Fret Dressing... is it a Black Art?

Timbuck

Reaction score
Just received a compliment on my fret dressing....I'm too embarrased to tell them how I do it...Co's I don't use a fret file...No masking off either .. and it only takes me about 2 min's to do it ;)..I'll just have to keep it a Trade Secret for now.:D

Is there a point to the op?

Yeah, Timbuck, now you've gotta give up the trade secrets, or lose precious street cred.
;)

But seriously, I can't get myself to spend too much time on those frets, so it's on a need to know basis. As in, I need to know.
;);)

:D Thats only for the crown (If needed) If I showed you how I do it, all the purists will give me a lot of flack (which I can't handle)..but "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" i've turned out the last 60 ukes done this way with no complaints at all...it's all down to basic industrial deburing techniques when you think about it...You just have to make it feel smooth when your hand runs down the edge...(There's no need to make each fret end to be ball shaped)

Last edited:

Everyone knows about the time frame it takes and the "allure" of even the term "fret dressing". Let me take that back, in the builder's community, we all know about fret dressing, and how long it takes. We also know about how Ken goes about his process, and he's just sharing his thoughts and support of the right tools for the job. . .

That's how I take it, and appreciate it.

Aaron

"it's all down to basic industrial deburing techniques..."

Oh yeah, Silly me! I forgot about that Basic Industrial De-Burring Techniques class I had in the 8th grade. I think it was in between Algebra I and Biology!

Top Bottom