New to UU Forum

Piedmont Uke

Reaction score
Hi,
Quick introduction. I'm new to the UU building forum. Interested in music,woodworking,& folk instrument building. Have built a mountain dulcimer,5 string banjo,and a few bowed psaltries. Now interested in building an ukulele.I've been reading posts here for a month or so and I can see this is the right place to ask questions as I start and as I go along. Glad to meet you all.
Ken

Welcome Ken,

I'd be interested in seeing what you've built so far - the mountain dulcimer in particular.
I think you came to the right place - hope we can help you with your ukulele build.
Erich

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'll do my best to figure out how to upload some pictures to this forum. I'm sure there's a how to section on here somewhere.

Meanwhile I'll start myself a list of questions. I've found a tremendous amount of good advise from just browsing the older posts so far.You guys are paving the way for a lot of novice builders. What better way to spend your time than making something that will bring joy to people for years and possibly generations to come. Not to mention keeping handmade instrument building from becoming a dying art.
Ken

Hey Ken. I also started out with mountain dulcimers and banjos. I just recently discovered the bowed psaltery and now have neighborhood kids stopping by the house to "play that guitar thing." A few years ago I made my daughter a hammered dulcimer for her 18th birthday. I had a tough time getting information on building that instrument...I never could find builders who were willing to share what they learned. That is the beauty of this forum...these folks know what they are doing and are willing to share what they've learned. Can't ask for more than that. Welcome.

Hi,
As promised I have uploaded some pix to my "Albums". One album is of instruments I've made, another is of some vintage instruments I own and appreciate. Just one ukulele in there...a 1950 Regal Soprano. Lots of real playing wear and cracks galore but it sounds so sweet. My wife found it on one of her antiquing trips....$20.00.
Ken

Great looking instruments Ken
I'm glad you've decided to reach the summit of luthierie....uke making!! :nana:

Thanks ksquine! I understand that ukes are one of the harder instruments to make sound good. Certainly looking forward to the new challenge. Hoping to find the support that I need here on this forum.
Ken

Hi Fred,
Can't take credit for the psaltry design. Saw it at a artisans fair in West Virginia. The cool thing is that there is no bridge but the instrument sings loudly.This one is a "soprano". 9 notes. But the same concept works for 25 note versions also. Basically a layered up "framework" with the top and back routed out to the thickness of a soundboard. Great craft show stuff.
Ken

Top Bottom