Sell a uke, make a UU donation?

Captain_Lovehandles

Reaction score
We had a recent suggestion on another (guitar) message board that anyone who sells a guitar through the mb's marketplace should consider making a donation to help keep the board in the black. Considering some people sell a lot, and are not paying any fees as they would to sell on ebay, to me it sounds reasonable. And it's not required, but suggested.

I looked at the UU main page and can't find a link to send a donation. Maybe with the ads for insurance companies etc they don't need it. But there could at least be a paypal link in rayan's "How to sell a uke in the marketplace" post, or a suggestion that a seller might consider buying a tshirt or DVD.

Thoughts?

Great idea! I'm still quite new here and I did put an ukulele up for sale. I would be more than happy to make a UU donation with the sale of my ukulele!

Matt

I belong to a lot of different forums out there and the one that works the best is a donation. A donation were you would get a icon next to your name showing your support for the forum. You can have one, two, three or four levels of support. So next to your name it would have an icon that would say gold supporter, or silver etc. And then make it were if you want to sell on the forum you need to be a supporter.

I don't mind that members sell their stuff here but what bugs me a lot is when I see people that has a store and come in the marketplace just to say, I receive this and that to promote and plug their store and not paying anything to UU!!!

It's even more annoying when they only come to post when they have something to promote for their store!

I belong to a lot of different forums out there and the one that works the best is a donation. A donation were you would get a icon next to your name showing your support for the forum. You can have one, two, three or four levels of support. So next to your name it would have an icon that would say gold supporter, or silver etc. And then make it were if you want to sell on the forum you need to be a supporter.

That is a good way to do it!

On the Acoustic Guitar Forum you have to be a Charter Member in order to post something for sale. A Charter Membership is very reasonable, I think $15 a year and they take the payment through PayPal. Most of the folks who are active there get the charter membership anyway just to support the forum. It seems to work pretty well.

Matt

Great idea!

Right now I am thinnning my oversized herd, and I'd be happy to make a UU donation for any ukes I sell through here!

fumanshu, it's possible that some of the people with stores may also be advertisers on the main pages, like Lanikai, Mainland, Moore Betah... who do pay money to support UU. Most of the (IMHO well deserved) great press that UkeRepublic gets, for example, is from us satisfied customers, and we try not to post a direct link.

But I agree with you totally. A dealer who is not an advertiser should not use the marketplace to sell ukes in quantity.

Captain_Lovehandles wrote:

fumanshu, it's possible that some of the people with stores may also be advertisers on the main pages, like Lanikai, Mainland, Moore Betah... who do pay money to support UU. Most of the (IMHO well deserved) great press that UkeRepublic gets, for example, is from us satisfied customers, and we try not to post a direct link.

But I agree with you totally. A dealer who is not an advertiser should not use the marketplace to sell ukes in quantity.

I'm totally agree with you. I'm 100% to support people with stores that buy a banner on the UU main page and I think they deserve that we support them. It's the same thing for luthiers that have 1 or 2 ukes that they just finish and would like to sell or people that have let say 1 product that they would liket to sell I'm down with that too.

But unfortunately, there's dealer that come here in the marketplace to plug and advertise all the brands of ukes they have and their store but they are not advetiser on UU main page. I think this should not be tolerate because they are just taking advantage of the forum.

I think the donation idea is a good idea but I don't think it would be right to make members have to contribute in order to sell. Most of us that sell in the marketplace (i've sold 3 ukes in 2 years) offer our ukes at a significantly reduced rate for UU members.

I hear you man.... I sell things too at a great mark down and still get lowballers........ I even pick up the tab for shipping.......only to see my uke being sold at another site for 75-100 more less than 48 hours after the buyer receives it........ I say, let the guy who makes a profit off my generosity contribute........

I hear you man.... I sell things too at a great mark down and still get lowballers........ I even pick up the tab for shipping.......only to see my uke being sold at another site for 75-100 more less than 48 hours after the buyer receives it........ I say, let the guy who makes a profit off my generosity contribute........

The OP's suggestion was that you should "consider" donating and to point out to the UU mods that they should have a link for folks that want to contribute financially to help to keep the site going. If they create this link, let your conscience be your guide. Just because your buyer "flipped" your instrument doesn't mean that UU didn't help to bring a market to you. It IS nice to have captive market to sell ukes to without having to pay sales fees. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom