Grizzly Uke kit build...please be kind!

Mission Guitars

Reaction score
Ok, so it's more of a "paint and glue together" :lol:

Anyway, I was on Grizzly's site looking for router bits when, for some reason, their uke kit pops up as a "things you might like" link. Well, having been to Hawaii a number of times, and having a couple of beers in me, I was now the proud owner of a $20 uke kit...

For a complete documentary of the build, see my link here: http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=37010&highlight=

When all was said and done, this is what I was left with:

June2010JeepSiennaUkepics016.jpg

June2010JeepSiennaUkepics019.jpg

June2010JeepSiennaUkepics022.jpg

June2010JeepSiennaUkepics025.jpg

Yep, there are a couple sand-throughs I need to fix, but all in all I'm ok with it. Needs another layer of Tru-oil on the bridge as well, also a set of real strings, a good set-up, and I suspect new tuners...these peg-ones are a touch on the cheap side...

I will say I am very happy with the look of dark grain filler on mahogany with the orange stain over it, seems to approximate the "faux-koa"-look I was striving for...

Comments & criticisms are welcomed, hope to be a long-standing contributor to the forum!

- Anthony

Aloha Anthony,
Beautiful gloss finish, nice stain job too!!Did you buff the finish to get that mirror finish?? what brand of clear coat finish did you use???
Nice job, something to be real proud of. You're sorta of a good craftman, do you think of continueing in this venue???Anyways enjoy
the fruits of your labor. Thanks for sharing with all of us. "Keep them strings Vibratong" Uke On!!!!

That's the prettiest $20 uke I've ever seen. Beautiful work.

It actually sounds pretty vibrant, all considering...I used Behlen's Nitrocellulose Clear Gloss lacquer (also available at Grizzly) in a spray can and built up the coat over a couple days of spraying...about 12 coats total. After a month of cure time, I then wetsanded with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and then 2000 grit sandpaper, then used 3M rubbing compound, machine polish, then Maguier's Scratch X to buff it out...

Beautiful job on the finish. Nice work all around.
How do you feel about the neck joint? Is it just glued (no biscuits or dowels)? Will it hold up?
It's pretty amazing what you did with a twenty dollar kit. Good job!

Aloha Anthony,
Mahalo's for response, Whew..twelve coats clear and all the way to 2000 wet sanding...then compound, polish, and buff. I knew from the mirror
finish that it was a lenghty process to get that results, well well worth it for sure. You've got alot of skills and patience, will this prompt a regular
gig or on the side hobbist. I appriciate all the info and process that you shared with us. Jus can't wait for you new project with better materials.
Until next time, take care Tony....."Keep um strings vibrating" Uke On!!!!

Yep, just Tightbond holding that neck on...as long as I only use nylon strings, I think I'm fine, the tension doesn't seem to be overly-staggering, so we'll see how it behaves in the coming (hopefully!) years...

As for all the laquer, about half of it got sanded off when wet-sanding it...unfortunately there are a couple spots where the grain shows still :( but mahogany is usually kind of hard to grainfill...

I'd love to make them on a regular basis, but the full-time job, wife, 3 kids kind of get in the way... :) I also make electric guitars for fun on the side, as well as sell parts to supplement the income, so it might be a while until I make another...I will say the Grizzly kit isn't bad as a platform, but next time I'll only use the body, neck & bridge, then drop another $50 or so on a nice fretboard, tuners, & nut...

Mahalo everyone for the kind words! :)

I have seen some reviews of the Grizzly kit that were less than overwhelming. I didn't realize until reading your post and checking into it more that the Grizzly is only a $22 (+shipping) kit. You did such a beautiful job of putting it together that I ordered one today.

I will attempt to be as patient as you were in doing the finish.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nicely done job! You should be proud!

Any time you finish a project that is something to be proud of not everyone achieves the checkered flag
also sometimes perfectionists never finish a job because it's not perfect (how could it be?) :)
you have not only finished but it is VERY nice
Great job !

Ditto Keef's comments. I sometimes have to remind myself that "done is good." I learn too much from finishing the first and moving on to the second to spend forever trying to get the first perfect. I'm not sure that makes sense, but I think it's sometimes best to just say, "Next!"

I was on the edge about picking up one of these kits, but now I'm going for it. So long as I know what's possible, I can only blame myself! Ordered!

After a month of cure time, I then wetsanded with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500 and then 2000 grit sandpaper, then used 3M rubbing compound, machine polish, then Maguier's Scratch X to buff it out...
So in my new full time occupation of trying to be just like you, I ordered a Grizzly kit which arrived yesterday. My question is when you say "a month of cure time", did you mean that you left it hanging up - you didn't touch it for a month? Is that necessary?

Thanks,
Doug

So in my new full time occupation of trying to be just like you, I ordered a Grizzly kit which arrived yesterday. My question is when you say "a month of cure time", did you mean that you left it hanging up - you didn't touch it for a month? Is that necessary?

Thanks,
Doug

..........yup

I'm working on a grizzly kit. mine looks no where near as good as that one... must have got a defect :p

Thanks for sharing! Beautiful finish on that ukulele. I've been curious about the Grizzly kits myself. Yours is the nicest I've seen yet. Congratulations. And welcome to the ukulele.

Apparently the step-up kit wise is from stewmac.com
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Ukulele_Kits/Soprano_Ukulele_Kit.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=340

I keep feeling like I just don't have the patience bandwidth to build either of these well. So for now, I'm a buyer, not a builder. Very impressive.

That is a striking finish! Pretty little uke!

Agreed! The finish sets it miles away from any of the other grizzly builds I've seen. Anthony, if you don't mind my asking, do you have any links to the grain filler you used? My grizzly kit is supposed to get here Monday and i imagine I'll be jumping on the finish process soon(that month long waiting period is a killer).

Top Bottom