Kamaka factory tour

mrmr

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just got back from Oahu. It was my first time there so I did the Kamaka factory tour.

Here's a rough video I made of the tour which is broken up in 3 parts.

enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThereAreNoTubes

And what was your impression of Kamaka? Or better yet, did ya buy one? Did you visit KoAloha also? They're located in the Kalihi/Palama area on Kohou St. adjacent to Kapalama Canal.
KoalohaUkulele.png

my impression

The tour was really cool. The first part with Kamaka telling the history and stories was great. I was surprised to see that some of the process is automated with the "car rim machine" and the laser cutter, but I guess that makes sense. Honestly with my limited knowledge the Kamaka's sounded great. Ironically we didn't have time to get to the Koaloha tour, but I ended up buying a KoAloha concert and I love it. I haven't stopped playing it since.

So did I make the right choice? Also considering the big difference in price.

Congrats on the KoAloha. Personally, I don't think there is a right or wrong choice. If you're happy with the feel, looks and the sound of the instrument, you made the right choice. As far as prices go, when I was there last year, the cost of Kamakas were gonna go up as of 1 Jan 08. I really haven't checked the price differences since so I don't have a clue between a KoAloha and a Kamaka, costwise.

compare

Congrats on the KoAloha. Personally, I don't think there is a right or wrong choice. If you're happy with the feel, looks and the sound of the instrument, you made the right choice. As far as prices go, when I was there last year, the cost of Kamakas were gonna go up as of 1 Jan 08. I really haven't checked the price differences since so I don't have a clue between a KoAloha and a Kamaka, costwise.

In that case, I have a winner.

As far as cost comparison goes, there's was a 4 week wait on a Kamaka being made from a factory order and the concert is about $820 I think I got a pretty good deal by meeting up with musicguymic over in Kaneohe. He's a great guy and takes extra care in fine tuning all of the instruments he sells. Considering I got a case and some other stuff with mine, the difference was at least $250. That's great, but again the important part is I friggin love my KoAloha!

Although, I might have to get a Kamaka in the future...just to be sure of course ;)

Which island is it on? How much did it cost? Was it worth it?

Thanks

The tour is free, I really enjoyed it. Enough to make a video I suppose. Worth it? I guess since its free, you can't go wrong. I haven't done the Koaloha tour, but I hear that's even better since they make things more by hand.

Thanks for posting that vid... That looks really cool. If I ever get out to Oahu I want to do that and the Kanile'a factory (if they offer a tour too.)

Top Bottom