• High G uke?

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Low G uke?

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters

Jamie Holding

Reaction score
Hi again,

After a grueling six months of exams and revision (GCSEs), I'm finally coming out the other end and in the mood for doing some more arranging.

I'm planning to branch into Romantic guitar music and do a book of Fernando Sor for the uke. I'm interested in whether you would like me to arrange it for a uke tuned to low or high G?

Low G arrangements can be more true to the original and sound more satisfactory but I'm anxious about the demand for that type of uke tuning. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

James Holding

http://sites.google.com/site/classicalukulelearrangements/

For classical, I prefer much more in low G, like you said, it's more true to original and deep bottom end sound just add something to classical pieces in my pesonal opinion.

so...low G for me.

Aloha Jamie,
Oh Gee, HI for me!!!!
Many thanks, Keep um vibrating them strings....
Uke On!!! MM Stan

Hi Jamie,

I'm a great fan of Renaissance music and I love and have played many of your arrangements.

I believe all your previous arrangements were re-entrant tuning? I quite enjoyed playing them in that tuning and felt that they sounded pretty good and reasonably appropriate for the time period of the music.

However, I just purchase a low-g tenor and have played a few renaissance ditties on it; it sounds and feels more right. The nice richness added by the low G reminds me of that big bass twang that you might get from a theorbo or arch-lute. It makes the uke more like a continuo instrument.

My vote is for low g though i would still play the arrangements if they were re-entrant tuning.

thanks again for your great website and contribution to renaissance/baroque/romantic arrangements!
be well,
Jamie

I love them both, High and Low G. But for Sor, I would go with the Low G. I am always looking for more Low G arrangements anyway.
–Lori

I just switched to low g, so that would be my preference.

Thanks!

Tom

Top Bottom