE can come up with something more attractive than that! *grin*

(A 3 or 6 folding panel thing that folds up neatly if necessary, maybe? Hm... I like the idea of one of those. I might talk to my sound guys about a good way to set one up.)

Get on it, all you fantastic wood magicians! LOL

Alright just picked up a long USB cable and am saving up for a good pair of headphones and mic stand.
Thanks all!

A great sound engineer once showed me what he considered the best pop filter. Almost guaranteed you have everything you need to make it.

Position the point of a sharpened pencil in front of the microphone. (Pencil taped to the face of the mic for example.) The point deflects the air coming directly at the mic, while letting the most amount of sound continue on its merry way. I doubted him all the way, but, aside from anecdotal evidence about learning it from first class rock and roll roadies, I saw/heard it in action.

So add a pencil and some scotch tape to the gear list.

A great sound engineer once showed me what he considered the best pop filter. Almost guaranteed you have everything you need to make it.

Position the point of a sharpened pencil in front of the microphone. (Pencil taped to the face of the mic for example.) The point deflects the air coming directly at the mic, while letting the most amount of sound continue on its merry way. I doubted him all the way, but, aside from anecdotal evidence about learning it from first class rock and roll roadies, I saw/heard it in action.

So add a pencil and some scotch tape to the gear list.

Wow! who would have thought?

Top Bottom